PDA

View Full Version : should i?

Steve Dave
06-27-2009, 02:58 PM
im expecting all the replies to unanimous but id just like to make sure
should i buy a used dvx100b or a new gh1?
XD
just trying to get people to persuade me what to buy

yia
06-27-2009, 03:04 PM
I sold my dvx100b three months ago to get the gh1

StMad
06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
The first and most important question - which will you be using it for...underwater or aerial photography?

Steve Dave
06-27-2009, 03:17 PM
ill be using it on the ground?... o.0

Cassius
06-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd go with a GH1, regardless of what it's being used for. DVX's are great, but they're way outside of modern technology. The GH1 is going to get you a ridiculously better picture for about the same price.

Steve Dave
06-27-2009, 04:52 PM
thats what ive been thinking but just wondering if there is any camcorder with same quality and price as gh1 but bigger (similar size as dvx100) cus the camera size of the gh1 makes me not want to buy it.

Ian-T
06-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Nope, not yet.

Ben_B
06-27-2009, 06:05 PM
GH1. You'll get a better picture because of the lens capability, and because of HD. The DVX100, much as I love it, is basically obsolete. It's obsolete for filmmakers because it has little lens support and it's difficult to find an adapter, and the lack of HD is an annoyance, and for ENG I'd say nobody wants your DVX100 footage at this point. For filmmakers I'd recommend the GH1 over an HVX200, but for other things like events, etc, I'd recommend an HMC 150 because the cards are cheap and it has the advantages of something like a DVX or HVX for that.

Kholi
06-27-2009, 06:30 PM
thats what ive been thinking but just wondering if there is any camcorder with same quality and price as gh1 but bigger (similar size as dvx100) cus the camera size of the gh1 makes me not want to buy it.

Just curious: why bigger? Or why do you want a larger camera? Not that it's wrong or anything, genuinely curious as to why you want a bigger cam.

PappasArts
06-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Just curious: why bigger?

My friend asked his girlfriend that same question.....

He didn't like the answers! ;-)

Ian-T
06-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow...it only took 12 miniutes for someone to give that punchline. lol

Steve Dave
06-27-2009, 07:47 PM
wow that wasnt a nice comment -.- lol
well it sorta feel weirds to be recording with a small slr sized camera i want something with more size and weight too it
not something huge like canon xl2 though

reaktor
06-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I felt the same way when I was first getting cameras. After a few years, I've realized that I don't care very much about the size of my cameras... they just have to look really cool now.

sunburst
06-28-2009, 03:34 AM
SIZE of cameras is generally important to TALENT, and possibly bystanders/
investors.

Actors will likely be much more IMPRESSED with a Panavision sized camera
on a HUGE dolly. rather than an hv20 on walmart tripod.

This CAN affect the dynamics of a production.

Of course if you are an Oscar winner, you could shoot with the xl-1, without
too many gripes.

Ian-T
06-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Well...in those cases you just sit your actors down and show them a montage of your work preferably on some sort of big screen. I'm sure once they pick their jaws back up off the floor they will have an entirely different kind of attitude. :)

Steve Dave
06-28-2009, 04:14 PM
eh i guess i can invest in something better in the future
maybe like the hvx200 i want that so bad XD
i think ill just get the gh1 first ? XD

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
http://comeondoit.ytmnd.com/

Kholi
06-28-2009, 04:30 PM
wow that wasnt a nice comment -.- lol
well it sorta feel weirds to be recording with a small slr sized camera i want something with more size and weight too it
not something huge like canon xl2 though

Don't mind Pappas, he's a dirty bird. LoL.

I'm with you, though. I do like the discrete factor of VDSLRs a LOT. What's cool is that there are so many ways to use them.

For instance, say you wanted to go SUPER handheld (just the camera and a lens), then you could take the GH-1 and the Kit lens out with the camera strap around your neck and get some awesome shots. Thanks to the lil LCD on it, this is a pretty viable solution. Not to mention being able to use the viewfinder while shooting. woot.

Or, what if you didn't have to go super guerilla but you still wanted to go handheld? Tack some weight on, build the camera out a little with what you feel is necessary and you got it.

Right now my MKii weighs about 13-14lbs thanks to the Zacuto lunchbox. But it's the first time I've been able to truly do handheld in excess of 35mm without an IS (image stabilized) lens with these cameras. I kinda wish I had a 250 - 400mm lens somewhere to try that out at this point, I've got 180mm handheld down.

