PDA

View Full Version : 3 to 4 GH1's in stock at

Localhost
06-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Henry's in Canada. Just got off the phone with them this morning. Their website still says pre order, so you have to call.

Commercial sales:

1 - 800 - 461 - 7960

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?dest=infocentre/reachus.jsp&storeId=10001

sunburst
06-18-2009, 11:18 AM
cool. ntsc right? whats the canadian price?

US would have to pay DUTY though + shipping right?

Rob Leickner
06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Just ordered mine from Henry's. They say it will arrive on Monday. Cancelled my Amazon order. Testing with actors starts on Wednesday for new film. Already bought Leica adapter, voigtlander 35mm f2.5 and Leica 50 mm 1.4. extra battery, polarizer, matrox mxo 2 mini (for realtime pro res ingest), Zoom h4n, 2 sennheiser wireless mics plus tripod and monopod. I just realized you all could probably care less about all this stuff.

Currently using the HV30 and HV20 and can't wait to get my hands on the GH1. If this camera works out I'll sell both of those and buy a second one.

A clip from my current film "Everything Louder than Everything Else" shot on the HV20 ad HV30 if anyone is interested...

http://vimeo.com/3376298

film blog...

everythinglouderthan.blogspot.com

Rob

Dingos8mybaby
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Definitely NTSC. $1899CAD. Not too sure if duties apply, though.

sunburst
06-18-2009, 12:02 PM
THANKS

yeah duties would likely apply. not to mention you might have to send it
to canada to be serviced.

Hey, you sent us - William Shatner,

only fair I send you - my gh1. :cheesy:

paulgandersman
06-18-2009, 12:03 PM
i just called and she said that it would be $1727 USD for the camera. the fastest shipping THEY offer is $39 ground. she said its luck of the draw on wether or not you'll have to pay duties, kind of depends on whos working that day sort of thing. i asked her if there is any sort of air mail faster shipping, she said i would have to have something set up with a US company and would have to work out all the details myself. this whole thing feels like it could take a while to get my camera. too many variables, too many places for something to go wrong. i'm in Texas btw.

Kholi
06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Only a crazy person wouldn't jump on this. It could take even LONGER to get it in the US.

If you really want one that's a fair premium to know that the camera is headed your way.

Orchidthief
06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Well I did the deed and purchased one. They had 5 in stock. Paid a premium that I'm now thinking about, so I gotta make up for the extra I paid.

Orchidthief
06-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Only a crazy person wouldn't jump on this. It could take even LONGER to get it in the US.

If you really want one that's a fair premium to know that the camera is headed your way.

Call me crazy...:cheesy:

I'll admit I'm kind of an impulse buyer when it comes to having to wait for stuff. At first I was gonna call back, but then just pulled the trigger.

Localhost
06-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I am paranoid now that my order didn't work out and that they will sell them all. Better call them back for reassurance...

andrzejkra
06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I found a place in Montreal getting them at the end of the month for $1680 Canadian. I don't want to say where, though - they don't take reservations and I don't want anyone else getting their grubby hands on my camera.

sunburst
06-18-2009, 01:02 PM
I am paranoid now that my order didn't work out and that they will sell them all. Better call them back for reassurance...

see, the French, [ and maybe French Canadians, too ] have a saying right?

no good deed will go unpunished!

what the hell eh?:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

PhilD
06-18-2009, 01:18 PM
I found a place in Montreal getting them at the end of the month for $1680 Canadian. I don't want to say where, though - they don't take reservations and I don't want anyone else getting their grubby hands on my camera.

Thanks for the info, I'm in Montreal too...

Ken7
06-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I just ordered one from here too. I'm fed up with the Panasonic B.S, Shopatron et al. The price difference is minimal with no tax since I'm in N.Y and I know this place has it.

Nice people to deal with by the way. Thanks to Localhost for the info!

