PDA

View Full Version : New GH1 firmware... June 22nd.

Hunter Hampton
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
FIRMWARE LINK:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09062201panagh1g1hd14mn140mmupdate.asp

I just found this Press release on DPReview:

Press Release (highlights by me):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panasonic updates firmware for DMC-GH1,G1
and LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm / F4.0-5.8 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-VS014140)

June 22, 2009: A new firmware is released for Panasonic LUMIX G Micro System cameras and a lens. The firmware Version 1.1 for DMC-GH1 allows faster burst shooting and improves control of shutter speed and stability of AF in movie recording. It also enhances performance and compatibility of the camera in other points.

The firmware Version 1.3 for DMC-G1 improves the compatibility of Micro Four Thirds lens. The firmware Version 1.1 for LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm / F4.0-5.8 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-VS014140) improves O.I.S. in movie recording mode and compatibility of Micro Four Thirds camera.

Panasonic invites all users of DMC-GH1, G1 and LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm / F4.0-5.8 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S.(H-VS014140) to apply the updated firmware.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this all mean? Will the videos look better? I guess we will have to wait and see!

PappasArts
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Is this crazy; the 5D first hack get released in the past few hours and then Panasonic releases one for the GH1 today as well.

WTF, is this the Matrix... Next GE will release a 6K 24fps camera that also brews great Turkish coffee....

PappasArts
06-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I just found this Press release on DPReview:

Press Release (highlights by me):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panasonic updates firmware for DMC-GH1,G1
and LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm / F4.0-5.8 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-VS014140)

June 22, 2009: A new firmware is released for Panasonic LUMIX G Micro System cameras and a lens. The firmware Version 1.1 for DMC-GH1 allows faster burst shooting and improves control of shutter speed and stability of AF in movie recording. It also enhances performance and compatibility of the camera in other points.

The firmware Version 1.3 for DMC-G1 improves the compatibility of Micro Four Thirds lens. The firmware Version 1.1 for LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm / F4.0-5.8 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-VS014140) improves O.I.S. in movie recording mode and compatibility of Micro Four Thirds camera.

Panasonic invites all users of DMC-GH1, G1 and LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm / F4.0-5.8 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S.(H-VS014140) to apply the updated firmware.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this all mean? Will the videos look better? I guess we will have to wait and see!

Is it possible the Bit rate or related issues have been adjusted?

chaos
06-21-2009, 11:51 PM
the times are changin!

Jackson Miller
06-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Is this crazy; the 5D first hack get released in the past few hours and then Panasonic releases one for the GH1 today as well.

WTF, is this the Matrix... Next GE will release a 6K 24fps camera that also brews great Turkish coffee....

Wait, what was released for the 5d in the last few hours? Did I misunderstand you?

Eximious
06-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Wait, what was released for the 5d in the last few hours? Did I misunderstand you?

I believe the new 5D "fully manual" firmware was hacked to allow for live audio monitoring, zebras, and locking audio gain. That new, modded firmware was released quite recently in a beta version.

Hope to hear some feedback about the new GH1 firmware later today. I'm really pleased to see that Panny has done something so soon after the American release. I really want this camera to succeed, so hopefully this is a harbinger of good things to come.

Mike@AF
06-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Someone hacked the camera and released their own firmware.

PappasArts
06-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Someone hacked the camera and released their own firmware.

I know it's crazy..... Big Bird did it! ;-O

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=175137

Cassius
06-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Was there a problem with shutter speed control before?

John Caballero
06-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Was there a problem with shutter speed control before?

"Mud" maybe?

Rolly
06-22-2009, 03:20 AM
I know there is a problem with fast lateral movement in 720p60, look like frame are skipping... hope it will fix that.

John Caballero
06-22-2009, 03:45 AM
I hope they do like Red and keep fixing all the problems. The good thing is that it looks that a lot can be done with software firmware upgrades.

Martti Ekstrand
06-22-2009, 03:58 AM
I know there is a problem with fast lateral movement in 720p60, look like frame are skipping... hope it will fix that.

That might not be the camera actually

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=174930

sdhurley
06-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Probably be on firmware version 1.5 by the time I finally get my camera (yeah, I'm a little bitter :cheesy:)

seriously though, who wrote this great line, "It also enhances performance and compatibility of the camera in other points."

????

andrzejkra
06-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Looks like Ill be refreshing this page all day to see if they improved the mud issue. Better bitrate, adding b-frames, or even just making the mud look more like natural blur - if they didnt tackle this issue then it says a lot. I still plan on getting the camera next week regardless, I have just been banking on the hope that they will improve this aspect of the camera.

Soultrape
06-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Looks like Ill be refreshing this page all day to see if they improved the mud issue. Better bitrate, adding b-frames, or even just making the mud look more like natural blur - if they didnt tackle this issue then it says a lot. I still plan on getting the camera next week regardless, I have just been banking on the hope that they will improve this aspect of the camera.

