PDA

View Full Version : Anyone figured out histograms yet?

J Davis
06-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Where is the histogram option?
Even when the dial is on CUST or MovieM there is no histogram in any menu

p64 says •set the [HISTOGRAM] in the [CUSTOM MENU] to [ON] p126
then on p126 it says nothing.
but on p125 it says something about iA mode and to go back to p30

must be getting tired (3.30am) as the manual is confusing me now

TrueIndigo
06-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah, the manual is a confusing; this is what I did ("arrows" refer to the four "joystick" buttons surrounding the Menu/set button):

Menu/set button.
Up/down arrows to choose Custom menu (Right arrow to choose it).
Up/down arrows to choose Histogram (Right arrow to choose it).
Up/down arrows to choose On (Menu/set button to set it).
Histogram appears in centre of display with an orange border; use Arrows to position it where you want.
Menu/set button to exit menu.
Menu/set button to return to normal display.
Histogram appears in the set position you chose (remains when you next power up the camera).
To clear histogram from display just choose Off (instead of On) in the process above.

One thing I don't understand is that sometimes the histogram (which usually displays white) turns yellow. First I thought it was some sort of exposure warning, but it can happen when the
histogram is not clipping. Can not see mention of this in the manual -- any ideas?

nathankw
06-20-2009, 03:14 AM
I was going to ask about the white / yellow thing. Would love to know what it means.

Also, any general tips on how to use it (I've not used one before). Is it just the obvious (make sure the bars aren't all bunched up at one end) or are them some tricks to getting the most info out of it?

J Davis
06-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Up/down arrows to choose Histogram (Right arrow to choose it).

I did not see the faint grey numbers in the screens' top right corner 2 3 4 5
In my tiredness I only moved amongst the choices on the first screen page !
Thanks !

White / Yellow
Now that I've got 'em showing I can see the yellow / white colors correspond to the -3...0...+3 meter below.
The histo is white when that meter is on 0 and the histo goes yellow when it moves into positives or negatives.

I would guess (manual not in front of me) that white is an indication of when the camera calculates balanced exposure in luma between darks and lights

TrueIndigo
06-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks, that's useful to know.