PDA

View Full Version : FCP workflow

Orchidthief
06-22-2009, 05:59 PM
What's up fellas. Received the cam today and trying to figure out if any of you guys had reliable workflow setup. This is my first venture into AVCHD cus I've always shot with tape so I'm a newb to all this from.

I've tried log and transfer through FCP6 but I get an invalid structure notice when trying to import. Could someone give me input on this? I plan on shooting test stuff tonight, so I'd like to know how to get this stuff off my SD card and into FCP6.

PhilD
06-22-2009, 06:49 PM
I can't answer your question unfortunately as everything works fine with my Final Cut Express 4 (including log and transfer) but I recommend you transfer the content of your SD onto your HD until you find a proper solution (just copy & paste the whole drive to make sure you keep the file structure - you can still import your mts files when they're on your external HD)

Martti Ekstrand
06-23-2009, 12:39 AM
As a quick and fairly easy way when cutting 'Closing Time' I ended up using Toast 10. It's AVCHD decoder does a good job and at the save stage you can choose any QuickTime codec you have installed. It's fast too, takes about 1.5x longer time than the clip's length. As an extra bonus you can set the frame rate so I used 25 fps on 720p50 files thereby both skipped one more step for that somewhere down the line and got clip files at nearly half the size than 50 fps files. Went back and re-converted the final clip at 50 fps and slo-moed it as I wanted to hold on a little longer at the end. The main drawback is it doesn't have any preset function for output format so once you quit it you have to set up the export settings manually again. It has a good preview video player too that plays the clip's full size.

dustatron
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I do not own this camera but i believe that it works the same way as p2 media from the hvx200.

you will want to copy the whole card over to your drive and point final cut to the folder that the file is in. you do not want to rename this folder or change the files in it in any way.

the other issue you might be having is that you do not have right right codec. you could check Panasonic's website.

JBH
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I've tried log and transfer through FCP6 but I get an invalid structure notice when trying to import. Could someone give me input on this? I plan on shooting test stuff tonight, so I'd like to know how to get this stuff off my SD card and into FCP6.

When you open up Log and Transfer you need to select the PRIVATE folder. That should open up the clips.

Jack