PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to sell their GH1?

rubberbandito
06-07-2009, 08:02 AM
I want to buy a GH1 and I just cannot wait. Do you want to sell your new GH1?

I live in the U.S. but am going for several months to Central America to film in small charities like orphanages and other service projects to help them in their own fundraising efforts. My only camera was broken in a motorcycle accident 2 months ago in Guatemala. I was planning on buying another HV30 until I heard about this camera. I have already delayed my plans to return to Central America waiting out this camera. Now they tell us its June 24 when we get the camera in the U.S. I can't wait that long. I have two separate orders in but both are saying the same thing. I hope someone on these forums has one for sale.

I would like to buy a NTSC but I think a PAL would be ok too. I am new at this so don't know all about formats but I believe PAL will work fine since the majority of my stuff will be internet based though some will likely eventually end up on a cable network in the U.S. But even then I think there is a way to get PAL to work on NTSC networks. I see I can buy a PAL camera from the U.K. for about 1199 pounds which is almost $2000. I would prefer to pay $1500 dollars as that is the price in the U.S. So hoping to find a used one from one of you on these forums for $1500. I will pay for shipping as well and if you paid tax can pay that as well.

Kholi had one in Japanese but I really need one in English. And I need it in my hands by June 14. And will need to know in the next two days, since if I can't find a seller I will either order a PAL version and have shipped over here or go with another HV30 and wait a few months until I get back before getting a GH1 (which I really don't want to do.)

Thanks for any offers to sell. My email is dis1@davidwhalen.com

Dave

PS: Another alternate may be to use HV30 for primary video and Nikon D90 for stills and some interviews with DOF recording audio to HV30. Price would be about $1500 but lugging multiple cameras in a backpack is not fun. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

tackleqb
06-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I need it in my hands by June 14.

I highly doubt your going to get one in your hands by June 14th. From what I can see most people here are satisfied with their GH-1'S and most sites have taken so many pre-orders it might be till late june/early july that you get it in your hands if you haven't already ordered online. Don't worry both of us are waiting, it's a bitch aint it...

upshot
06-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I'll let you know if I end up with two by June 14 (ordered from two different sources)... Kind of doubt it though!

Casalen
06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
A used one is only going to have been used for a couple of weeks. I really doubt anyone wants to take a $500 loss over that. If you're willing to pay UK prices, though, you have a chance of getting it. June 24th isn't all that far away, so you'd have to decide pretty quick for overseas shipping.

The GH1 is nice, but it isn't so amazing that you should be putting too much effort into getting one right now. You can get excellent shots out of the HV20 or 30, a lot of people have done so. A 35mm adapter (which I will never call a depth of field adapter since that completely misrepresents what it does) isn't necessary to getting good footage; just open the aperture and zoom in a lot, you'll get it at least acceptable. So get what you have available and make the most of it, don't get hung up on a pretty good camera just because there are so many posts about it.

bronxjragon
06-07-2009, 04:35 PM
A used one is only going to have been used for a couple of weeks. I really doubt anyone wants to take a $500 loss over that. If you're willing to pay UK prices, though, you have a chance of getting it. June 24th isn't all that far away, so you'd have to decide pretty quick for overseas shipping.

The GH1 is nice, but it isn't so amazing that you should be putting too much effort into getting one right now. You can get excellent shots out of the HV20 or 30, a lot of people have done so. A 35mm adapter (which I will never call a depth of field adapter since that completely misrepresents what it does) isn't necessary to getting good footage; just open the aperture and zoom in a lot, you'll get it at least acceptable. So get what you have available and make the most of it, don't get hung up on a pretty good camera just because there are so many posts about it.

agreed with Casalan, I definately am getting a GH1 but will wait it out. This sounds like an impulse buy when you already have great equipment to work with. I got the d90 within the first two weeks of its release and I regret it so much, sold it just a few weeks ago. moral of the story, patience!

rubberbandito
06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
all good points but I still think long term this camera is a good solution as it has interchangable lenses so I can upgrade body later on, and gives me great stills, unlike the hv30. if i had a camera i would not worry about it, but i don't as it was destroyed when a reckless driver smashed into me in guatemala.

found another solution. its looking like i can ship to guatemala when i get it on the 24th from the US via fedex for $100 and hopefully not get hit with customs duties if i list it as personal effects. if i do, its another $200-$300 or so which is still less then UK prices and uk amazon can't guarantee by june 16 anyway. adorama's statement last week of ship date of june 7 was wrong. its not going out. shopatron still says hold till june 24. panasonic.com is not even accepting orders anymore, I got to final payment page and then it spits out an error, doing it last saturday and today.

i seriously thought someone would have one to sell since there are so many people here trashing the codec. but it must not be that bad since have no offers. thats a good sign.

I'll let you know if I end up with two by June 14 (ordered from two different sources)... Kind of doubt it though!

upshot, if so, please let me know and I will have my order directed to you or we can work some kind of arrangement out if you still want two.

my flight leaves on the 17th of june.

if anyone does want to sell their used gh1 i am willing to buy it. make me an offer of price. i am willing to pay at least what you paid for it if it is gently used. i need it by 6/16 in michigan, usa. my email is dis1@davidwhalen.com.

Illya Friedman
06-09-2009, 01:06 AM
This might be a tough one. My friend purchased a second Japanese camera after falling in love with the first.

He also pre-ordered an American version which may arrive next week. If he get's it he may let one of the Japanese cameras go- There's some English, and most of the commands are pretty easy to figure out, because of the icons. If you'd consider a Japanese version he might sell it at a small loss.

rubberbandito
06-09-2009, 10:17 AM
If you'd consider a Japanese version he might sell it at a small loss.
Thanks Illya but I need the English. Pretty new to this stuff so really need those menus in English.

Not sure if i was clear before but I am willing to pay a little more then what you guys in the U.S. paid for it. I can offer somebody $1725 or if you want to make me an offer ok. I will pay for shipping to me also.

This way, you got to test out the camera, sell it to me for a good cause and make a few bucks as well, and get a newer one in 2 weeks when they release here.

I get in return not having to hassle with customs in Guatemala.

I can pay you via paypal or some other way you want.

Camera needs to be in pristine condition.

Thanks