PDA

View Full Version : Camera Question, Please HELP

tmroberts
06-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Okay so i was/am looking into buying a DVX. I friend brought up a good point and asked why i am not buying an HD camera, my response naturally was, MONEY! I dont have the funds to buy and HVX.

So here is my question. What are some good High Def. camera that cost in the $2,500-$3,000 range? The big draw to the DVX for me is the fact that it can shoot in 24p, do any of these other HD cameras shoot in 24p?

Thanks,
Taylor

Cassius
06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
You can probably find a used HVX for that on Ebay. I've never had a problem with used items, and almost always try for them when it's an expensive purchase. There are other options I'll let other people cover since I can't think of them right away. If you're determined to go new, just go to B&H and browse in that price range. As I've said before, purchasing a DVX new today is, in general, a poor choice.

Jay Birch
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Lumix GH1 maybe?

DEPTH OF PHIL
06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Uh huh, i think if i was going to buy a $2,500.00 HDV camera , i would just get into Canon MKII or GH1,It's where the industry is leaning and it will be a lot more filmic. But i guess it depends on what you will be shooting and your shooting style and needs,
Cheers

tmroberts
06-10-2009, 10:54 PM
thanks for the suggestions, i guess i hadnt given too much thought into getting a really nice DSLR with HD capabilities...i have read some stuff (not about those particular cameras) that shooting for even a period of like 10 minutes with one can cause it too over heat. is this a serious issue or just people exaggerating?

DEPTH OF PHIL
06-11-2009, 02:20 AM
A DSLR will put you in the game but not entry level as with a cheaper hdv/hd camcorder.
Cine Gear Expo was all about DSLR or Full HD rigs, with 35mm DOF adapters. There were no prosumer camcorders there except XHA1, Check the dslr threads on DVXUSER
Cheers

Finnegan
06-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Canon XH-A1 is running at around $3199 new I think, now that the XH-A1s model was released. It's a solid cam, 1080p/24p capable.

vic777
06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
The big draw to the DVX for me is the fact that it can shoot in 24p, do any of these other HD cameras shoot in 24p?Why is that a big draw? Are you going to transfer to film?

Finnegan
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Why is that a big draw? Are you going to transfer to film?

I would imagine that's his reason for wanting 24p. However, nowadays most prosumer cams are 24p capable so I don't think that'll be a hard option to find as far as cams go.

astigmatic
06-30-2009, 01:17 AM
for hdv cams today in that price range I would go sony fx1000. It's has better resolution and lowlight than the XHA1, but it's cmos, so you have to take that into consideration. For ccd, I would get the New JVC hm100u. AS for DSLR, it's a tradeoff, you get nice DOF control and LOW light, but with limited functionality, plus in may compromise how serious your talent, crew or clients take you.. which to me is a negative that outways any positives they have over larger cams... but I guess that doesn't matter so much if you already have an established reputation.

andythefilmer
07-04-2009, 01:22 AM
What's so bad about the DVX??? You can shoot squeeze mode which still gives you nice resolution. The only thing I don't like about it is that there's no solid state recording... I have spent about $450 in tapes in the past 5 months so you would probably want to invest in a firestore as well. I got my DVX100B used for $1000 so there's some sweet deals out there. If you really want HD, I would look for a used HVX or a used Sony FX1 or FX1000. I really don't like it when people bash the DVX because yes, it is starting to get outdated and it's SD but there have been many short films, documentaries and other videos shot on the DVX that look amazing!

yommytacoe
07-13-2009, 12:09 AM
What's so bad about the DVX??? You can shoot squeeze mode which still gives you nice resolution. The only thing I don't like about it is that there's no solid state recording... I have spent about $450 in tapes in the past 5 months so you would probably want to invest in a firestore as well. I got my DVX100B used for $1000 so there's some sweet deals out there. If you really want HD, I would look for a used HVX or a used Sony FX1 or FX1000. I really don't like it when people bash the DVX because yes, it is starting to get outdated and it's SD but there have been many short films, documentaries and other videos shot on the DVX that look amazing!

450 dollars on tapes? where are you buying them?!? thats way too expensive no matter how much you shoot.

andythefilmer
07-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I get the Panasonic DVMPQ tapes for $200 for a box of 50 at EVS.

http://www.evsonline.com

Per-Aage Braun
07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
nice price