PDA

View Full Version : Mud Alert! Will an unhappy GH1 owner please sell me theirs?

stephenvv
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
So, a bunch of people with and without a GH1 are unhappy with the Mud codec issue.

Please, if you own one, I'm buying - pay full price + premium and whatever tax and shipping you paid for. If it's barely or unused, I might throw in a bit extra. Catch is I need it yesterday for pre-production testing on low budget feature. I thought I had one from someone who bought two but they now need them both.

I will even guarantee to sell it back to you for below the going price once they are widely available and with firmware "fix" people are hoping for.

I have bought sold cams here, DVinfo and listed on eBay as stephenvv

rubberbandito
06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Good luck with that. I've had a post here for over a week http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=173636
offering $1750 and no takers! Despite the complaining by a few seems like no one willing to sell here even though the price will come down in just a few weeks as normally happens with panasonic.

stephenvv
06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I thought you got one - you gave me the idea. That's weird, you would think with all the grandstanding, people would be happy to get out, especially if you are offering that much.

Kholi
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Keep your eyes on Ebay. It's about that time that cameras should start popping up. You may also want to offer a slight premium if it's imperative that you get one.

I sold my Japanese GH-1 swiftly, and for what I asked, so with as many "issues" as there are, it'll still be a hot ticket item.

stephenvv
06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I am scanning eBay but revised ad to pay premium.

Coco Bermudez
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
As a complainer, I am not giving mine up because if Panasonic fixes this "mud" issue, This is going to be a freaking cool camera!

Cassius
06-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Even though people are talking about it a lot, I'd be careful on interpreting that. Problems should be discussed, but everything has problems and it doesn't sound like a deal breaker for most people, especially since I've pretty much never seen it in a shot that wasn't specifically made to show it.

rubberbandito
06-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't think ur complaining super8. I've learned a lot from ur constructive reviews. There's a difference eh?:)

Only reason I am offering $1750 bc I have to pay vat and duties if I don't get it before leaving the US on june 17

Illya Friedman
06-11-2009, 02:26 PM
FWIW, I just watched a bunch of hand held dailies from the GH1--- no mud. In fact, it looks fantastic. I think I've finally nailed the native ASA of the camera. I'll blog about it more later.

John Caballero
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
FWIW, I just watched a bunch of hand held dailies from the GH1--- no mud. In fact, it looks fantastic. I think I've finally nailed the native ASA of the camera. I'll blog about it more later.

Come on Mr. Friedman! Don't tease like that. So many dreams are on the line!

Boz
06-11-2009, 05:50 PM
What a tease. ;)

rubberbandito
06-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Stephenvv

Just goes to show u that this camera is worth the $1500 or more. The 60p alone is worth that with interchangeable lenses and full manual control. And when G2 comes out we'll probably get 3k lines of resolution to compete with the scarlett!

SonicStates
06-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Very interested to read Mr. Friedman.

Stephenvv, not interested in Japanese menus are you? Won't take too much time in learning... Oh and btw I'm not selling mine but they are in stock here in Japan. Also just to clarify...English menus are not available and after talking to someone at Panasonic discovered they are not planning to release the Japanese model with an English menu in the future...pr%&ks

In regards to the mud issue, I'm sure it is there after a tonne of people have said so but so far, I'm still very impressed with the cam...will be using 2 of them for a short coming up.

stephenvv
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
I need English menus - use on set with other operators etc.

Kholi
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey Stephen and Rubber--

You actually may NOT need English Menus. Once you set the camera up, you probably won't do any more tasks than:

White Balance Change
ISO Change
Aperture Change
Format SD Card (Which you can do from the computer anyway)

The first three of which are in English anyway and accessible with a single button press on the back of the camera. It's really just

1. Press ISO button
2. Scroll to desired ISO
3. Record

Setting it up would require the english manual (downloadable) but you won't be doing that every time you turn on the camera.

