PDA

View Full Version : gh1 vs xh-a1 (to sell or not to sell)

tall_sided
06-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I currently own two xh-a1's and am currently considering selling them to buy 2x gh1's. I'm just having a hard time deciding if it's the right move. I know in about a year, I won't be able to give away the xh-a1's whereas now they still have some value.

I do a lot of event videography and the GH1's ability to shoot two hours per 16gb card is invaluable to me. I also do a lot of film / creative-oriented stuff on the side. However, I fear losing things like the manual audio controls and the nice smooth zoom control that the xh-a1's offer.

I'm also factoring in the savings I'd have with the GH1 vs the Xh-a1 in regards to tape stock. I do a lot of multicam shoots, which get pretty expensive when you're using 9 tapes per shoot. However, there is the issue of audio and right now I'm looking at getting the H4N to resolve this isssue.

I'm also curious as to how good the autofocus on the GH1 is compared to a video camera like the xh-a1. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

- Curtis

John Caballero
06-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I am keeping my HVX 200 even though I am buying the GH1. Until I get comfortable with the GH1 I feel I should keep the HVX. Mayb you should sell one of the xh-a1s and keep the other one around for a while.

Bill Grant
06-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Curtis,
I would say that it is a completely different tool. I have the 5D MkII and can tell from my experience that it is completely different from anything you are used to. The DOF alone is enough to give me a reason not to use it except for specialty shots. I can't imagine it ever taking the place of a real camera. I love what I've gotten out of the 5D, but it is not a primary tool for events, and I think you;ll see that when you start to shoot with the GH-1...
Bill

Isaac_Brody
06-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Might be better to sell one XH and get one GH. There are many things a dedicated camcorder will do much better than the GH1. The GH1's codec limitations could be rounded out with the XHA1. And then GH1 could handle your close-ups and slomo shots. I would say keep both.

Jim Klatt
06-20-2009, 12:14 PM
cutting the 2 together would be pretty akward. I say sell 1 Xh-a1 and get an HV-30 and GH1.

The HV30 could be used as B cam for 2 camera events, and as a deck instead of the xh-a1.

Duke M.
06-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I know in about a year, I won't be able to give away the xh-a1's whereas now they still have some value.

I have to disagree with you there. The XH-A1 was far ahead of it's time when introduced and it's staying power has been good. It's only dropped a bit in value with the introduction of the A1S.

Look at cameras like the GL1 and PD170. They haven't lost all their value.

I think the A1 will lose a little more value as the Scarlet and it's competitors come out, but a lot of people will decide embrace the easy use of HDV with full manual controls and presets for a long time. It works and it's easy.

I don't think you realize what a hassle a GH1 would be for event work.

tall_sided
06-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I suppose I'll hold onto the xh-a1's for now and wait until an affordable tapeless replacement comes out for them. Thanks everyone!

ryansheffer
06-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I sold my XH-A1 and am bought a 5d. I also have a GH1 that should have already got here on preorder.

One of these cameras with an image stabilized lens plus an H4N would be great for event videography. The GH1 with the kit lens will work wonders. And I for one would go two GH1s if syncing audio isn't a problem in your mind.

I, however, love the challenge of new equipment. I have never regretted selling my XH-A1 for a 5d. The image quality alone makes me more than willing to jump through a couple of hoops. I just shot a music video yesterday where the 5d footage is being cut with RED footage. You seriously can't tell its a different camera. I know the 5d is a different camera than the GH1, but in terms of image quality they blow away my old XH-A1

Ken7
06-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Curtis,
I would say that it is a completely different tool. I have the 5D MkII and can tell from my experience that it is completely different from anything you are used to. The DOF alone is enough to give me a reason not to use it except for specialty shots. I can't imagine it ever taking the place of a real camera. I love what I've gotten out of the 5D, but it is not a primary tool for events, and I think you;ll see that when you start to shoot with the GH-1...
Bill

My GH1 should arrive this week, but I agree with you 100%. I just can't see a camera like the GH1 being used for event work. It's just much more awkward to use for dedicated video...especially run & gun.

Vascilli
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I currently own two xh-a1's and am currently considering selling them to buy 2x gh1's. I'm just having a hard time deciding if it's the right move. I know in about a year, I won't be able to give away the xh-a1's whereas now they still have some value.

