PDA

View Full Version : Canon EF lens adapter - 10-22mm wide lens any good?

commanderspike
06-12-2009, 01:31 AM
I have found a Canon EF lens adapter for the GH1 on eBay, 50 from China plus shipping.

Now I find this interesting, because I don't want to spend 700 on the 7-14mm wide lens from Panasonic great as it may be.

I have a 400 10-22mm Canon EF lens anyway, which I used to use on my 30D.

Has anybody used one of these EF adapters rather than the more common FD lens adapters, what are the results like?

This is a great wide lens, but with the 2x crop factor on the GH1 would it still work out as a respectably wide 20mm equiv. 35mm?

(Sorry if this crop issue has been answered before, but I found previous threads on the subject rather longwinded to read and inconclusive / or at least overcomplicated!)

The 30D has a 1.5 (or was it 1.6x?) crop factor.

Is the 10-22mm Canon quote for the lens 35mm equiv with the 1.5x crop factor? Any straight forward answers will do...

I am having trouble working out how such a wide lens would work on the GH1. Still good?

Abstract Photog
06-12-2009, 01:53 AM
the focal legnth equivalent will be 20-44mm on the GH1. still pretty wide.
but unless you found an adapter with a plunger, your not gonna have aperture control.

Martti Ekstrand
06-12-2009, 02:00 AM
If you gonna make in-ya-face booty-shakin' hip-hop videos the 10mm wide end is great. It's pretty rare to go wider than 20mm in 35mm movie cinematography. Wider angle and movement don't work that well together be it pans/tilts or somebody moving through frame. And actors tends to have hissy-fits worse than Christian Bale when they see the result of a 14mm stuck up on their nose. The 18-22mm tighter end of the lens should be useful though if it's speedier than the kit lens. I'm really happy for the Canon FD 20mm f2.8 I scoured second hand this week. (for some reason Sweden is nearly devoid of good 2nd hand Nikkor lenses now, guess they have all been grabbed by 5DmkII owners prior to the manual exposure firmware release)

Does the lens have manual aperture? If not, will it stay wide open or closed? Or can you hack it to stay open? At 50 from plus shipping it sounds like steal considering you have the lens.

dcloud
06-12-2009, 02:37 AM
thats an EF-S
so it would be something like x1.25
15-33

Its great

except:
no control of aperture and AF.

commanderspike
06-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Great stuff.

Can't wait to get that adapter.

No aperture control, that's true, but with the lack of electronic control it defaults to wide open - F3.5 at 10mm, fine by me. Faster than Panasonic's 7-14mm F4 at wide angle.

I agree that extreme wide shots make people's faces look ridiculous in close up.

Crop factor is a blessing in disguise.

dcloud
06-12-2009, 04:59 AM
Crop factor is a blessing in disguise.less distortion, no vignette!:beer:

hish
06-12-2009, 05:11 AM
thats an EF-S
so it would be something like x1.25
15-33

No it's not. EF-S means that the lens is mounted deeper into the camera to keep costs down, and the image circle only covers the APS-C sensors. The crop factor is the same.

I can't believe there are still people in this forum that have problems with this, even though it has been discussed 123892 times in 9234 threads. '

THE FOCAL LENGTH STATED ON EVERY LENS WHAT THE LENS WOULD HAVE ON A FULL FRAME SENSOR.
EVERY LENS EVER MADE HAS A CROP FACTOR OF 2 ON A GH1.

AdrianF
06-12-2009, 05:46 AM
I think the thread created by divide, tabling the fov on the various formats needs to be resurrected and made a sticky. Otherwise this and endless threads about mud will be all there is to read, unless you've got ninja like forum skills.

dcloud
06-12-2009, 06:28 AM
THE FOCAL LENGTH STATED ON EVERY LENS IS THE 35MM EQUIVALENT.

ok i got confused by this:
the EFS18-55 is equivalent to 29-88mm full frame focal length
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-55_3p5-5p6_is_c16/

Late
06-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Edit: dcloud deleted his post so there's no reason for reply.

dcloud
06-12-2009, 07:05 AM
ok heres what i think..
if you stick an EF-S on a 4/3... the cropping isnt x2
http://i42.tinypic.com/1htqg6.jpg

SO i could be wrong on my number (1.25)
BUT im sure FOV would be slightly cropped from an EFS lens

(GH1 actually is a little wider in 16:9)

Late
06-12-2009, 07:08 AM
THE FOCAL LENGTH STATED ON EVERY LENS IS THE 35MM EQUIVALENT.

Umm... no. Most lenses have the real focal length of the lens printed (although some manufacturers put stickers on the consumer lenses to let you know the 35mm equivalent). The focal length is not format dependent. You speak as if focal length is somehow tied to the 35mm format. It's not. The 35mm format is a format among many and is just used to compare to other formats due to it's familiarity. The focal length is simply the focal length of the lens. It's not 35mm equivalent or APS-C equivalent. It's just the focal length. The same focal length gives you different FOVs on different sensors.