I decided to skip the GH1 till it (or a diff camera) support manual audio controls, audio monitoring and a Decent codec implementation. Passing my time with a Canon 450d and my HF100 :-)

John Caballero
06-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Good for you.

andrzejkra
06-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Sound is not an issue since everything I do is 2 system. Enjoy your palmcorder.

Soultrape
06-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Good for you.

Just sharing dude :-) Trying to make a point that while the GH1 is brilliantly cool, some issues, for some people, are still annoying as heck - and would love to see them fixed in the firmware

<3

Rolly
06-22-2009, 05:43 AM
just check at DPreview and I found this ugly green text...

"Panasonic has released firmware updates for its Lumix DMC-GH1 and DMC-G1 Micro four thirds cameras and the Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4.0-5.8 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. lens. The updates improve compatibility with recently launched lenses and bodies from Olympus along with minor corrections and original battery confirmation. The latest updates take the GH1 and the 14-140mm HD lens to Firmware v1.1, and the G1 to v1.3. Panasonic has informed us that there will be a delay with the new firmware and it will be available soon."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09062201panagh1g1hd14mn140mmupdate.asp

andrzejkra
06-22-2009, 05:46 AM
I knew something like this was just too good for a Monday morning.

mikeydvx
06-22-2009, 07:01 AM
I knew something like this was just too good for a Monday morning.

Jeez, was all drooling in my keyboard and everything until I read that last page. :undecided With this and the shipping snafu's, almost seems like Panasonic is trying to create hype.

Mike

Isaac_Brody
06-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Well it's good to know that there will be firmware updates for the GH1. Hopefully they read the petition and are listening. :)

DonalDuc
06-22-2009, 07:46 AM
has informed us that there will be a delay with the new firmware and it will be available soon."

They must add the subroutine "fight the bad, bad 3rd party!" :cheesy:

mikeydvx
06-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Maybe they're adding code to detect and reject non-Panasonic SD cards.

<hiding>

;)

Mike

J Davis
06-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Would love to see that audio auto gain turned off !

Ben_B
06-22-2009, 08:24 AM
God that would be just like them Mike.

Here's hoping the burst shooting gets up to (it won't) 12. Undercranking fast-mo shots or choppy normal speed shots at picture resolution? Yes please!

Ben_B
06-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Well it's good to know that there will be firmware updates for the GH1. Hopefully they read the petition and are listening. :)

Yeah other than ones that ban non-panny batteries "for your safety." What a crock...I suppose it's better than a firmware update that makes your non-panny batteries explode in camera and uploads a message voiding your warranty.

John Caballero
06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Everything in life changes... or something to that effect.

Park Edwards
06-22-2009, 11:51 AM
someone who has a jap model load this and see if you get english menus

mikeydvx
06-22-2009, 12:01 PM
someone who has a jap model load this and see if you get english menus

Nothing to load yet. Still not available.

Mike

Isaac_Brody
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Please refer to it as the "Japanese" model. We have international visitors here and don't want to offend anyone.

Eximious
06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Well, we can always hope that the delay signals even more improvements. I'm hoping, but not expecting.

Time will tell. It always does.

Ozpeter
06-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Despite the eagerness for updates, I guess it's better that they don't rush out something perhaps buggy - I recall Sony releasing a PS3 upgrade that 'bricked' a number of PS3's, thereby requiring them to go back to service centres to enable them to be restored to working order. That upgrade had to be withdrawn immediately too - slightly too late, though... There might be a temptation at the moment, with the various manufacturers trying to leapfrog each other with features and performance, to release faster than they should.

tonydvcoste
06-23-2009, 12:43 AM
ha, yeah exactly i just found out delivery of my camera was attempted yesterday when i was at work, and is now waiting for me at the post office for pickup, i didn't shoot squat with it yet, there's no way i'm going to make it a guinea pig! and i mean no offense to any italians :S

but this is very exciting news, my lucky number has always been 22, i shit you not.

PhilD
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I hope it will resolve the steaks at high ISO issue, currently the biggest problem with the GH1.

Mud is not a problem - http://www.vimeo.com/5298926

SonicStates
06-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Please refer to it as the "Japanese" model. We have international visitors here and don't want to offend anyone.

Yeah, my wife had a bit of a chuckle about that (she is Japanese) but I can see a possibility of some people taking it to heart.

In any case I talked to a staff member at Panasonic Japan and she assured me that there would be no English menus, now OR in the future...Maybe she lies. Interested in checking the firmware and I'm with Issac on getting a little excited at the chance of more firmware updates (thanks for the petition and effort by the way).

Cheers,

ryansheffer
06-23-2009, 11:25 PM
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html

Firmware is up! Please test away!

ryansheffer
06-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Hopefully there is more than they claim.

Shutter speed below 1/30 is interesting. But I fear this is the reason for the update:

"[ Warning ]
After this firmware update your Panasonic Digital Camera cannot be operated by 3rd party batteries (non genuine Panasonic batteries)."

