PDA

View Full Version : SDHC cards for GH1 (where to buy)

tall_sided
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm just trying to find a place that sells affordable, brand name class 6 sdhc cards for the GH1. Any thoughts? I'd like to get Sandisk or Kingston, but I haven't been able to find any info on whether or not the two aforementioned companies are making Classs 6 SDHC cards larger than 8gb. Thanks.

Ben_B
06-24-2009, 09:30 PM
When I'm notified my camera has shipped, which should be next monday, I will be swinging by Costco and picking up a few Sandisk 4gb cards.

RS-Colo
06-25-2009, 06:42 AM
You may not need a Class-6 card. Check out this thread:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=175358

I just bought a "3-pack" of SanDisk Ultra II 16GB cards. These are the Class-4 cards tested in the thread. If you are taking still photos, a 4GB or even a 2GB card is probably enough. But video, especially MJPEG, takes a lot of gigs. A 4GB card will give you about 16 minutes of top resolution MJPEG or 30 minutes of AVCHD top resolution. Note that the MJPEG has a maximum of 2GB per file. So you would need to take two or more videos to fill a 4GB card. The "3-pack" cost about $200 which is a lot. But there is currently a rebate of $90 for three cards from SanDisk. The catch is the purchase must be made by the 27th and the rebate postmarked by July 14th. So my net sost is less than $40 per 16GB card.

Now if my GH1 would just get here...

mikeydvx
06-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Class 4 cards (I use Sandisk Ultra II) work fine for all AVCHD video modes. I've tested them with the highest quality MJPEG as well but only for short videos. I think class 6 cards are only needed for MJPEG because the class 4 cards are right on the edge of what MJPEG needs as far as speed. For everything else, class 4 cards are fine.

Mike

tall_sided
06-25-2009, 07:26 AM
RS-Colo, where did you buy your SanDisk cards from in order to get that deal? It's a good one!

J Davis
06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm the one that was testing the class 4 cards as linked in the post above. Just to clarify I was using 8gig Sandisk Video HD rated at class 4. Initially when I started the thread I was testing the 1080p at 17mbps and there was no problems. Yesterday I tested 720p60 AVCHD for 1hour 30m but it was many short clips not one long contimuous clip. Again no problems.

With mpeg there is a 2gig file size limit which means your camera will stop the record by itself around the 12-15min mark (depending on the amount of contrast in your subject matter). More about this at this thread here (LINK (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=175332)). I have done multiple shots at this length all with the same card. No problems there either.

I can't vouch for other class 4 cards, only the ones I tested. I bought my cards here (LINK (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=&pn=1&st=search&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=sandisk+sdhc+video+hd&bhs=t&shs=sandisk+sdhc+video+hd&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=0&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=))

RS-Colo
06-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned where I got them, but didn't. It was Adorama.

wowubbzy
06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Just picked up a pack, there's a $9 coupon right now, $20 for a 2pk sandisk is not bad. I was going to insist on 8GB card but couldn't pass on the price. The SD card prices have gone up. I bought a Transcend 16GB class6 a while ago for $30. Now it can't be found for less than $40.

Also I will not touch any Adata card from now on. I have 3 Adata cards, two 8GB and a 4GB. They're all falling apart! The plastic "legs" around the connector are all busted. One card won't get recognized by my LX3 camera. Another the write protect tab is completely loose I had to tape it.

All Sandisk and Transcend cards are much more solid.

PS the class4 Sandisk Ultra2 works in the GH1 just fine.

DrDave
06-25-2009, 08:08 PM
I like the Transcend Class 6 SDHC, although the Kingston class 4 has a good price right now, both at Newegg.

J Davis
06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Also I will not touch any Adata card from now on. I have 3 Adata cards, two 8GB and a 4GB. They're all falling apart! The plastic "legs" around the connector are all busted. One card won't get recognized by my LX3 camera. Another the write protect tab is completely loose I had to tape it.

Thats funny you saying that about A-data as a dude in another thread was shouting me down about how good they are. I have only ever used Sandisk Video HD – glad to hear your recommendations on Transcend and Untra II.

BTW - smaller cards can sometime be better. On a shoot you can use them in rotation and have someone with a laptop to copy, transcode and verify takes while you are shooting.

DonalDuc
06-26-2009, 12:44 AM
I always use cheapest Transcend Class6 16 GB cards. They work well, even with Canon-SX1-43Mbps(!)-video.

43 Mbps are 5.3 MBps! Why use (expensive)(Sandisk) 15 MBps or 30 MBps overkill?

Park Edwards
06-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Thats funny you saying that about A-data as a dude in another thread was shouting me down about how good they are. I have only ever used Sandisk Video HD glad to hear your recommendations on Transcend and Untra II.

BTW - smaller cards can sometime be better. On a shoot you can use them in rotation and have someone with a laptop to copy, transcode and verify takes while you are shooting.

i assume that dude was me and where exactly did I "shout you down", whatever that means? never claimed they were good, never claimed they better. I did say

"People spending money on ultra III's or whatever are either really bad at math or don't mind spending money on unnecessary gear."

And actually one guys stands by them.

PappasArts
06-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Isn't it better to buy class 6 since eventually the bit rates could go up and if they do; you won't have to upgrade from class 2 or 4 spending more money. Buying class 6 cards that already have way more overhead for current standards; puts you in line for future bit rates.....

J Davis
06-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Even on a low budget shoot where cast and crew are working for free, you often have the location rented, money already spent on lights, props, taxi's have been paid for, catering paid for, people have taken time off their regular work to be there for your shoot ... there is so much contributing to capturing those takes. Not for the sake of saving a few dollars - buy the best cards you can find and test them thoroughly beforehand.

Class 6 will be good for copying off faster, especially with a good card reader.
Your own road tested cards are more reliable than a new card until you have tested it.
Do searches and read reviews on the brand of card before buying.