So, I'm with you! Gotta get some more weight. =D

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Discreet is def. cool. Though when we were shooting in an alley with a guy that looks like our guy running down the street with a realistic looking gun and a machete - I actually had someone carry a reflector around conspicuously open just so we'd look more like a film crew.

Nighthawk
06-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Tack some weight on, build the camera out a little with what you feel is necessary and you got it.

Tack some weight on? I'd need a ship's anchor. My handheld stuff looks like like I'm shooting during a prostate exam. This cam is so damn light. I'm sure it just takes gettin' use to (he prays).

Jim Klatt
06-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't do event or doc shooting with the Gh1 as an A cam.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Tack some weight on? I'd need a ship's anchor. My handheld stuff looks like like I'm shooting during a prostate exam. This cam is so damn light. I'm sure it just takes gettin' use to (he prays).
you wanna take your wrists out of the equation. I recommend the spider brace for $69. It might be a bit of a compromise for some of our heavier cams but my op and I shot our GH1 action short with it. All hand held, and we loved it. The spider braces are so light and with the GH1 you don't need any counter balance. But now you have three points of contact and you pivot at your waist, etc. to pan so you move like you have a bigger cam on a shoulder mount.

Nighthawk
06-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Jack. Pretty inexpensive. I'll be right on that.

Kholi
06-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Jack were you using the kit lens?

Did you feel the need for any bracing with he os on?

Kholi
06-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Maaaan I hopred the same thing. But for moving pictures the hands only concept beyond a certain focal lenght just doesn't seem to work. Like Jack says you generally have to take the wrists out.

If you have any rails/rods, try putting something really heavy on the back end so that your biceps and forearms end up taking the heat.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Jack were you using the kit lens?

Did you feel the need for any bracing with he os on?

Yeah kit lens only. We were and we were afraid of auto focus so manual only.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of the question so I'll take my best two guesses :)
Guess 1: Did we have Stabilization on? No stabilization we turned it off as it seemed to be doing something weird in some modes.

Guess 2: Did I feel the lens needed any additional support on the lens? No seemed fine. Just screwed the cam on top of the Spiderbrace and went with it.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Jack. Pretty inexpensive. I'll be right on that.

I just got some nice rails, which I want to use to use my follow focus etc. But I'll be using the spiderbrace every chance I get. So much more stable, much more ergonomic, and so light it's like shooting with air.

Ben_B
06-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't do event or doc shooting with the Gh1 as an A cam.

I wouldn't recommend the DVX100 either...I'd go with HMC-150: video camera reliability and functionality, but has long record times thanks to a codec that sacrifices some (but not enough to matter for doc or event) quality, at thousands cheaper than a new HVX or HPX. P2 is a weak point of those cams for events/docs cause of how expensive it is to add new cards, and since the HVX can't shoot HD on tape you're basically using a DVX, so I'd say the HMC is totally the way to go for that.

For independent filmmaking I'd say you'll be hard pressed to beat the GH1 at the price point..by a huge margin (HMC-150 + DOF adapter + lenses is the other budget option....you're already at least 3 times the GH1 price, for the same DOF and comparable image quality.)

Ben_B
06-28-2009, 10:47 PM
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1338/morerig.jpg

There you go, that'll make your GH1 nice and heavy, and easy to hold, for under $50. :)

I've taken a lot of that out and made a handle system using about half the parts of that one I made, that you can configure in a ton of different ways, and you don't need a clamp.

I've also modified the thing to be shootable like a gunstock or on shoulder like spider brace, seemed nice. This stuff works pretty well, it's just a little heavy, good thing the cam is so light!

Steve Dave
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I just got some nice rails, which I want to use to use my follow focus etc. But I'll be using the spiderbrace every chance I get. So much more stable, much more ergonomic, and so light it's like shooting with air.

when u say ure going to use a spiderbrace ur talking about the mini rig version right
just trying to make sure cus it would be insanity to use a shoulder brace for a small gh1

Finster
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't understand - what's the difference between the Spiderbrace 1 and Spiderbrace 2? Both sell for $69 and look exactly the same.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
when u say ure going to use a spiderbrace ur talking about the mini rig version right
just trying to make sure cus it would be insanity to use a shoulder brace for a small gh1
No the shoulder brace. And it's the opposite of insanity. A camera can get so small it begins to work against you. The shoulder brace is not for weight. It's to take your wrists out of the equation, give you three points of contact, place the camera where a film camer would be, and force your movement vocabulary to be more conrtolled and like that of a film camera.

A pistol grip still involves your wrists and 1lb camera flying all over.
The pilot grip like the one made of pipe takes your wrists out somewhat by having the two grips and that's good.