Isaac_Brody
06-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Hopefully there is more than they claim.

Shutter speed below 1/30 is interesting. But I fear this is the reason for the update:

"[ Warning ]
After this firmware update your Panasonic Digital Camera cannot be operated by 3rd party batteries (non genuine Panasonic batteries)."

Well...now that there's a firmware available what's to stop someone from hacking it...

:beer:

ryansheffer
06-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Yea. Really seems like the battery was the number one reason for the update. Can't wait for tests or hacking though.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/info/dsc_battery.html

paulgandersman
06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
is this firmware safe to put on a US GH1? (as I see its on the japanese site) and has anyone seen any new/improved features?

John Caballero
06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
is this firmware safe to put on a US GH1?

After the firmware I would be worried about turning the camera on and having it explode in my face after I put cheapo batteries to save a few bucks. Otherwise I say it should be safe to upgrade.

paulgandersman
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
i think im gonna wait for the time being, want to see if there's any other "hidden features" than the listed faster burst speed and slower shutter. i don't want to kill my ability to use 3rd party batteries unless it drastically improves the cam

andrzejkra
06-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Maybe we can set the framerate to 12 fps and use it as a webcam! I bet they added this to help youtube users look authentic.

PhilD
06-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Copy/pasted:

Burst speed has become faster.
Only when the [BURST RATE] in the [REC] mode menu is set to [H], Burst speed was increased from 3 pictures/second to 3.5 pictures/second.
Shutter speed slower than 1/30 sec. (up to 1/2 sec.) has now become available in the Creative Motion Picture mode [ http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/images/icon_01.gif ].
Only when the [EXPOSURE MODE] in the [MOTION PICTURE] mode menu is set to [M], and the focus mode dial is set to [MF].
Please note that the shutter speed slower than 1/30 sec. can not be set, when the [REC MODE] in the [MOTION PICTURE] mode menu is set to [AVCHD]([ http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/images/icon_02.gif ]), and [REC QUALITY] is set to [FHD]([ http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/images/icon_03.gif ]).
< A brief leaflet for the specification update. > (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/ftp/GH1_VersionUP1.1_web_ENG.pdf)
Improved the stability of AF(Auto Focus) in Motion Picture recording.
Improved the stability of [AFC] operation in Focus mode.
Improved the performance of AWB (Auto White Balance).
Improved the S/N figure for the pictures taken with slow shutter speed.
Fixed the instability of operation when the lens is retracted into its barrel, using Olympus Imaging Corporation's M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 lens.
Fixed the instability of operation, using Olympus Imaging Corporation's M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm f2.8 lens.
Improved the battery identification to assure the safety standards Panasonic uses for our customer's safety.
[ Warning ]
After this firmware update your Panasonic Digital Camera cannot be operated by 3rd party batteries (non genuine Panasonic batteries).
< Important Notice for non genuine Panasonic or 3rd party battery packs(Recommendation for Use of Genuine Panasonic Battery Pack) > (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/info/dsc_battery.html)

Lens 14-140:

Improved the operation of O.I.S. in Motion Picture recording.
Fixed the instability of operation with Olympus Imaging Corporation's E-P1 camera body.

R-ik
06-24-2009, 05:44 AM
PAL GH1: just upload firmware on body and lens. everything OK.
I will do some test this afternoon.

mikeydvx
06-24-2009, 07:41 AM
I just updated my U.S. model. Everything went fine. I don't notice any difference in video mud: looks the same to me and I still find 1080 (FHD) completely unusable for any type of panning. I'll stick with 720p (SH) until/if Panasonic fixes the 1080 mode.

I do notice a difference with image stabilization in video mode. It seems to be a little less jumpy. So far, that's all I've noticed.

Mike

sunburst
06-24-2009, 07:54 AM
So far, that's all I've noticed.

Mike

bummer.

QTI
06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Just updated. Turned on the camera with my third party battery in it. The screen shows THIS BATTERY CANNOT BE USED and camera turns itself off. This is so not cool.

image stabilization seems to be better as mike mentioned above though.

commanderspike
06-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Well well well.

I am starting to get a little naffed off with Panasonic, to say the least.

The GH1 remains an incredibly exciting, advanced, quality, good value product but their subsequent handling of the 'mud' issue and firmware update is awful.

It is a great let down that the update does not fix the obvious image quality issues, which I expect are so damaging sales as much as some of the great footage increases sales.

I feel Panasonic owe us all a debt, for being early adopters and for shooting great footage that encourages people to buy the GH1. I for one would not have bought the camera had it not for seeing what it's capable off in good hands, Philip Bloom in particular.

The lack of a proper fix or even an acknowledgement of customer requests let alone requests from seasoned pros, the deathening silence, the rediculous stance over third party batteries and the locked down Japanese language - reflects very badly on Panasonic.

I know they have a business to run here, but in my opinion if they listened to their customer, lifted the silly restrictions on batteries & langauges, they'd have sold a great deal more cameras.

