PDA

View Full Version : About Shipping From Shopatron

Polanski
06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Today I received an email from Shopatron, telling me that my order would ship in 2-4 weeks. GGGGRRRRRR! I don't know what to do. Should I keep this order or cancel it? I think other companies will have the GH1 first...

Just to let you know...

Orchidthief
06-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Today I received an email from Shopatron, telling me that my order would ship in 2-4 weeks. GGGGRRRRRR! I don't know what to do. Should I keep this order or cancel it? I think other companies will have the GH1 first...

Just to let you know...

At least you have an idea of when it's shipping to you. MY status says shipping in June only.

Jackson Miller
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM

Just to let you know...

When did you order?

Orchidthief
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
MY order was placed on the 23rd of May and I still have yet to receive any info on a shipping date for it.

Abstract Photog
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
MY order was placed on the 23rd of May and I still have yet to receive any info on a shipping date for it.
yours is through Panasonic Direct right?

Polanski
06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Yes, It's through Panasonic direct and it was order a week ago.

Texanite
06-08-2009, 11:20 PM

That's the thing, shopatron IS 'other companies'. Shopatron themselves won't ever actually have GH1 in stock, that's not what they do.

They are a middleman company that enables individual end users to buy stuff from Panasonic (and other companies) without Panasonic (or other companies) having to deal with sending out products, one by one, to individuals.

You place an order with shopatron and they put you in a database. Then, retailers (or distributors or whoever) in your region will send you the product whenever they get it. So, for example, if Best Buy has a relationship with Shopatron, you might get your GH1 sent from a local Best Buy warehouse. Best buy gets a ton of cameras from Panasonic, they go to their Shopatron portal, and basically have the sales already lined up there for them.

That's basically how they work, as far as I can tell. That might mean you end up getting a camera tomorrow, or you might not get one for a months. Nobody knows. The 2-4 weeks that you got in the shopatron form-letter is the amount of time they believe it will take before one of their retailers gets the cameras from Panasonic and then sends it to you. All based on region and local availability, of course.

Abstract Photog
06-08-2009, 11:26 PM
the whole 2-4 weeks sounds to me like Shopatron saying...

"We have no idea when the hell these are going to ship"
"We have no idea when the hell you'll get your camera"
"2-4 weeks is a safe bet for us to cover our asses"

Texanite
06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
the whole 2-4 weeks sounds to me like Shopatron saying...

"We have no idea when the hell these are going to ship"
"We have no idea when the hell you'll get your camera"
"2-4 weeks is a safe bet for us to cover our asses"

Perhaps, although I'd say it's as least as likely that the form letter is saying "Panasonic told us these would ship in 2-4 weeks, so that's what we're telling you." Shopatron certainly doesn't know anything outside of what Panasonic is telling them. They don't have warehouses, they don't have orders in with Panasonic. They're not waiting for any product at all. They're not buying or selling anything. They're basically just an e-commerce database, business-to-business networking company.

In case anybody's interested in more details on Shopatron. I just found this Financial Times article written last year: http://ecommerce.shopatron.com/files/financialtimes_mar08.pdf
which includes the following:

"His business takes customers’ orders and places them on

“Confident Order Exchange” (Coex), an internet-based online
exchange where orders are taken up by a local retailer for
delivery or the goods are held in a store to be picked up."

sdhurley
06-09-2009, 04:15 AM
so I also have a Shopatron order. yesterday I called the 1-800 number (not the 1-877 that they offer for cancellations, which goes to Shopatron) and got a Panasonic rep who - like others have reported - could not find my order number.

So I said that the email said it was being handled by Shopatron and she knew what that meant and was going to transfer me over there but after a little wait on hold came back on to tell me that "the camera is on Backorder." When I pressed her about what that meant she gave me no more information

I'm going to try the 1-877 number today to see what an actual Shopatron employee is going to say.

Now, I haven't payed close attention to the roll-out's of other highly anticipated cameras, but this seems really bizarre and unprofessional.

Ben_B
06-10-2009, 01:46 AM
This is crazy, is it really so hard for a company to fill orders to people that ordered a product, and send them out? Freaking middlemen! I didn't ask to order through a middleman that would get the camera when a local retailer's supply chain gets it, I asked to get it from Panasonic, that's why I placed the order on..PANASONIC.COM! Wow. This is crazy. Completely crazy.