But film cameras are seldom held out in front of you like a basket ball you're about to pass to someone, moving around like a satellite to your body. "Hand Held" film camera means shoulder mount, 90% of the time.

This thing is like a feather and at the very least you'll want to pull your arms into your body to try to brace it.

Or for 70 bucks you can not only brace it, but place it where a film camera goes, and move like a film camera.

See the guy coming at the camera with his gun in my sig?

If I was holding the camera out in front of me while trying to run backwards, I'd have so many points of motion going that would be crazy. Not only would I have to keep the camera at a somewhat consistant level (up down and side to side - arms), I'd have to worry about keeping it at a consistant tilt as well (pointing down or up - wrists). With it on my shoulder I have three points of contact and the Spiderbrace is very ergonomic, it tucks around your soulder. Now I mostly just have to worry about bending my knees and keeping the framing - but now it's keeping the framing based more on control, not because my wrists dipped when I stepped on a rock, or because my arms lagged behind my body.

Try holding something out infront of you with just your arms and run backwards.

Also again, it's not just about being more stable, it's about the fact that now you have to move like you have a movie camera.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't understand - what's the difference between the Spiderbrace 1 and Spiderbrace 2? Both sell for $69 and look exactly the same.
I'm not sure mine are old. I think one was originally for the XL2 so you could side mount it and more to get your eye behind the right angled EVF. Also one of mine dissasembles for packing and one doesn't. I'll look around on the website later, or maybe you could email them. We'll figure it out though. I see they've updated their designs and I may want a newer one too.

Steve Dave
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
hmm i see even if a gh1 would look weird on a spiderbrace i guess what you say makes sense

PS:.... it still would look weird

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
hmm i see even if a gh1 would look weird on a spiderbrace i guess what you say makes sense

PS:.... it still would look weird
Lol. Not so weird. Should have thought of this before.
Co-DP on the action short DVXuser Brandon Boggs with Spiderbrace.
http://humblebee.smugmug.com/photos/565616517_dKgRD-S.jpg

http://humblebee.smugmug.com/photos/565620417_J3C7D-S.jpg

Me on what's been described as "Monkey Cam" (with Spiderbrace)
http://humblebee.smugmug.com/photos/565640862_sA45r-M.jpg

DVXuser Drew Ott on Steadicam
http://humblebee.smugmug.com/photos/565638331_7oEzW-S.jpg http://humblebee.smugmug.com/photos/565639827_6DmDJ-S.jpg

Just for fun;
http://humblebee.smugmug.com/photos/565645012_naMg5-M.jpg

Photos by H. Cherdon Bedford.
Gallery At:
http://humblebee.smugmug.com/gallery/8581699_cUZeZ

Steve Dave
06-29-2009, 05:42 PM
hmm wellllll.......
the reason it doesnt look weird is cus of the lens hood lol
XD
but i have to say it doesnt look so bad
what kind of hood is that
ive been looking for some but theyre all round and i want something square like that

Steve Dave
06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
looks sorta like leica
from the dvx100 XD lol

Kholi
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Jack, any spiderbrace footage beyond 35mm in these tests? Thanks for sharing.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Jack, any spiderbrace footage beyond 35mm in these tests? Thanks for sharing.
A lot of it I'd say. Especially the opening shots. Even the tracking shot with the flags was spiderbrace / handheld. Will ask Co-DP Brandon (Bboggs) to post. He will remember better.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
hmm wellllll.......
the reason it doesnt look weird is cus of the lens hood lol
XD
but i have to say it doesnt look so bad
what kind of hood is that
ive been looking for some but theyre all round and i want something square like that

That's the Cokin P series hood / filter holder. The hood part is infinitely stackable, so you could buy 70 of them and keep sticking then on the front of the last one. :)

Steve Dave
06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
That's the Cokin P series hood / filter holder. The hood part is infinitely stackable, so you could buy 70 of them and keep sticking then on the front of the last one. :)

lol ahah thats a pretty good thing to know
of course making it come out too much would probably cut into the footage XD
but... it would be something fun to try out

bluesgeek
07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
There you go, that'll make your GH1 nice and heavy, and easy to hold, for under $50. :)

I've taken a lot of that out and made a handle system using about half the parts of that one I made, that you can configure in a ton of different ways, and you don't need a clamp.

I've also modified the thing to be shootable like a gunstock or on shoulder like spider brace, seemed nice. This stuff works pretty well, it's just a little heavy, good thing the cam is so light!

That 1/2" threaded steel pipe can support a fairly large rig.