I also think the business ethics of blocking out third party accessory manufacturers is a little shady - anti competative, and the Japanese menu issue discrimantory.

What if you live in Japan, only speak English, and want to buy a GH1. Panasonic is discriminating against genuine customers in a lame attempt to stop black market trade.

The mark up on the UK & USA models, indeed any model outside their domestic region is ridiculous anyway. I know marketing is more expensive and Panasonic's staff wages have to be higher in places like the UK (London), and there are issues with currencies but for heavens sake - last year the Yen was 200 against 1, making the GH1 cost roughly 550 at 2008 prices, yet last year camera prices in the UK were still too high and Panasonic were making a bomb from us.

I'm officially hacked off with it all. :undecided

Isaac_Brody
06-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Email them directly.

plasmasmp
06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Just updated. Turned on the camera with my third party battery in it. The screen shows THIS BATTERY CANNOT BE USED and camera turns itself off. This is so not cool.
CRAZY!
http://img44.imageshack.us/i/lolwute.jpg
http://img44.imageshack.us/i/lolwute.jpg/

commanderspike
06-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Email sent. I really dislike their anti-competative stance and the language issue.

Anyway, moving onto some fun stuff... tonight I'm going to be comparing a brand new GH1 with my 3 week old one and see one has greater banding than the other...see if it needs breaking in a bit like a pair of new shoes :cheesy:

Oh and comparison between v1.1 firmware and the original firmware should be interesting - the MJPEG slow shutter speeds are kinda appealing - 1/24 instead of 1/30 should give a welcome low light boost and I can't understand (other than AF issues) why it wasn't there all along. Maybe the GH1 needs to bin frames in AVCHD mode.

No AF in slow shutter modes - I know it will be sluggish but couldn't they just have kept it as an option?

EDIT: This is somewhat lazy of me to have to ask before trying it myself but when it comes to updating the Japanese model with this latest Firmware, through the link on DPReview.com, has anyone actually done this on a Japanese model without problems?? UK Panasonic Firmware download on a Japanese camera - is that a risk??

mikeydvx
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Just for another viewpoint...

BATTERY: I don't know what they're thinking with the third party battery thing: can't say I agree with that unless it really does pose some sort of fire hazard. Doesn't affect me anyway so I can't say I'm really peeved.

MUD: As far as I'm concerned, the GH1 is a 720p camera when it comes to video. I find 720p, both AVCHD and MPEG, to be exceptional so I have no problem using the camera in that mode. The 1080 mode is completely unusable for me, so I wait and hope that Panasonic can fix the 1080 video mode.

BANDING: I do see banding in a handful of shots, mostly underexposed shots that have been "pushed" or long exposure shots. Hopefully Panasonic can improve or eliminate the banding but to be honest, every dSLR I've ever owned has had that problem to some degree. I don't see it as a showstopper.

FIRMWARE: I'm very pleased with Panasonic on this latest firmware. It took Canon months to release a firmware for the 5D2 that would simply allow aperture control on video. Panasonic has released some nice goodies in this firmware before the camera really has firm feet in sales/distribution! I say way to go Panasonic!

I think the 1080 AVCHD mud issue is going to be difficult to fix. In fact, I'm hoping they CAN fix it at all! I wouldn't expect firmware for that to come out so soon. As good as 720p looks, even that isn't a show stopper for me. I've owned dozens of dSLR's in my business, the last two being a Nikon D300 and Canon 5D Mark II and I can honestly say, the GH1 blows every other dSLR away for usability and consistency. Does the GH1 have the lowest noise? No. Does it have the most pixels? No. Does it have shallow DOF like the 5D2? No. But I get consistently better photos with the GH1 than I ever have with any other dSLR. When I'm doing macros and I focus on the stem of a flower, I know that's what will be in focus in the final photo. With other dSLR's, you never know. Did the lens really focus perfectly? You don't know. The camera doesn't even know. It takes a wild-arse-guess at where focus should be, tells the lens to go there, and hopes for the best. The GH1 can actually confirm focus and you get perfect focus every time. With any other dSLR, people will tell you "just send the camera and lens back to the manufacturer to have them "calibrated". Yeah. And while I'm at it let me put a manual choke on my car! Great solution! Never have to worry about body/lens match with the G1 or GH1. And with the main sensor able to see the world, you get better metering, better WB, and a lot of other stuff.

So no complaints here. Just hopes for better 1080 video.

Mike

andrzejkra
06-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I think we should keep in mind that a firmare version can't be cooked up quickly. Knowing how software development works, this firmware 1.1 would've been entering QA around the time we all started pushing for a fix to the mud. You can't introduce new features or changes at that point in development, especially for a mass market consumer product that needs very extensive testing.

I would say that this firmware relese was probably planned well before the camera itself was released. Any customer issues that have been found since the release of the camera will probably be dealt with in subsequent updates, if at all.

