PDA

View Full Version : HMC 150 for Documentary in Challanging Conditions?

moor71
06-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I've just been brought on the shoot a 3 month long form documentary in difficult and challanging conditions in Haiti.

I have never worked with the HMC 150 or with any solid state camera, however I have shot with the all the DVX models in different conditions and and they have never caused me any problems.

I wondering if anybody has worked with the HMC150 in similar conditions?

If so how has the camera handled and what challenges has the SD card work flow if any caused you in the field. I'm a bit old school and worry about the durability the SD cards as well and how to successfully and securely back up and archive shot material in challenging conditions. The idea of carrying a lap-top and external drives in the field worries me...

Any input, tips, and resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BErnard

thomas_atl
07-30-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm using it for some work in South Africa and Uganda and loving it: no worries about drop-outs on tape, or carrying bulky tape stock that is susceptible to heat. The cards are so inexpensive, you shouldn't even worry about re-using them in the field, and having to offload onto laptop like many people do with P2 cards. When I'm done with a card, I lock it... stick it in the plastic carrying case and don't worry about. Later, at the hotel, I'll log and transfer into Final Cut Pro... but leave the original files on the card as a back-up.

Allen Ellis
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Thomas,

How many cards do you have? I'm doing a week-long documentary next month but I'm bringing 2x 500GB hard drives (mirrored), rather than spending a fortune on SDHC cards.