I do a lot of event videography and the GH1's ability to shoot two hours per 16gb card is invaluable to me. I also do a lot of film / creative-oriented stuff on the side. However, I fear losing things like the manual audio controls and the nice smooth zoom control that the xh-a1's offer.

I'm also factoring in the savings I'd have with the GH1 vs the Xh-a1 in regards to tape stock. I do a lot of multicam shoots, which get pretty expensive when you're using 9 tapes per shoot. However, there is the issue of audio and right now I'm looking at getting the H4N to resolve this isssue.

I'm also curious as to how good the autofocus on the GH1 is compared to a video camera like the xh-a1. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

- Curtis
Well actually.... :happy: You can give them to me.

The GH1 is a first generation VDSLR, I'd wait it out until at least the next hardware or major firmware revision to upgrade.

shaun1970
06-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I suppose I'll hold onto the xh-a1's for now and wait until an affordable tapeless replacement comes out for them. Thanks everyone!
Smartest thing anyone has said in amongst all this GH1 discussion. A GH1 will never be as good as an XHa1, thats like selling a Ferrari to go buy a Ford.

Martti Ekstrand
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Except that it takes sterile sharp from glass to horizon images, only does interlaced and has 75% less horizontal resolution. Otherwise it's nice, it really is. More like a boxy stable Volvo 760 where GH1 is a Alpha Romeo Spider if we gonna go the car analogy route.

Vascilli
06-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Except that it takes sterile sharp from glass to horizon images, only does interlaced and has 75% less horizontal resolution. Otherwise it's nice, it really is. More like a boxy stable Volvo 760 where GH1 is a Alpha Romeo Spider if we gonna go the car analogy route.
Except this time the 760 can't be a sleeper. :laugh:

Psynema
06-22-2009, 02:38 AM
If I were do I'd F'n DO IT!

They usually go for 22-2300 on ebay used, so you'd probably have to spend an extra 800 to get 2 GH1s (or just wait until bodies only appear on ebay and have one with a kit lens).

3 cameras are better than 2, and if Canon can fix the audio gain via firmware, then so could panasonic. Plus, as much as I love my XH A1's image, the GH1s at worst is on par, though a lot of the footage I've seen surpasses it so long as you have a good lens/light situation.

Psynema
06-22-2009, 02:41 AM
My GH1 should arrive this week, but I agree with you 100%. I just can't see a camera like the GH1 being used for event work. It's just much more awkward to use for dedicated video...especially run & gun.

Actually I'm in event videography as well and quite a few videographers are using the Mark iis (BEFORE THE FIRMWARE UPDATE) for FULL JOBS and never regretted it.

I cut a job using ONLY MARK ii's, about a half hour long corporate party and it was fine. PITA to synch external audio but then Plural Eyes was released...

Psynema
06-22-2009, 02:46 AM

I agree I like the idea of having 2gh1s instead of an XH A1, but man you're being harsh.

The interlacing is not really interlacing and I've zoomed into single frames and can't tell a thing. It's just an alternative algorithm to get a P frame, but I've never seen interlace artifacts on an A1 frame.

I'm sure the Lumix with the right hands/lens can surpass the image quality, but Canon by far had the best bang for the buck camera with the XH A1 - NO HDV camera has a better image to this day. The Sony z7 has a better zoom ring (i hate how slow the A1s ENG enforcing zoom ring is) and the Sony is better in low light, but the a1 was WAY sharper than that camera despite being half the price and has better color overall

Martti Ekstrand
06-22-2009, 05:19 AM
man you're being harsh.
Was just being harsh back to that Ferrari statement :)

The interlacing is not really interlacing and I've zoomed into single frames and can't tell a thing. It's just an alternative algorithm to get a P frame, but I've never seen interlace artifacts on an A1 frame.
My bad, the specifications page on Canon's own page for it don't mention this, hence my mistake about interlacing. I agree that from a technical standpoint it's a very good device with lots of pro features but I just don't like images from 1/3" CCD chips which is why I couldn't bring myself to part with money for any camcorder since VX1000. And which is why I love my GH1. But hey - that's just like my opinion right.

tall_sided
06-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I think I'm going to buy a GH1 for now and eventually sell the xh-a1's so I can buy a couple of tapeless 1/3" cameras.