PDA

View Full Version : what issues would I have with a PAL GH1 in the US?

midnightblues
06-12-2009, 06:44 AM
With all expenses aside, what issues might I have with a PAL GH1 in the US? I think Philip Bloom used the RED GH1 on his test shoots, right?

will i be able to playback through the HDMI port?
will I need a power converter?
what are the other issues that might creep up? is there going to be flicker or wavy footage like some D90 footage (don't know the tech term for it)?

anthonybsd
06-12-2009, 08:38 AM
will i be able to playback through the HDMI port?

I presume you are talking about playback, not live output (which as you know doesn't work on either of the versions until Kholi gets off his butt and executs a 4 button uber-hack unlock combo). My understanding is that PAL/NTSC are analog standards and so don't come into play when displaying digital HD content (someone correct me on this?). I.e. if your TV can scale down it's Hz to frame rate of HDMI signal you should be good to go.

will I need a power converter?

You will need an outlet adapter for the charger.

dmoreno
06-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I can't tell from HDMI playback from the camera since I don't have one (yet!). But I can tell you I downloaded RAW GH1 footage from a PAL camera and played it on my PS3 through HDMI without any conversion and they looked perfect (I have a "US-made" Panasonic Viera Plasma)
Also, most cameras come with a charger/adapter that can handle worldwide eletricity (100-240 wattage), I know this because I've been able to charge all my NTSC cameras in Europe, you just need a cheap outlet type adapter. Some GH1 owner could confirm that.

Kerplunk
08-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Will your Viera handle an SDHC card?

nathankw
09-01-2009, 02:05 AM
I think the only potential issue with filming is the 60hz light flicker when filming under artificial lighting (due to american main supply being 60hz not 50hz as it is in PAL land).
I've heard people speculating about this but I don't think there's much hard evidence on whether this is a problem and whether you can work around it (shooting 1/60th shutter for instance.)

I'm going to be taking my GH1 to canada soon so I'll let you know what I find.