Chances are they are looking into the mud issue but don't want to say anything unless they can implement a fix that is market-ready, otherwise they will get worse backlash when the fix never comes than they would if they never said anythign on the topic.

We will have a better idea of how they are treating this issue in the next update. Until then we shouldn't get too frustrated with Panny. Remember, most markets don't even have the camera widely available yet.

mikeydvx
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
My guess is that they knew about the mud issue long before the camera was released. It's so obvious and easy to find that I can't imagine they overlooked it. Further, to be honest, I give it only a 50/50 chance that it is even possible to fix with the existing model/hardware. They likely let it go out like that because there wasn't much they could do about it. The current video processing hardware simply might not be up to the task of 1080p. Now let's hope I'm wrong!

Mike

Park Edwards
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
no japanese models yet eh?

Ben_B
06-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Mike, seems like 720/60p is actually as taxing on hardware as the 1080/60i, and more taxing than 1080/24p. The HVX book talks about why. It's all about temporal resolution. At 1080/60i you're shooting sixty, half frames, of 1080i per second. 1080 is roughly twice the resolution of 720, slightly more, but at 60i vs 60p you're shooting twice as much data per second, temporally, at 60p, which means at 720/60p and 1080/60i you're basically doing the same thing, and I think the hardware would probably be taxed about as much for either...in fact thats why some crappier cards are choking on 720/60p, the higher temporal resolution, which is a factor in how fast you write it.

I might have been wrong on some specifics in there, but I am pretty sure the gist of it is correct.

So in the end what does this mean? Well it means if we say the camera is maxed out at 1080/60i at 17megabit per second, and if we assume that video hardware handles all everything the same way, meaning save some speed there, get some speed somewhere else, which it probably doesn't, here's what I predict:

The solution to adding a higher bitrate to 1080, assuming the hardware is maxed-out, is to add a mode for 1080/24p...not 1080i/24p which it currently has, which is 24p in a 60i wrapper (or the other way around, probably...60i wrapped in 24p). At 1080/60i the camera is shooting...well...1920x1080x30 pixels per second=that's 62,208,000 per second. At 1080/24p it's shooting 49,766,400 pixels per second, which is 20% less...which theoretically means you could shoot at a 20% higher bitrate, or, 20.4 megabit.

This is assuming the hardware works that way, assuming it is maxed out, and assuming I am correct, and I think all of those have about a 50/50 chance of being true.

Look in the end I'd say the hardware probably isn't maxed out, I'd say it's a temporary measure to protect sales of their high end video equipment...I bet when the HMC-150 gets a higher bitrate, or the HMC-150a comes out, as I'd expect they already did push a video camera to the limits of its hardware, we'll get our firmware update.

In the meantime I'll be shooting a mix of the two formats, one for long, low movement shots, and closeups, and one for anything else.

mikeydvx
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Mike, seems like 720/60p is actually as taxing on hardware as the 1080/60i, and more taxing than 1080/24p. The HVX book talks about why. It's all about temporal resolution. At 1080/60i you're shooting sixty, half frames, of 1080i per second. 1080 is roughly twice the resolution of 720, slightly more, but at 60i vs 60p you're shooting twice as much data per second, temporally, at 60p, which means at 720/60p and 1080/60i you're basically doing the same thing, and I think the hardware would probably be taxed about as much for either...in fact thats why some crappier cards are choking on 720/60p, the higher temporal resolution, which is a factor in how fast you write it.

From a purely bit rate standpoint, I'd agree. Unfortunately that's not all that is going on in the pipeline. The fact that 1080 video uses more pixels on the sensor means that other operations may be involved in the mud (other than just compression). They claim sensor output is 24p. Why didn't they just give us 24p in the AVCHD file then? There must be some limitation. Is the hardware up to the task of taking 24p video, interlacing it, and creating a 24p --> 60i pulldown fast enough? There could be other factors involved.

Mike

paulgandersman
06-24-2009, 02:11 PM
so im worried about updating the firmware as it is ONLY listed on this japanese site. is there a reason its not yet on the american panasonic site?

EdMcLeodJones
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Just updated both body and lens firmwares on my PAL model (UK), and seemed to go fine.

Shot a quick test video in each mode just to see if there was any change to the AVCHD data rate, but after running it through a demo of Elecard StreamEye it looks like there's no change. Oh well, at least Panasonic seem to be willing to release firmware for it fairly swiftly...