Late
06-12-2009, 07:10 AM
ok heres what i think..
if you stick an EF-S on a 4/3... the cropping isnt x2
http://i42.tinypic.com/1htqg6.jpg

SO i could be wrong on my number (1.25)
BUT im sure FOV would be slightly cropped from an EFS lens

(GH1 actually is a little wider in 16:9)

Well that depends on what you're comparing it to. If we're talking about 35mm equivalents then the crop is ALWAYS 2. If you're using the APS-C as the baseline then it's obviously not 2, but I haven't really heard anyone talk about APS-C equivalent focal lengths.

dcloud
06-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Well that depends on what you're comparing it to. If we're talking about 35mm equivalents then the crop is ALWAYS 2. If you're using the APS-C as the baseline then it's obviously not 2, but I haven't really heard anyone talk about APS-C equivalent focal lengths.yeah that was my point few posts ago

ive been trying to figure that number out for the longest time..

Late
06-12-2009, 07:24 AM
yeah that was my point few posts ago

Not really. Everyone else was talking about 35mm equivalents. Just because the lens is designed for a crop sensor it doesn't change the 35mm equivalence of the lens. If it's a 10mm lens (no matter if it's designed for FF or APS-C) it's going to be a 20mm in 35mm equiv on a GH1. If 35mm is used as the baseline the crop factor is always two no matter what the image circle of the lens is.

Martti Ekstrand
06-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Here's the easy reference: a focal length of 25mm on GH1 is normal FOV. Anything below is wide angle, anything above is tele.

dcloud
06-12-2009, 07:30 AM
the 10-22 lens is an EFS lens.. so i said it wont be a 2x crop.
it wasnt about 35mm cropping. it was about the lens. the topic says so.

although im sure i was wrong about the number. (x1.25 15mm)

Ok i get it now, late ur right. im out. hahaha

hish
06-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Umm... no. Most lenses have the real focal length of the lens printed (although some manufacturers put stickers on the consumer lenses to let you know the 35mm equivalent). The focal length is not format dependent. You speak as if focal length is somehow tied to the 35mm format. It's not. The 35mm format is a format among many and is just used to compare to other formats due to it's familiarity. The focal length is simply the focal length of the lens. It's not 35mm equivalent or APS-C equivalent. It's just the focal length. The same focal length gives you different FOVs on different sensors.

Yes, it was a bad formulation, should be that the focal length stated on the lens is the focal length you would get on a full frame sensor.

anthonybsd
06-12-2009, 07:52 AM

That is exactly right!

Although what most people REALLY care about 90% of the time is the angle of view (or field of view), and that typically is expressed in relation to 36x24mm plane.

commanderspike
06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
No it's not. EF-S means that the lens is mounted deeper into the camera to keep costs down, and the image circle only covers the APS-C sensors. The crop factor is the same.

I can't believe there are still people in this forum that have problems with this, even though it has been discussed 123892 times in 9234 threads. '

THE FOCAL LENGTH STATED ON EVERY LENS WHAT THE LENS WOULD HAVE ON A FULL FRAME SENSOR.
EVERY LENS EVER MADE HAS A CROP FACTOR OF 2 ON A GH1.

Oh good for you. Thanks for your kind help on the matter.

Just because you think it's simple doesn't mean to say everyone sits and studies a table of lens FOV factors.

To the others - a genuine thank you for the info.

But there still seems to be a lot of different opinions regarding the EFS lens. I guess I'll just buy the adapter, try it myself and see what the results are.

DonalDuc
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I have found a Canon EF lens adapter for the GH1 on eBay, 50 from China plus shipping.

Hmmm, 50 ~ $83

jinfinance (makes it) delivers for $ 79.50, no shipping costs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350201470018

http://666kb.com/i/b9qra8a5e9uuwyqep.jpg

AdrianF
06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Here's the thread I mentioned earlier, which seemed to go off on all sorts of tangents as always:-)
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=169831

How about doing a search for this lens on photo sites and look for example photos from Four Thirds cameras ( like the G1 ). That might give you some idea of the field of view on the GH1.

hish
06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh good for you. Thanks for your kind help on the matter.

Just because you think it's simple doesn't mean to say everyone sits and studies a table of lens FOV factors.

To the others - a genuine thank you for the info.

But there still seems to be a lot of different opinions regarding the EFS lens. I guess I'll just buy the adapter, try it myself and see what the results are.

You don't have to study a "table of lens FOV factors". It's just common photography knowledge. What is stated on the lens is what field of view the lens would have on a 35mm sensor. It has been said on THIS part of the forum several times, and it has been pointed out that every lens will have a 2x factor on the GH1 in the FAQ. You can remember the number 2, can you?
Hopefully the the temp FAQ finishes up soon so people can stop discussing the same matters several times a week.