PDA

View Full Version : How best to work with illustrators/animators?

andrew00
06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey,

So I've a music video coming up and am going to get an illustrator to create some drawings for the 'frame' of the image, i.e. for the side and bottom part. I suppose the obvious reference is like theatre curtains framing the side of a stage.

(Well in fact was thinking of maybe animating them by getting her to make the arms separate and articulating them then stop motion shooting them for a weird effect of the tree arms moving whilst the video plays.

I'm shooting on my usual camera - Sony EX1 which is 1920x1080 and will be cropping for 2.39:1 aspect ratio, so the final dimensions of the video will be 1920w by 804h pixels.

How big should I tell her to make her illustrations - i.e. so they look as HQ as the video?

I mean I can say to her take the width and divide by 2.39 for the height but what is the starting dimensions of the image?

How big does it need to be in Meters/CM/MM or Feet/Inches etc to be of equivalent size to stack up?

Oh and for the record I'll prob end up shooting the frame on a DSLR against a green screen for ease - was thinking top down.

Many thanks!
a x

Sad Max
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
The proportions will remain the same regardless of the overall dimensions of the finished work.

If you're going to photograph the work and import it for compositing, then the dimensions of the piece should probably be driven by the available dimensions (particularly height constraints) of the space in which you plan to do the photography.