Out of interest, what is the 1080 GOP settings for the US model? I was surprised to see that the PAL model is an I frame every 13 frames. The 720 mode is an I frame every 25 frames

Anyway, here's the results from Elecard:

1080x25p (before firmware update)

video stream type : AVC
resolution : 1920x1080
profile:level : High:4.0
aspect ratio : 30x17(1:1)
chroma format : 4:2:0
interlaced : yes
frames count : 520
duration : 00:00:20.760
frame size max : 263 808
avg : 76 384
avg/max (I) : 120 700 / 263 808
avg/max (P) : 72 691 / 144 384
avg/max (B) : 0 / 0
min : 34 560

framerate declared : 25.000
real : 25.000

bitrate declared : 16 568 320

bit allocation max : 15 988 400
avg : 15 276 800
min : 13 753 800

1080x25p (after firmware update)

resolution : 1920x1080
aspect ratio : 30x17(1:1)
interlaced : yes
frames count : 312
duration : 00:00:12.440
frame size max : 162 816
avg : 76 009
avg/max (I) : 87 552 / 162 816
avg/max (P) : 75 047 / 139 008
min : 37 056

framerate declared : 25.000
real : 25.000

bit allocation max : 15 925 800
avg : 15 201 800
min : 14 108 000

-------------------------------------------

720x50p (before firmware update)

resolution : 1280x720
aspect ratio : 16x9(1:1)
interlaced : no
frames count : 364
duration : 00:00:07.260
frame size max : 121 344
avg : 38 262
avg/max (I) : 115 693 / 121 344
avg/max (P) : 35 165 / 44 540
min : 23 616

framerate declared : 50.000
real : 50.000

bit allocation max : 15 857 200
avg : 15 304 800
min : 14 858 800

720x50p (after firmware update)

resolution : 1280x720
aspect ratio : 16x9(1:1)
interlaced : no
frames count : 650
duration : 00:00:12.980
frame size max : 96 960
avg : 37 883
avg/max (I) : 71 754 / 96 960
avg/max (P) : 36 528 / 56 828
min : 19 392

framerate declared : 50.000
real : 50.000

bit allocation max : 15 657 200
avg : 15 153 200
min : 14 242 400

PappasArts
06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
ble for me, so I wait and hope that Panasonic can fix the 1080 video mode.

BANDING: I do see banding in a handful of shots, mostly underexposed shots that have been "pushed" or long exposure shots. Hopefully Panasonic can improve or eliminate the banding but to be honest, every dSLR I've ever owned has had that problem to some degree. I don't see it as a showstopper.

I remember the G1 had banding issues as well.

It could be a RFI issues that's why the fluctuations as well.

Or simply the Cmos needs to be broken in with heat up and cool down over a short time; kinda like tempering. Maybe not, that sounds wacky. Ignore that!

I did however find this blurb from DPreview.com:

<<<<DPreview found in the L1 (?) review that two shots taken in succession of the same subject were different in that one of them had banding. They identified the source to be the mobile phone the reviewer carried.>>
<<<<< http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=31808595 >>>>>

mikeydvx
06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
so im worried about updating the firmware as it is ONLY listed on this japanese site. is there a reason its not yet on the american panasonic site?

Doesn't seem to affect anyone. Don't take this to the bank but I don't think firmware updates normally affect language... just the underlying code.

Mike

Jean Dantes
06-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know if this firmware update added 720/25P shooting mode to the PAL model??

nleguen
06-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Does anyone know if this firmware update added 720/25P shooting mode to the PAL model??
No, same choices than before (FHD, SH, H, L, HD, VGA, QVGA).

Barry_Green
06-25-2009, 07:10 AM
You could always shoot 720/50p @ 1/50th and throw away every other frame...

Jean Dantes
06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
You could always shoot 720/50p @ 1/50th and throw away every other frame...

Would that truly look like 25P though? And if I were to use this method, would I be restricted to 1/50th shutter speed only?

Barry_Green
06-25-2009, 07:32 AM
It would look exactly like 25p. And no, you're not limited to 1/50, you could use faster shutter speeds, or slower (down to 1/25). No slower than 1/25 though.

For a filmlike look, 720/50p @ 1/50 and throwing away every other frame will look absolutely identical to 720/25p @ 1/50.

nathankw
06-25-2009, 07:42 AM
For a filmlike look, 720/50p @ 1/50 and throwing away every other frame will look absolutely identical to 720/25p @ 1/50.

Presumably the only downside of this is that you're wasting some of your bandwidth on information that gets thrown away. If you could shoot true 25p at the same bitrate it should look better shouldn't it?

Personally I like the option of being able to do slowmo so shooting 50p is great.

seb33
06-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Hello
What is the best speed for shooting at 720P with GH1 ? 1/50 or 1/100 ?
Thank you

EdMcLeodJones
06-26-2009, 04:09 AM
What is the best speed for shooting at 720P with GH1 ? 1/50 or 1/100 ?

Check out this thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=174619

commanderspike
06-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Can someone shed any light on how to enable the slower shutter speeds in movie mode post firmware update, because I ain't a clue!!

I thought, okay let's stick the camera in creative movie mode, put it in S mode, change to MJPEG format, change shutter to below 1/30...and...oh.

Still the same as before, won't go below.

Am I missing something here? By the way, I have the Japanese model.

menace3000
06-26-2009, 06:43 AM
works only when exposure mode is set to M, focus set to MF.
does not work when Rec Mode is set to AVCHD and Quality FHD.
So it works only with SH and MJpeg.

akaloith
06-26-2009, 11:31 AM
can you please post a shutter 1/2 video sample?
1/4
1/8 1/15 etc?

