PDA

View Full Version : GH-1 Bundle Ideas??

Shipsides
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey guys,

So AbelCineTech is getting into selling video accessories for the GH-1 and I'd like to get your feedback. I'd like to make bundles that lower the price overall for you guys, something similar to what we did with the Red User Group. I'm talking bundles aimed at the DSLR filmmaker - Tripods, Camera Support, Mattebox/FF, audio gear, etc. It worked out really well with the Red users because we were able to rally special deals from manufacturers. DVXusers can do the same thing. We just need to know what you are after. I'm a DSLR owner myself, so I have an idea, but I'd like to see what you guys think. Any ideas?

Miller / Manfrotto Systems - The Miller DV Compass system is pretty awesome.
Chrosziel / Zacuto / Arri Matteboxes and Support systems?
Z-Finder, HoodLoupe?
Monitors?
Audio Gear?
Bags?

Any ideas would be great. I can't promise anything at this point, but the bigger the response the better the package.

Andy

SonicStates
06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Matte Boxes/FF systems/rails - from the cheaper end to higher end stuff.
PS do you ship to Japan?

John Caballero
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Are you going to be selling the camera? I bought my HVX 200 from you and I would buy this one too.

reaktor
06-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Bundle the GH1 with audio gear like the Beachtek adapters. You will probably be best off selling a DSLR bag with it, like the KATA backpacks.

I think that as a bundle kit those are the two most viable options. You might consider battery packs as well.

Ben_B
06-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Short, cheap rods, with a follow focus, and some way to get a handle on the top without breaking the bank.

I am planning on getting a 10" rod system from indiefocus and building my own follow focus at the moment...I wish there was a bundle out there :)

Maybe bundle it with a lens adapter and some lenses? Cheap fast Nikon AI primes maybe?

SonicStates
06-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Maybe bundle it with a lens adapter and some lenses? Cheap fast Nikon AI primes maybe?

Like that idea

Jackson Miller
06-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Short, cheap rods, with a follow focus, and some way to get a handle on the top without breaking the bank.

I am planning on getting a 10" rod system from indiefocus and building my own follow focus at the moment...I wish there was a bundle out there :)

I like this whole thing. Especially the top handle part. It is ridiculous that redrock charges like 800 bucks for something that can't cost more than 20-50 bucks to make.

I don't know if you guys can actually manufacture anything, but imo, no one has actually nailed what we are looking for as far as a rig, except maybe zacuto, which not many people will pay for to use with a GH1. There is an open market for a 500-1000 dollar complete rig. Key points, It needs around 12 inch rails, with a pistol mount, and a pistol handle out in front which needs to be adjustable on all axis and therefore can fold up in between the two rails when you are not using it and decide to use the other handles. There should be one on the right side that can be straight up and down, or can be rotated to be held more like you would a DVX when handheld in normal mode (not the handle). There should also be a handle on top of the rig.

I know that isn't really what you were looking for because you probably can't manufacture this stuff and you were planning on just pulling together products from other makers. Sorry haha. I got a little carried away. but I agree with the guys above me as far as the lenses/adaptors etc.

Shipsides
06-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming. We will be selling the camera as soon as we can get it in, but we will have packages with and without the camera included.

I'm looking into optical adapters and expanding our lens range. We already sell Nikon mount Zeiss ZF lenses.

Boz
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
A kit for the GH1 is a great idea. If it's relatively affordable I may eventually get one if the GH1 issues get resolved. Please post a link here when kits become available. Thanks!

Mike@AF
06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
There are a lot of possibilities for bundles and pricing. It would be good to have some variations.

I think affordable is key for some of us, like me. This is a $1,500 camera. Some of those accessories listed in the initial post are pretty expensive relative to the price of the camera. If I had that kind of money to spend on accessories I'd be buying at least an HMC150 or an HPX170. Personally I want to have a full kit for under $3,000, but that's just me.

I've managed to put together a list of items needed for my kit and it's at $2,500 without a case for everything. However, that $2,500 doesn't include my boom and wireless lavs that I already have (I'd be getting an H4N). My kit includes the camera, tripod/head, H4N, SDHC cards, Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, UV Filter/Protector, ND filters, Circular Polarizers (regular and low light), Duto Soft filter, HoodLoupe, Hoodman H-300, NeoScene, and I'll get a few extra batteries/chargers. I personally will not be putting on other lenses, at least not right away, since this is probably a temp solution for me until the Scarlett comes out and I'd prefer to wait and see what happens with that.

Ben_B
06-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Steadicam merlin seems perfect for this camera...too bad it's like $800. But there are lots of similar stabilizers out there that are geared towards smaller cameras (we're talking your grandma's DVD recording handycam) that would never in a million years have worked with say...an HVX-200 with a 35mm adapter stuck on it, but are perfect for this camera.

John Caballero
06-12-2009, 07:33 PM
We will be selling the camera as soon as we can get it in

I called the New York store today and the woman that answered went around to ask and then said you were not going to be selling the camera! I will get it from you guys if you are then.

Jackson Miller
06-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I called the New York store today and the woman that answered went around to ask and then said you were not going to be selling the camera! I will get it from you guys if you are then.

Why does it seem like wherever you call, the reps are never really knowledgeable about anything?

I love their company though.