PDA

View Full Version : Ideal shooting settings

Orchidthief
06-24-2009, 05:47 PM
What's up fellas. New to all manual settings I now have with the Gh1. Just wondering if anyone had pointers on what to settings to shoot on in terms of shooting in 1080/24 and 720p60, i.e. shutter, iso, and aperture settings?

Understand the basics of having more selective focus when I stop down to a wider Iris, but how about in terms of shutter settings and such? Iso?

PhilD
06-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Manual controls are the same for all cameras, I suggest you read a DSLR 101 article.

A good way to learn is to select the "P" mode on your GH1 (instead of say, iA and Manual) and see what the camera selects for every situation. It's like the Auto (iA) mode but you can see the settings (shutter ISO etc) and alter them if you're not satisfied.

upshot
06-24-2009, 06:44 PM
worship this (http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm)
consider this (http://www.kalons.nl/dofcalcen.html)
think 1/50 1/120

Cassius
06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
You misused a few terms there. Stopping down means having a higher F-stop number, which represents a more closed aperture. The more closed or 'stopped down' the aperture, the deeper your depth of field, or less selective focus.

That aperture is, in my opinion, the one to start with. In photography I almost always shoot aperture priority, even when I'm doing a long exposure effect. Shutter speed obviously defines how long the shutter is open and should be adjusted for proper exposure. Longer time means more motion blur and more light getting in, so getting a good balance for what you want is the goal. Blurred lights and running water use this to get a motion effect. In video mode you're limited by frame rate on the slow end. ISO/ASA represents sensitivity to light; more sensitivity means you can operate better in low light, or with a stopped down aperture, or faster shutter speed. However, higher settings pretty much always increase noise. Unlike film, digital noise doesn't look all that nice. So that's how what you asked for works; how you use them is up to you.

Orchidthief
06-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Cassius, thanks for the input. Will take what you said into consideration!

John Caballero
06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
There are so many color settings and looks with the GH1 that it will be fun to experiment with all on a single scene to see which are better under different circumstances. Experimenting and learning this camera will be a great summer project.

Orchidthief
06-24-2009, 08:30 PM
There are so many color settings and looks with the GH1 that it will be fun to experiment with all on a single scene to see which are better under different circumstances. Experimenting and learning this camera will be a great summer project.

Couldn't agree with you more!

tall_sided
06-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Anyone remember what the best shutter settings were when shooting 720P / 60fps to later convert to 720P / 24fps? I remember Kholi touched on this somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Also, what about shooting 720P / 60fps with the expectation to use it for slow motion?

Martti Ekstrand
06-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Use a 1/120 shutter speed ( or perhaps even shorter ) if you know the shoot is gonna be slo-mo, otherwise use 1/60.