PDA

View Full Version : How long will my mac last me?

Thomas Lew
06-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Right now I'm using a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 4gb of ram. Is this machine going to be powerful enough to last awhile? What are the specs of your guys' machines when it comes to editing avchd and doing post related things.

Cassius
06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Depends how long you use it. Really, that question can't have an answer. Yours is a little low for some of the higher end stuff, but it should work for most tasks. Also depends on what you expect to use it for. All you can really get a good answer for is if it will work well with a specific task; projecting into the future requires we know what specific tasks you'll need it for then, which we can't. Also, it's more a question of how well something performs comfortably, rather than at all.

I have a dual core 3GHz, maxed RAM and whatnot, PC, which I expect will be doing the same tasks it's doing now (editing and other post work) for a long time to come. My old one lasted me for a very long while as well, just couldn't quite make the jump to HD easily.

ilauzirika
06-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I just bought a new pc i7 920 2.66GHz (to be oced to 3-3,2) 6gig rams (not really used in xp) and nvidia gtx260...I'll report back when I get the pieces and put them together....

For nowe my current setup (which isn't really mine, that's why I'm buying one...) and the cs4.1 update works great with avchd and in real time with dvcpro hd. The current setup is a quad core duo at 2.33GHz (intel q8200) and a cheapo ati radeon 3680hd with three gigs of ram (more than enough in xp)....

So far so good, I'm buying the new one because I want my own computer(not that the one I have doesn't work). I also hope this new computer will last for some years... I mean, with the software in the current state even the multi thread capabilities aren't totally exploited...

BrianMurphy
06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
3 years it the best you can hope for. Buy the extended warranty, and when it expires the usefullness of your mac as a tool in our business will be expired as well. My first editing mac was a Quadra 950. I have lived with this for a long time. My MBP17's extended warranty expires in July. The next version of the OS will need lots of horsepower as does editing with AVCHD.
This has been my experience, from Avid on a Mac to Premiere on a Mac with Targa to Media 100 to Final Cut by Macromedia...oops I mean Apple.

AdrenalineSleep
06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
6gig rams (not really used in xp)
Can you elaborate on this please? How does XP not use 6 gigs?

I have a PC I bought a couple months ago. Not too expensive at all and works just fine with Premiere CS4.1

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
6GB DDR2 SDRAM
ATI RADEON HD 4670 512MB
+blu-ray burner

ilauzirika
06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Can you elaborate on this please? How does XP not use 6 gigs?

yep, xp being a 32bit OS it doesn't make use of more than 3 (or 4 I'm not totally sure), that's how I learnt it, but I don't kow the reasons behind it. Take a look in the system properties (you know My computer properties), an you'll see that it only shows 3gigs.

That being said, I changed to win7 64bit mainly due to it making ful use of my ram.

manglerBMX
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
i use my macbook pro 2.16 c2d with 3gb ram. been on it 3 years so far. but its about time to update. i try to get a new machine every 3-4 years.