PDA

View Full Version : PLAYSTATION 3 Playback

Coco Bermudez
06-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Has anyone been playing their clips directly from a PS3? I just shot a couple of 1080p scenes and the image looks stunning but some motion looks jittery and strobby. Anyone can shade some light into it?

Illya Friedman
06-06-2009, 09:33 PM
The camera original 1080p .mts files are playing back with the pulldown. Remove pulldown and try again. The motion should look significantly better.

Boz
08-29-2009, 06:39 PM
How the heck are you guys playing GH1 files on the PS3? Are you copying the files over via ethernet? Thanks.

Camera Expert
08-29-2009, 07:41 PM
You can have AVCHD files on an external hard drive, memory card or a data DVD and the PS3 will play them perfectly fine. You can even transfer them to the PS3's hard drive.

Boz
08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Sweet. Sounds good. So if I copy them to an external USB drive, it will see/play them? Man, I was looking everywhere for an SD slot on that PS3! lol

bbinnard
08-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I copy my HD video files directly from my GH1 onto a USB flash drive and my PS3 plays them with no trouble. Note that the PS3 will not see these files on the flash drive unless you use the triangle button to "Display all files" first.

dmoreno
08-29-2009, 08:56 PM
If you create a folder called VIDEO in the root of your USB flash drive or external hard drive and place the files there the PS3 will see them without having to set it to display all.

Camera Expert
08-29-2009, 09:01 PM
It’ll even playback HDV, WMV and DivX video files and unfortunately QuickTime is not supported.

I wanted the PS3 for many reasons but AVCHD playback was one of the big deciding factors. It would drive me nuts trying to playback AVCHD footage smoothly on my old computer that I downloaded from the net and when I finally got the PS3, I got highly impressed by how smooth the motion is. Since then, I’ve gotten a Blu-Ray burner equipped laptop in December that plays back AVCHD footage flawlessly but I still occasionally use the PS3 to see how my GH1 footage looks like on the TV.

tony240sx
08-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, looks like that put me over the edge. Im definitely picking up a PS3, especially now that its $300.

Ozpeter
08-29-2009, 11:22 PM
The model sold here doesn't have a card reader but an external one (SDHC compatible of course) works fine. Edited work also works fine if exported to DVD as an AVCHD file, or some software (even freeware multiAVCHD) will create AVCHD DVDs with menus.

elko99
08-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Does Vegas 8.1 Pro automatically remove the pulldown w/1080p24 files, or is there a specific methodology and render formula to do so?

If anyone knows, I'd truly appreciate the protocol....and, reference your PS3:

Many don't understand the full capabilities of the Playstation 3, especially its media server bonafides.

Using TVersity, a freeware program, you can easily stream all of your .mts, .m2ts and virtually all other video files you may have on another machine in your house...say a hard drive that you edit and store on, to your HDTV and amplifier, provided you have a networked ethernet node attached to your PS3, either wired or wireless.

Supercool, really. Thanks for all replies.

Ozpeter
08-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Or "PS3 Media Server" also I think freeware. PS3 wireless is a bit iffy but ethernet is fine.

Boz
08-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Here's another stupid question. I usually read cards through my monitor (which has card reader built-in)... SD cards work fine, but SDHC cards don't. Are ALL SD cards supposed to work, or does one need specific compatibility for SDHC?

ajamils
08-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Here's another stupid question. I usually read cards through my monitor (which has card reader built-in)... SD cards work fine, but SDHC cards don't. Are ALL SD cards supposed to work, or does one need specific compatibility for SDHC?

your monitor probably has an old card reader that does not support SDHC and it only supports SD.

Boz
08-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I thought SD was SD regardless of the "HC" (same pins after all). Ok, looks like i'm running to store to get a SDHC to USB adapter.

Carlos_Nieto
08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I've got the PS3 vs.1, you know, the one with the card reader slots. I'm out on holidays so I can't check it now, so my question is: can I play the GH1 AVCHD files directly from a SDHC card with it?

ajamils
08-31-2009, 09:52 AM
I've got the PS3 vs.1, you know, the one with the card reader slots. I'm out on holidays so I can't check it now, so my question is: can I play AVCHD files directly from a SDHC card with it?

Yes you can.

Carlos_Nieto
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes you can.

Great :-)

Kellar42
03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Has anyone had any success playing large (20gb+) H.264 HD files on this thing? We are running into buffer issues on a WD Media player and thinking of getting a PS3, but I'm a little nervous about the Fat32 file limit...I won't be able to transfer movies using a USB harddrive. Does streaming huge files like that take a lot of time? Anybody tried this?