PDA

View Full Version : RED and output

Martin Landsburg
06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi, I've searched everywhere, in the fest forums and output forums and still need to ask the following,

has anyone else shot with the RED and had output for DVXuserFest before?

I'm mixing footage with other cameras as well, but I'd like to know if i should conform it all to the lowest common denominator (in this case the D90 or HVX) resolution wise?

What resolution should i output to? Would 1280x720 if i stay within 50mb limit?

Are there any links to any general guidelines on output?

Thanks!
martin

Ben Sliker
06-30-2009, 10:35 AM
There's people who have outputted to 1280x720 before and submitted to the fests this way. But that film didn't have a lot of motion and could afford a bitrate hit to get a larger resolution.

Regardless of what file resolution you have, you're stuck about about 1000k/s bitrate to get under the 50 mb file size limit. The smaller the resolution, the better that bitrate is going to look. It really doesn't matter what camera you shoot on, Red footage doesn't compress (in size) any better or worse than footage shot on an HVX or EX3, etc.

My recommendation for a high quality fest submission, is to keep it somewhere between 700-800 pixels horizontal resolution, like 720x405 for instance and encode your video at about 1000k/s. Audio is also important! It can be quite the file size hog. Encode with AAC or IMA 4:1 at around 96k/s and you should strike a good balance between size and quality.