Just a bit of advice.

stephenvv
06-11-2009, 09:31 PM
That's a valid point but what about formatting cards, playback, turning NR on/off, custom picture profiles for different scenes, etc.? On my DSLR, I do these things often.

commanderspike
06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
90% of stuff is easy on my Japanese model, the only things out of reach are a few of the more obscure setup options which don't have an icon.

External body controls are in English and do most of the stuff, turning noise reduction off, adjust image parameters are also easy because they're shortened to stuff like NR and an icon.

Then again it helped a bit that I was familiar with the G1's menus.

It's easier than I thought it would be.

For me, main problem is mud and the unknowns about whether it will even be worked around / fixed.

Kholi
06-11-2009, 11:14 PM
That's a valid point but what about formatting cards, playback, turning NR on/off, custom picture profiles for different scenes, etc.? On my DSLR, I do these things often.

Formatting will be as easy as two menu presses that are easily definable by a men icon.

Playback is the Play Button
NR should probably never be on, but everything after this is another button press on the top of the camera and press left or right to change it.

Trust me, from experience, it's extremely simple and as long as your camera operators are competent on a picture book level they can understand this after a few times done.

Illya Friedman
06-12-2009, 04:20 AM
Working nights right now...wrapping at about 3:30-4:AM the last 3-nights. Can't really see straight right now, I can tell you that the camera is way, way faster than 100. Last set of 'go arounds' when we had some down time put GH1 ASA in 100 ISO mode at 640 before any knee kicks in. Seems pretty right-on. Some 100 ASA low light stuff is looking amazing.

As I said I'll blog about it when I get a good nights sleep and then a day off.

BTW, ISO 400 - Is looking good with meter ratings of 2500! The camera loves light, and yet hates over lighting. It feel like someone finally built a cool (mostly professional) little camera for me. The lenses obviously make a big difference in how we can work. The lighting technology on the job is amazing. I'll tell you there are scenes being lit where all the light is coming from AA battery powered Rosco Light Pads!

Orchidthief
06-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Working nights right now...wrapping at about 3:30-4:AM the last 3-nights. Can't really see straight right now, I can tell you that the camera is way, way faster than 100. Last set of 'go arounds' when we had some down time put GH1 ASA in 100 ISO mode at 640 before any knee kicks in. Seems pretty right-on. Some 100 ASA low light stuff is looking amazing.

As I said I'll blog about it when I get a good nights sleep and then a day off.

BTW, ISO 400 - Is looking good with meter ratings of 2500! The camera loves light, and yet hates over lighting. It feel like someone finally built a cool (mostly professional) little camera for me. The lenses obviously make a big difference in how we can work. The lighting technology on the job is amazing. I'll tell you there are scenes being lit where all the light is coming from AA battery powered Rosco Light Pads!

Awesome to hear this Illya....With my desparation of waiting for my US version, I've given getting a japanese model one a thought.

rudyo
06-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Well if you REALLY have to have one now.... there is one on Amazon that is supposedly in stock, for the cool price of $2499.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001WAKSCW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1244767035&sr=1-1&condition=new

stephenvv
06-12-2009, 06:05 PM
yikes, that's serious gouging and our film budget is set, so no thanks "dream kitty"

rubberbandito
06-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Well if you REALLY have to have one now.... there is one on Amazon that is supposedly in stock, for the cool price of $2499.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001WAKSCW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1244767035&sr=1-1&condition=new

I can afford dream kitty's snoopy plush doll. How in de hell did dream kitty add the gh1 to her stuffed doll collection.

I love this forum!

dansh
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Hum... I just sold mine for $1450 (and at a BIG loss.) Too bad I haven't seen this thread before...

Justyn
07-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Here's two for sale on this forum. I would buy one but I can wait...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...62#post1702762

commanderspike
07-31-2009, 01:44 AM
I am selling 1 GH1 for $1650 in my link below (eBay Buy It Now) :beer: