PDA

View Full Version : Video recording stops 1 second early: try this

mikeydvx
06-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Can someone else try this please: Start video recording in AVCHD mode using either FHD or HD (I tried both and it does the same thing). Just record a few seconds but before you stop the recording by pressing the button again, say "stopping the recording now" and press the video/record button just as you finish saying the word "now" so that the recording should stop just as you finish saying "now". Play it back (in the camera if you want). On my GH1, I get "stopping the recording" and I never hear the word "now" even though I pressed the stop button after that word. The video is ending about 1 second *before* you press the record button to stop the video.

I'm using a class 4 card which should be plenty fast enough for the AVCHD modes.

Mike

Mike@AF
06-22-2009, 01:20 PM
The manual tells you to use Class 6.

Ken7
06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Mike, I have the same issue with a digital recording back for a Sony Z5. The cam is a hybrid, using both tape and a digital card. When I start & stop, the tape is on the button, but the card is late to start and early to stop.

mikeydvx
06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
The manual tells you to use Class 6.

Sure does, but I don't think that's the issue here.

Mike

nathankw
06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
You're absolutely right!

Just tried your test and it does indeed chop off the last second (actually more like a second and a half by my estimate.)

I've got a class 6 card so it's nothing to do with that.

Interesting that I'd not noticed it in normal use. I guess it's always good practice to give a few extra seconds. Definitely good to know about though.

I thought it might be to do with the long gop compression, but I got the same effect in the mjpeg mode too.

J Davis
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
An FYI if you want to save a little money, I'm using sandisk class 4 Video HD no with no problems.

mikeydvx
06-22-2009, 02:11 PM
An FYI if you want to save a little money, I'm using sandisk class 4 Video HD no with no problems.

My SanDisk Ultra II are class 4 and I've never had any problem with them either, even when recording MJPEG. I knew this second-early cutoff was not a card speed issue because it does it in every available video recording mode, even the lowest modes on both AVCHD and MJPEG which write much, much slower than class 4 speeds.

As Nathan said, it's not really a problem. Just something to be aware of. I didn't notice it either until I was recording my daughter saying a pre-written speach. I knew where it was going to end so I just stopped the recording after her last word and I ended up missing the last word and a half of her speach. So word to the wise: stop recording a little late if you're splicing it tight at the end!

Mike

Mike@AF
06-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Very good to know, although it's something I always do anyways when I'm operating camera. I guess I'll give it a couple seconds more than usual though.

woodyu388
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
This occurs on some other Panny cam's as well... my FX500 (720 mode) always cuts off a second or two of video at the end of a clip.

drk3p
06-25-2009, 12:22 AM
I think the problem isnt that big, just record a few extra seconds

Osslund
06-25-2009, 12:58 AM
I had the same on other Panasonic consumer cameras so this seams to be a general issue. I solved it by waiting another second before stopping.