J Davis
06-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Thursday 5pm EST
Just called Henry's, they have 1 left with 14-140 kit lens selling for $$1727.00 + tax + shipping + duty
warranty will be canadian not US which is why I passed on it.

Ken7
06-18-2009, 01:58 PM
What are the implications of a Canadian warranty vs U.S.? First I've heard of that.

J Davis
06-18-2009, 02:04 PM
It means u send it back to canada if there are problems/faults

Ken7
06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I just called. No biggie since I'd have to send the camera somewhere to be repaired anyway.

Dingos8mybaby
06-18-2009, 02:13 PM
You most likely will have to send the cam up here for warranty service. I'm pretty sure that's how most manufacturer's warranties work - where you bought it is where it gets serviced. Other than that, there should be no difference between US and Canadian warranties. Well, maybe since there are less people up here, you could get your cam back faster...but less people means less repair centres, so...

Orchidthief
06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I just ordered one from here too. I'm fed up with the Panasonic B.S, Shopatron et al. The price difference is minimal with no tax since I'm in N.Y and I know this place has it.

Nice people to deal with by the way. Thanks to Localhost for the info!

Same here. I ordered off the Panny site and my total was $1676, so price difference wasn't too excessive. My total from Henry's was $1940 CAD, I believe. If that's correct, then conversion is about $1720, a difference of about maybe $45. Now all I have to worry about is the VAT charge, which I hopefully won't get raped with.

Ken, let me know the status of yours. Mine is shipping to CA, so I'm curious as to when I'll receive mine.

J Davis
06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Henry's price us $1727.00 US dollars without tax or shipping or border duty.
Thats a lot more than $1499 US (without tax) that B&H or Adorama will charge.

EDIT:
holy crap .. I am so glad I did not buy that last remaining camera at Henry's.
I just called Sara at Panny to ask her about distributors getting priority (mentioned in earlier posts) and she
said my Panny Direct ordered camera has shipped! Apparently they didn't email me to let me know.
I am skeptical but she did give me a UPS tracking number.
A call to my bank shows that the money is held on my card but not fully charged.

I say all this to warn others to check on their Panny Direct order before buying elsewhere.

paulgandersman
06-18-2009, 03:15 PM
i'm sure you've said it before, but what was your order date?

paulgandersman
06-18-2009, 03:16 PM
edited this post because it was unnecessarily harsh. my bad.

J Davis
06-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Like I said I am skeptical. I am based in NYC, ordered June 5.
Sara did give me a UPS tracking number
and said it shipped 17th
card had money held from 15th

EDIT:
has arrived Friday June 19

paulgandersman
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
ridiculous, i should just cancel my May 27th order and re-order, i bet i'd get it faster.

Orchidthief
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM

Actually, my total minus the border duty was 1720. As for tax, since it is shipping to CA, I didn't get taxed. My total order from Panny direct was 1676 because I paid for overnight shipping. True it is a little more, but at least I know the camera is on it's way. Didn't want to order from BH or Adorama cus they have no clue as to when they're getting it.

I talked to Sarah this morning and she gave me August, so based off that I made this decision. After I finally get my camera, I'm done dealing with Panny direct.

wowubbzy
06-18-2009, 05:29 PM
You ordered 6/5, *JUNE FIFTH*, and your order shipped?!

Sorry I was venting at Panasonic not you. How do I get in touch with this Sara?

Wait, I just checked my CC account. There's a mysterious credit hold that happens to addup to the GH1 price and another purchase from today. There may be hope. Of course my order status is forever stuck on "ships late May".

Like I said I am skeptical. I am based in NYC, ordered June 5.
Sara did give me a UPS tracking number
and said it shipped 17th
card had money held from 15th

J Davis
06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Actually, my total minus the border duty was 1720. As for tax, since it is shipping to CA, I didn't get taxed. My total order from Panny direct was 1676 because I paid for overnight shipping. True it is a little more, but at least I know the camera is on it's way. Didn't want to order from BH or Adorama cus they have no clue as to when they're getting it.

