PDA

View Full Version : HDMI to Component Video Cable question..

PappasArts
06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Can I use a HDMI to Component Video Cable to hook the GH1 for playback to a monitor that doesn't have a HDMI in?

Park Edwards
06-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Why not? The signal is the same, so it should. My guess would be yeah.

PappasArts
06-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Why not? The signal is the same, so it should. My guess would be yeah.

Awesome! So I'll get a mini HDMI to HDMI to component cable adapter and go from there!

Mike@AF
06-24-2009, 02:25 AM
The signal is NOT the same. HDMI is a digital signal cable and there's a handshake involved. Component video is an analog signal cable with no handshake. You'd need a converter to convert HDMI to component video or vice versa. So you'll need the Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, an HDMI to component video converter (little box, powered), and a component video cable.

Park Edwards
06-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Er, yeah. There are little converters out there but they cost too much money. Fury i think makes the best ones...supposedly. $100-$200 dollars, and I think most of them are hdmi to vga component. You can however, your monitor, if it has component, might have dvi which is %100 digital signal and can easily get an hdmi to dvi cable which runs like $10 bux. Don't be fooled into believing an hdmi cable to component or vga exists if it costs under $80.00

PappasArts
06-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Why couldn't they have had a component out for playback......... Oh well....

Park Edwards
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Why couldn't they have had a component out for playback......... Oh well....

They do have composite out for playback.

PappasArts
06-24-2009, 12:44 PM
They do have composite out for playback.

How about HDMI to DVI at least. So my Dell 24'' can be used to review shots?

An HDMI to DVI adapter like this: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20DVI%20adapter.htm

Barry_Green
06-24-2009, 12:52 PM
HDMI to DVI is a simple adapter. HDMI to Component is a complete signal transformation. HDMI to DVI is easy, I use one of those on my Dell 24" occasionally.

Ben_B
06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah but we still can't use any of it for liveview out so... :(

Park Edwards
06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
How about HDMI to DVI at least. So my Dell 24'' can be used to review shots?

An HDMI to DVI adapter like this: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20DVI%20adapter.htm

Yup. I use a 17inc LCD to view back or monitor the d90. I got a cable though instead of an adapter from newegg.com

PappasArts
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
HDMI to DVI, Awesome, good enough for playback!

Was the Cable a mini HDMI to DVI?

Live out while recording would have been great, however v.1 at 1,499 this good; it's hard to find permission to complain from me. I was going though the PDF manual and reviews. They crammed so much in the menus/submenus that can be used in video. I don't think everyone has fully explored all it can do; instead there out having fun with their GH1's.....

Park Edwards
06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
HDMI to DVI, Awesome, good enough for playback!

Was the Cable a mini HDMI to DVI?

Live out while recording would have been great, however v.1 at 1,499 this good; it's hard to find permission to complain from me. I was going though the PDF manual and reviews. They crammed so much in the menus/submenus that can be used in video. I don't think everyone has fully explored all it can do; instead there out having fun with their GH1's.....

Well....no one has officially confirmed whether or not you can actually playback to an hdmi/dvi source with the gh1....this is the one area that's grey. I had to get a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter.

The resolution was fine, but this was with the d90. The output for the d90 was only 480p I think.

Barry_Green
06-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Of course you can play back with the GH1 to an HDMI monitor -- that's the whole point of the port even being there.

You can't monitor live, but you can play back.

Park Edwards
06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
i'm in the dark whether or not you can use it to live monitor prior to recording thru hdmi.
it's be great to use it to frame and focus the shots the use the camera's lcd when it's
recording

Ben_B
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
i'm in the dark whether or not you can use it to live monitor prior to recording thru hdmi.
it's be great to use it to frame and focus the shots the use the camera's lcd when it's
recording

Nope you can't. Not when you press record, not before, neither. You can focus with the viewfinder or LCD and then record, and then play it back on the monitor, like if you want to check it, but that is it.

Barry_Green
06-24-2009, 06:11 PM
The definitive final answer is no, you can never monitor through the HDMI, no matter what, no matter how. It is for playback only.

PappasArts
06-24-2009, 06:19 PM
As long as I can convert the GH1 HDMI mini to DVI to do playback on the 24" dell etc ( confirmed by Barry & others ), I can most definitely work with that.....

frankoferko
06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
For that, you would need the Canon EOS 5D Mark II instead, correct? As I understand that one will also give you an active HDMI OUT signal during recording mode at 480p. Which is plenty because almost no small monitor (say under 9-inch diagonal) can handle more lines, nor does it have to, as the entire panel is relatively small and will be sharp.