PDA

View Full Version : What memory card are you using for GH1?

Kiri
06-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Curious to know what kind of memory card and what capacity card people are going for with their GH1s?

I'm thinking about buying this camera over the next few days, so trying to figure out what kind of card I should get.

tonydvcoste
06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
where are you from? unless it's been released a month ago you might not be able to stroll into an electronics store and pick one up, if you're in the US or canada i guess that's how the story goes. i was thinking the same thing though, i pre-ordered mine at the first of june and will be getting it tomorrow (at the earliest, maybe monday), and today i was going to pick up a card but even cheapo class 6 cards are waaay over priced in my small town, i have walmart/staples/futureshop, and that's it, it would be a shame to get the camera so soon (when i wasn't expecting to get it till mid july) and not be able to use it the first day because i had to order a card online just to be able to afford it, ya know?

Kiri
06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey tonydvcoste,
I'm in Japan, so I actually can just literally walk around the corner and pick up one at my local electronics store :) It will also be a bit cheaper than the ones sold overseas I think...
Of course, the downside is that they only sell domestic models here (meaning all the menus etc are ONLY in Japanese). So I will have to learn some new Kanji, and/or memorize the menu positions from the manual :(

Do you know what the minimum speed card is that I will need for the GH1 to be able to record video without problems? And how many GB minimum would you recommend? I guess it depends on how much video I want to record at one time... but roughly?

TrueIndigo
06-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I bought normal Kingston Class 6 SDHC cards, which were cheaper than a fast SanDisk Extreme equivalent, but the Kingston card was fast enough to record AVCHD 720p50 and 1080p25. I have not tried the 720p30 MJPEG yet. I chose 8 GB sizes to match the 1 hour recording time I had with DV tapes (and if a card develops a fault, I've only lost 1 hour's footage).

Kevin I
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm also in Japan and picked up my GH1 at Yodobashi camera in Akihabara.

I bought 2 Silicon Power Class 6 16GB memory cards at Akibo on the other side of the train tracks for 2,999 yen each (roughly $29 USD).

The store had a chart outside saying the Silicon Power cards are rated at 10MB/s... but whether that is read/write/both it didn't say. There were faster cards at 15MB and 20MB/s... but they were also much more expensive.

I shot at 1080 60i for about an hour during a trip, and had no problems with dropped frames as far as I can tell. I've also shot at 720 30p in MJPEG mode without problems.

Kiri
06-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys, thats very useful information. I think I will try and get a class 6 of some kind of about 8GB.

gmoe
06-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Anyone know if the GH1 takes 32g SDHC cards? Thanx

iwanowskip
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I am pretty sure it does since it is the same format. I am still waiting for my GH1, in the meantime I am also looking for some card. I was thinking of getting Transcend class 6 16GB one, read a lot good reviews about it. They are relatively cheap and people seem to be satisfied with their performance.

Abstract Photog
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
I am pretty sure it does since it is the same format. I am still waiting for my GH1, in the meantime I am also looking for some card. I was thinking of getting Transcend class 6 16GB one, read a lot good reviews about it. They are relatively cheap and people seem to be satisfied with their performance.
Iv used Transcend before, and now Iv got a 16GB class 6 waiting for the GH1.

EdMcLeodJones
06-19-2009, 04:55 AM
I'm using a Transcend 16GB Class 6, seems to work fine.

tonydvcoste
06-19-2009, 07:02 AM
32gb will work, and in the ntsc version of the camera it means you can record for four hours straight, but the pal version cuts you off at 29 minutes and 59 seconds. the camera writes at 17Mb (bites, not bytes... i think?) so as long as your card writes above that i dont' see why it wouldnt' work, but also you shouldn't buy a bunch of cards that will barely do 17Mb because (and you also shouldn't hold your breath over this) they might actually release this firmware update we're all signing the petition over (please, PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!). Kevin I, your lucky, in my small town the cheapest card i could find was the panasonic, 150 bucks... I will of course buy a few cheap 16's or 32's, but i've already experienced card failure so i will be researching. not that they would work with video on this camera, but DON'T BUY DURACELL!!

Park Edwards
06-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Class 6 does 6Megabytes a second which is far more than the Gh1 writes. The gh1 writes at 17mega bits a second which would translate to about 2 mega bytes a second. Anything above Class 4 will do just fine. Don't read into buying the most expensive and fastest cards out there, just find a reputable brand and stay away from ebay. As far as size goes, just get whatever. 4-8-16-32....for NTSC it doesn't matter. PAL, I've heard you can't go over 30min record times.