I talked to Sarah this morning and she gave me August, so based off that I made this decision. After I finally get my camera, I'm done dealing with Panny direct.

Glad you are getting it thru a more reliable means. More power to you!
Even though Sara at Panny has told me mine has shipped and given me a tracking number ... I am taking it with a grain of salt.
When I open the box, then I will believe it.
I have a pre- order with Adorama as well, B&H don't take preorders but will do phone orders on the day they are in.
As you can see I am trying to cover all bases - hope I don't end up with two cameras !

Orchidthief
06-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Glad you are getting it thru a more reliable means. More power to you!
Even though Sara at Panny has told me mine has shipped and given me a tracking number ... I am taking it with a grain of salt.
When I open the box, then I will believe it.
I have a pre- order with Adorama as well, B&H don't take preorders but will do phone orders on the day they are in.
As you can see I am trying to cover all bases - hope I don't end up with two cameras !

Good stuff J. Yeah, I may be one of the few cases where they botched my order. If so, the heck with them. I've gotten so many different stories from them which is why I just paid the little extra to get it shipped from Canada.

Hopefully yours comes through. If it does, unpack that thing and shoot away....Then post footage up here!

Ken7
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Well I was going to be charged tax from Panasonic. So the difference is minimal since there is no tax from Canada. Border duty according to UPS will be less than $10. Thus, the real difference in price was less than $100. Small price to pay to avoid this jerking around from Panasonic.

Some have more tolerance than others for this treatment. I have very little.

Ken7
06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Sorry I was venting at Panasonic not you. How do I get in touch with this Sara?

That's what I was trying to figure out. I lost count of how many times I called Panasonic. I never got anyone by the name of Sarah, but I almost always got the same guy who was generally clueless.

Orchidthief
06-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Well I was going to be charged tax from Panasonic. So the difference is minimal since there is no tax from Canada. Border duty according to UPS will be less than $10. Thus, the real difference in price was less than $100. Small price to pay to avoid this jerking around from Panasonic.

Some have more tolerance than others for this treatment. I have very little.

Ken, where did you get the $10 amount for border duty? Also, did they state what form of delivery UPS would use?

Reason I ask is cus the rep I spoke to said that UPS would be in contact with me once the package arrives at the border. Also, just checked my account and I have a pending charge for the amount of the camera already! =)

Ken7
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Yup, they stated 'ground' or 'normal', I don't recall which. The bottom line is that it's expected around Wednesday, being shipped out tomorrow (that according to UPS and typical transit times from Toronto to N.Y.).

As for the $10 border duty, you've got to go through a convoluted UPS form after you register on the UPS website. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out and get the proper code for 'camera equipment'. In actuality, the estimate ranged from $2 to $0 depending on the answer to a question I wasn't quite sure about. I tried both answers to get the variation in border duty.

But don't hold me to it Orchidthief, it's just an estimate.

Localhost
06-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Did anyone receive a tracking number? The were supposed to be emailed tonight after 8.

Orchidthief
06-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Did anyone receive a tracking number? The were supposed to be emailed tonight after 8.

If you're referring to a UPS tracking number, then no. I did get a reference number from Harry's though. Also, like stated earlier my payment for the camera has been is in the process of being deducted from my bank.

Keep me posted on your situation...Also where are you located and when did they say you were suppose to receive it.

Localhost
06-19-2009, 07:13 AM
I was refering to a Canadapost tracking number. I called this morning and got one.

I am only about a days drive from the warehouse and was told that I would receive it today or Monday.

Its out for delivery!

Localhost
06-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Delivered!

Surprised at the weight compared to my G1 and the 14-45. I think I will keep that lense for everyday use.

Orchidthief
06-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Damn, that was quick! I'm gonna call them up and see what the status is.

So I just spoke to them and it's been shipped. 3-5 days is what he's saying. I'm hoping it'll be here by Wednesday next week. =)

chaos
06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
damn they're sold out :(. fuck panasonic