Gary Senda
06-27-2009, 01:07 AM
I should like to update my GH1's firmware.
Is the firmware for the PAL (50 Hz) model the same that for the 60 Hz or are they different?
I need a secure link to download the 50 Hz firmware and I don't find
Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Gary

Thierry
06-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Here's a pretty cool clip at 1/2 shutter speed (http://www.vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/5339442).

commanderspike
06-27-2009, 07:21 AM
The 1/2 shutter speed is manna from heaven where night timelapse footage is concerned. Low light performance at that speed should be incredible.

Speed it all up in Final Cut Pro and there you have it.

timbook2
06-28-2009, 01:12 AM
works only when exposure mode is set to M, focus set to MF.
does not work when Rec Mode is set to AVCHD and Quality FHD.
So it works only with SH and MJpeg.

ohh another hidden "feature" so to sum it up:

OIS improved ?
slow shutter only in low res mode?
batteries stop working?

why should I do this firmware update?
and the biggest question for me: can I roll back to the previous FW ?????

where is that FW hacker from Canon :Drogar-Love(DBG):

JB_frenchy
06-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Can i use the gh1 as a sd card reader to copy the new firmware or do i need a separate sd card reader? i'm on a mac, and i don't have a sd card reader.
it's not clear on the panasonic website

dsankey
06-30-2009, 07:48 AM
You can do it without a card reader. Just remember to delete the update files after you have run them or you'll get a prompt to update every time you turn on the camera.

Barry_Green
06-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Yes the GH1 can be used as an external SDHC card reader.

JB_frenchy
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
thank you but now i tried it,
but the sdhc card (which has been formatted with the gh1) appears on my mac as a "No Name" volume which is "read only" when i hit command-i
so i cannot copy anything on it,
am i stupid or what?

JB_frenchy
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
help anyone?

Ben_B
06-30-2009, 10:07 AM
When you hit command-I change the ownership of it to your account, by entering admin password, and change to read/write. Not sure if that will solve your problem or not.

JB_frenchy
06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
No, it doesn't work, i cannot change anything on the info window...
Do someone have a mac and manage to copy files on a sdhc card formatted with the gh1 directly using the gh1 as the card reader?

Ben_B
06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Did you hit the little lock before you tried to change?

JB_frenchy
06-30-2009, 10:27 AM
i know what you mean with the lock, it appears on any other folders or volume on my mac, but not on my sdhc card,
and i just checked on a usb flash drive formatted in fat 32 too, and there s no lock either but it says read and write...

Ben_B
06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Try reformatting the card to fat 32 using disk utility. Take any data off it first. The Gh1 should still read it just fine me thinks.

JB_frenchy
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
i could do that, but on the firmware update page, it is said that the sd card should be formatted by the gh1... don't know what to do...

JB_frenchy
07-01-2009, 01:56 AM
nobody with a mac has done the firmware update?

timbook2
07-01-2009, 02:31 AM
no I skipped the FW update until I resolve my battery problem cause I bought some copies:(

I advise you to spend the 5-9 bucks for a SDHC card reader! Its really not expensive and they are sold all over the place....I have one which is like a USB memory stick only that the memory is a SDHC card. Very comfy and works perfectly with GH! formatted cards on all my macs.

JB_frenchy
07-01-2009, 04:26 AM
thank you, but are you sure i'll be able to copy files on the card with a card reader?
i tried on windows xp (bootcamp on my mac) and i cannot copy either... (always with the gh1 as a card reader)

DonalDuc
07-01-2009, 04:56 AM
har, har, har, har ... I don't need an update ...

http://666kb.com/i/ba9s99nu4hzfqf62l.jpg

AndyW69
07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
have you done the firmware update?

commanderspike
07-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Key question that is :)

The first cheap third party batteries that work around the firmware update will sell very well...

SIDO... is it true??

sirk
07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
thank you, but are you sure i'll be able to copy files on the card with a card reader?
i tried on windows xp (bootcamp on my mac) and i cannot copy either... (always with the gh1 as a card reader)

man I have the exact same problem.
I cannot mount that little biest in read/write mode.
I will have to test that on another computer, but neither Mac OS X nor Windows will mount it as r/w.

hope anyone can help me?
Also mounted that card with my other DSLR and I could access it.
Futhermore I couldn't get read/wirte by mounting the exact same card with my Canon Printer.

It is so f**king strange - I hate it. but maybe that's worth an own thread.

Hubert
07-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Will the English 1.1 firmware update apply to the Japanese hardware and possibly give English menus?

Or is there only one firmware update package and it chooses the right language and NTSC/PAL based on hardware ID?

A bit offtopic - will 1080p video played directly via mini HDMI to my Pioneer Kuro KRP-500AW look good without choppiness? Or would 720p be better due to these 'mud' issues?

John Caballero
07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
What "mud" issues?

