PDA

View Full Version : alert 50 clip max??

Coco Bermudez
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I was wondering if any of you that have this camera have encountered this problem. I went out and shot with a ScanDisk Extreme III card. Problem is that when I try to read the clips, only 50 show visible from the computer.

Now, the camera does see all clips and can play them back, but the Apple computer I am reading it from only sees 50 XXXXX.MTS clips in the STREAM folder. When I first noticed this issue, I went ahead and formatted the card and quickly recorded over 50 new clips. When I had the computer try to read the clips, only 50 showed up again.

Anyone has the same issue?

Martti Ekstrand
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Do you do look for the files with Shedworx Flamingo in demo mode? If so the demo is limited to 50 files at once or at least it says so on their page.

http://www.shedworx.com/flamingohd

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like you might be describing an Apple software or SD card reader hardware issue, not necessarily a GH1-specific issue.

Have you tested using other SD cards or readers? What software are you using? Do you see this issue in the Finder or in your editing app? Are you using the latest version of your editing software?

In other words, can you narrow this down a bit?

Coco Bermudez
06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like you might be describing an Apple software or SD card reader hardware issue, not necessarily a GH1-specific issue.

Have you tested using other SD cards or readers? What software are you using? Do you see this issue in the Finder or in your editing app? Are you using the latest version of your editing software?

In other words, can you narrow this down a bit?

Brand spanking new 8 Core Mac Pro 2x2.66 HGz Intel Xeon and 16GB Mhz DDR3
Latest Final Cut Studio
Mac OS 10.5.7

The issue appears on the Finder as well as on Final Cut Pro. It will not see beyond 50 clips....

Coco Bermudez
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Do you do look for the files with Shedworx Flamingo in demo mode? If so the demo is limited to 50 files at once or at least it says so on their page.

http://www.shedworx.com/flamingohd

INTERESTING!!!

I wonder if you only get to see 50 clips because 50 clips is the max you can see with AVHDC?

Martti Ekstrand
06-10-2009, 02:17 PM
From their wording there it sounds like they go around that limit if you fork out money for it.

Martti Ekstrand
06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I wonder if you only get to see 50 clips because 50 clips is the max you can see with AVHDC?
Could also be how the SDHC card is formatted and OSX ability to read that format. Have you tried shooting 50+ stills?

Coco Bermudez
06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Could also be how the SDHC card is formatted and OSX ability to read that format. Have you tried shooting 50+ stills?

I have not tried 50+ still yet....i will try that. I formatted the card using the Panasonic camera..also I got another card and formatted using a Nikon d90 and still only 50+ clips were visible...

very annoying...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Just to clarify, are you using a "SD" card or a "SDHC" card?

Also, are you saying this happens in FCP's "Log and Transfer" window when viewing the contents of the card itself, or the contents of the card copied to the Mac's hard drive?

Coco Bermudez
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Just to clarify, are you using a "SD" card or a "SDHC" card?

Also, are you saying this happens in FCP's "Log and Transfer" window when viewing the contents of the card itself, or the contents of the card copied to the Mac's hard drive?

The cards I have are SDHC.

Not only does it happens in FCP's "Log & Transfer" window but if you open the FINDER and go to the PRIVATE folder, you will only see 50 clips and that is it.....

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-10-2009, 07:58 PM
The cards I have are SDHC. Not only does it happens in FCP's "Log & Transfer" window but if you open the FINDER and go to the PRIVATE folder, you will only see 50 clips and that is it.....

Thanks, Super8.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else gets the same or different results on their Mac. Sounds like a relatively easy (but monotonous) test for someone to do: Create more than 50 video clips on 1 SDHC card with your GH1; do they all show up on your Mac? (Or PC?)

Jackson Miller
06-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Well I'd certainly like to know, seeing as how I will be shooting a 15 minute short soon, and there are definitely times that I will need to have over 50 clips. In camera are more than 50 shown? In other words, can you look through all 60 (example) clips in camera but then you can only see 50 on your comp? Is it the last 10 that are cut out or the first 10 clips? Have you tried moving clips out of the folder and into another folder and then ejecting and putting the card back in to see if the other files show up in the first folder? because it sounds like they are still there if they would still show up in camera...

Damn. Not a good issue. Someone else has got to have run into this, come on guys. Are we sure this is just a GH1 thing?

Martti Ekstrand
06-13-2009, 12:44 AM
I was out late this night shooting some street life. Now after waking up I checked and I had done 48 takes. I did three more and then connected the cam to my MacPro, 10.5.4 and all 51 showed up and could be copied to my capture drive through Finder. I got the PAL model.

Martti Ekstrand
06-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Went out for some more testing in the afternoon and left the previous files on the card, now up to 65 .mts files on it that are both shown in Finder and can be copied to a harddrive. So it looks like something is amiss with your computer Super8.