PDA

View Full Version : GH1 footage on a TV

Mike@AF
06-19-2009, 10:11 PM
The only thing that's really holding me back from getting the GH1 is how it looks on a TV. So to get an idea I played several things posted in the Stills & Motion Gallery on my TV.

All playback was done with a MacBook Air connected to my Pioneer Elite 60" plasma via a Mini Display Port-DVI adapter connected to a DVI-HDMI adapter and then an HDMI cable connected to the TV. Output was 1920x1080 @ 60Hz with the display set to Dot-by-Dot. Everything but a YouTube clip was being scaled by the MacBook Air to fill the screen perfectly. The YouTube clip was a little bit smaller for some reason.

Even with the web compression everything looks remarkably very good on a 60" TV. I do see some of the same noise in various places on almost all of them, but it really looks like compression. Being that all but one were Vimeo, I'm not surprised to see that. I also tried the shots from the full AVCHD folder that EdMcLeodJones upped, playing fullscreen in QT, and those didn't exhibit what I'm referring to nearly as much, so I'm guessing it's a lot to do with compression. BTW, I did see the muddy frames in a couple shots with quick camera moves. I was looking for issues with the footage though, and question with casual viewing if it would really be noticeable.

Simply put, I'm thoroughly impressed and somewhat peeved. For $1500 this seems like an incredible camera. I paid about $6K for my HVX200 with 2 4GB P2 cards just over three years ago and it blows me away how a $1500 camera can come this close to it. And in some regards it's even better. All that said, I'm still not 100% convinced I should get the camera, but I'm much much closer.

Isaac_Brody
06-19-2009, 10:28 PM
You should see raw footage on TV. I finally had the PS3 viewing experience, no vimeo compression, no funky pulldown, looks gorgeous on a big HD screen. And I agree, if you take a little care in your shooting and lighting you can really compete with much more expensive cameras.

PappasArts
06-20-2009, 12:33 AM
You should see raw footage on TV. I finally had the PS3 viewing experience, no vimeo compression, no funky pulldown, looks gorgeous on a big HD screen. And I agree, if you take a little care in your shooting and lighting you can really compete with much more expensive cameras.

You don't need to have a PS3 to see that. Couldn't you have played back out HDMI from the GH1 to see recorded footage all long.... Doesn't the GH1 output a 1080I stream in correct 3:2 over 60i so you can watch your videos.

dmoreno
06-20-2009, 12:35 AM
I agree that watching raw footage, and even vimeo downloads, through a ps3 on a plasma screen is a whole different experience than watching files in your computer. AVCHD still seems hard to handle by most software, dropped frames, artifacts, and lots of other stuff, come from bad pulldown or the computer being unable to process the files.

Forrest Schultz
06-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Hello there fellas! Isaac, can you explain more about viewing the files through the ps3? i have myself a ps3 and a nice 47" lcd. id like to know what i would need to do to see what you are seeing. thanks!!!

dmoreno
06-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Just put your raw m2t files from the GH1 in a USB flash drive or usb external hard disc (put it in a folder named VIDEO in the root of your drive so PS3 can find it easilly, if its elsewhere you will have to set PS3 options to show all files). Then connect this to the ps3 USB port and you will be able to see it.
I believe it also will work if you burn your files to a DVD as data.

Isaac_Brody
06-20-2009, 09:21 AM
You don't need to have a PS3 to see that. Couldn't you have played back out HDMI from the GH1 to see recorded footage all long.... Doesn't the GH1 output a 1080I stream in correct 3:2 over 60i so you can watch your videos.

I don't have a GH1, so I was playing stuff from PS3. And yes, I did what dmoreno mentioned.

I've noticed that in the processing of footage to PC that some sharpening takes place. This happens in both voltaic and neoscene. I've played raw footage in toast and noticed that mud isn't really noticeable when playing native footage and I think its getting sharpened when ingested.