Hubert
07-02-2009, 08:28 PM
What "mud" issues?

The ones referred to earlier in this thread. Something about 1080p video recording not being quite right. I'm not totally familiar with the issue, perhaps an expert could elaborate.

Drcoffee
07-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Is motion any smoother with the firmware upgrade?

Does that Sido battery work with the firmware upgrade?

c.cook88
07-19-2009, 06:26 AM
dont know if anyone else using a mac (or pc) is having this problem, but i can place the .bin file of the firmware update onto the sdhc card using the gh1 as a card reader, but when I turn the camera off and then on and hit play, NOTHING happens expect for the screen saying "no valid viewable pics"

ummmmm why am i the only one that cant install this stupid firmware?

Nighthawk
07-19-2009, 11:58 AM
dont know if anyone else using a mac (or pc) is having this problem, but i can place the .bin file of the firmware update onto the sdhc card using the gh1 as a card reader, but when I turn the camera off and then on and hit play, NOTHING happens expect for the screen saying "no valid viewable pics"

ummmmm why am i the only one that cant install this stupid firmware?

Don't know if this will help but I had the same problem so I reformatted the card again and only put the camera bin file update and the camera read it fine. I then reformatted the card and did the same with the lens update and it worked as well. I still have no idea why it wouldn't work with both bin files on the card at the same time or if it was something else altogether but give it a try.

AMCinOKC
07-30-2009, 08:13 AM
FYI, the latest shipment of GH1's are going out already updated to this firmware.

kaplanfx
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
There are GH1's going out in the US right now?

sammysammy
09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Any chance of any new firmware, anyone heard anything new?

matt9b
10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
how do u update the firmware? they have provided a .bin file with no instructions on what to do with it. The manual has nothing in it about firmware updates. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks! :)

Chris Light
11-16-2009, 11:08 PM
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vSupportDownloadDetail?storeId=15001&idval=UCM_STG_CNT_032444

this is on Panny's site. at the bottom, click "download instructions" before you click "download". the "instructions" are a pdf and tell you exactly how to do the upgrade.

in this case "download instructions" is a bit misleading, as i thought they were instructions sor "saving" said download...could be easily overlooked. good luck.

adys
11-20-2009, 12:49 AM
FYI, the latest shipment of GH1's are going out already updated to this firmware.

Just got mine from B&H at the 19.11.2009

Still with version 1.1

Chris Light
11-20-2009, 12:52 AM
got mine a week ago, same thing, 1.1...just click the link i posted above and update...doesn't take long

Manuelrm
12-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Is there anyone who knows if is possible (any trick) to go back to the former firmware after updating with the last one (1.2) ?

tflak
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Don't think you can do that. Or maybe I should say you probably don't want to do that. Could cause big problems.

Camera Expert
12-11-2009, 10:43 PM
If that's because you want to use non Panasonic batteries, I don't think you should even bother. I mean, I think you have to have 1.2 in order to get the lens firmware updates that makes the focusing better. Having better auto focusing should be more important.

Manuelrm
12-12-2009, 01:28 AM
It's simple:I mounted the second version of 1.2 firmware but I'd like mount the first one 1.2 (without limitations of battery).
But I suppose will be impossible...sigh sigh...

Camera Expert
12-12-2009, 08:16 AM
But then, the numbers may not be the same, but the firmware is different. Theirs a good chance that it won't cooperate with the lens firmware updates. Still a good experiment although I wouldn't take the chance.

MadHMC150
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
So, retarded question... new cameras would come with the update?

JerryB
02-19-2010, 01:05 PM
They should come preloaded with the current update. If not you can just update from website.

AKED
02-20-2010, 01:26 AM
I have heard from a camera shop here in Germany, that Panasonic has licensed 3rd party Battery producers por produce cheaper batteries, that work with the firmware update.
According to that information, it is not to keep other battery producers out, but encouraging them to incorporate the safety features of the Panasonic batteries into their products, that were not implemented before.

tyampel
02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
It is possible to install an older version of FM on Panasonic cameras.

Correction. While this works on the ZS3 and LX3 it does NOT work with the GH1.
Tried to go back from 1.22 to 1.12 and did not work.

They are an exception in this. I played with different versions of FM on LX3 and ZS3.
On the ZS3 I installed (and keep) an older version for TZ7.
The FM version numbers have to be different, otherwise the software ignores it and does not do the update. So if you can get a 1.1 version it will work.

If you intend to do it just for the sake of a cheap battery, there are now third party batteries that work fine. I bought mine from BestBatt.com.

Good luck.

ac17
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Have you guys seen the unofficial GH1 firmware improvements already offered here:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=206788

The list of improvements grows daily.

-Now i wish someone would do the same for the GF1!

NOTE: According to engaget, the official firmware update will be avail may 10th, but will NOT improve camera funtions (it improves lens fucntions only).
see here (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/panasonics-dmc-gf1-gh1-g1-firmware-updates-improve-autofocu/)