PDA

View Full Version : how bad is crop factor on 50mm

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 03:18 PM
how bad is the crop factor on the 50mm? do you feel like you're having to back way too far up in order to get a shot that's still too close? or is it not bad to work with? i only have money to get one lens right now to go with my GH1 (plus the adapter) so im trying to decide between a 50mm 1.8 and a 28mm 2.8

also i'm going to be shooting a great deal of very low light stuff (bands performing in bars, etc)

Martti Ekstrand
06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't understand why you use 'bad' in this context. 50mm on GH1 is like 100mm on a full format SLR, digital or film.

John Caballero
06-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Its a 2x factor.

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 03:27 PM
well i'm kind of new to shooting with lenses all that much, i've spent a great deal of my filmmaking career tied down to a stock lens like on the HVX200 or something. so my brain is just having trouble comprehending what a 100mm would be like, how far from subjects i'll need to be to get proper framing, etc. and the other concern is that i'll be in very low light situations and am worried about 1.8 vs 2.8. i guess i just need some newbie advice (wish I could afford more than one lens, but i cant for now :/)

John Caballero
06-06-2009, 03:34 PM
This should help you a lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-frame_digital_SLR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-frame_digital_SLR)

squig
06-06-2009, 04:01 PM
how much is the budget for this one lens?

admactanium
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Do you have any kind of stills camera that you can zoom to a 100mm equivalent? If so, then you can get a good sense of the spacing needed for a 100mm lens. Most Point-n-Shoot cameras should cover that within their zoom range.

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 04:40 PM
haha, amazingly enough i have no point and shoot camera. and i'm planning on spending about 100 bucks on a lens off ebay, plus another 100 bucks for a nikon to m4/3 adapter. plus the 1700 bucks for the camera with shipping and taxes and im tapped out. i just want to make sure i have a lens for low light situations in the near future as I know i'll be in them quite soon. i'll be buying more lenses eventually for sure, im just gonna be close to broke after all this, and i wanna make sure i get the right thing for the time being.

John Caballero
06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Well thank the lords at Panasonic that you will be able to shoot some very nice footage with the very lens included in the $1700. It is actually a very nice lens, and nothing gets cropped from it to boot. WYSIWYG!

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
i know, im definitely thankful for that. it seems like a great lens. i'm just going to be doing a LOT of live band photography and the venues tend to have some pretty piss poor light setups, and i'm worried that the stock lens will be seeing nothing but darkness :/

admactanium
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
haha, amazingly enough i have no point and shoot camera. and i'm planning on spending about 100 bucks on a lens off ebay, plus another 100 bucks for a nikon to m4/3 adapter. plus the 1700 bucks for the camera with shipping and taxes and im tapped out. i just want to make sure i have a lens for low light situations in the near future as I know i'll be in them quite soon. i'll be buying more lenses eventually for sure, im just gonna be close to broke after all this, and i wanna make sure i get the right thing for the time being.
Let me see if I can give you a sense of it here:

Forgive these photos. They're nothing exciting but maybe it'll give you a sense of the focal distance differences.

I'm standing 6.25m from this wall.

This is at 14mm (24mm equivalent):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/jeffnee/28mm_equiv.jpg

This is at 50mm (100mm equivalent):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/jeffnee/100mm_equiv.jpg

100mm is fairly long for most personal uses. For something like shooting stage performances it might be quite appropriate though.

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 04:55 PM
wow! this was VERY helpful! thank you! the 50mm might be the best for live shows indeed!

squig
06-06-2009, 05:11 PM
While I have a few nikon lenses and I can recommend them if I were you I'd get minolta MC/MD canon fd, vivitar or pentax M42 lenses. You pay a premium for nikon glass. I bought a minolta rokkor MC 50mm f/1.4 for $60 and I like it more than the nikon ai 50mm. You can probably get an f/1.7 or 1.8 lens for half that much which will leave you with money for a 28mm lens. If you want an f/2 28mm get a vivitar for about half the price of a nikon and arguably just as good.

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 06:37 PM
thank you for the advice! i went and did some more research, and thanks to what you've said I have decided to get a Canon FD to Micro 4/3 adapter as well as a 28mm FD lens (turns out my friend has a 50mm FD they're gonna let me borrow!) seems perfect :)

squig
06-06-2009, 06:52 PM
:beer:

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 06:53 PM
also, this here:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=173572
shot with FD lenses sealed the deal for me, breathtaking!

Abstract Photog
06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
you could prob pull in a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 + 24mm 2.? & the adapter for your budget.
thats what Id do anyway. just have a bit of patience on ebay and youll walk away with a steal

Illya Friedman
06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.davideubank.com/

This inexpensive software should give you a comparison of popular formats (not sure if 4/3 is listed) but you'd get the idea.

squig
06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
just make sure there's no fungus, no oil on the aperture blades, no haze, no scratches on the glass, no coating marks (minor scratches and marks on the front glass shouldn't be a problem but it's easy enough to find mint glass) aperture and focus turns smoothly, and no dents in the front filter thread. A bit of internal dust is ok. The most common problem I've found with old lenses is the aperture blades stuck wide open.

paulgandersman
06-06-2009, 10:48 PM
ahh, well the 28mm i got off ebay. they SAID its mint. ...... will just have to wait and see hehe

dcloud
06-07-2009, 05:17 AM
Let me see if I can give you a sense of it here:

Forgive these photos. They're nothing exciting but maybe it'll give you a sense of the focal distance differences.

I'm standing 6.25m from this wall.

This is at 14mm (24mm equivalent):

This is at 50mm (100mm equivalent):

100mm is fairly long for most personal uses. For something like shooting stage performances it might be quite appropriate though.
you shouldve made a comparison on a 50 mm vs 100mm :P 24mm is just a huge difference :)

One thing i Kinda like on the crop factor is lesser distortion or no vignette.
and of course it sucks when it comes to wide lenses.. we have a few wide lense selection

AdrianF
06-07-2009, 05:53 AM
i know, im definitely thankful for that. it seems like a great lens. i'm just going to be doing a LOT of live band photography and the venues tend to have some pretty piss poor light setups, and i'm worried that the stock lens will be seeing nothing but darkness
A 50mm 1.8 on this camera should be a good available light portrait lens, so presuming your not too far off stage and the lighting isn't too atrocious, then you look good to go.

admactanium
06-07-2009, 09:36 AM
you shouldve made a comparison on a 50 mm vs 100mm :P 24mm is just a huge difference :)

One thing i Kinda like on the crop factor is lesser distortion or no vignette.
and of course it sucks when it comes to wide lenses.. we have a few wide lense selection

Well, I figured he had no reference for what a 50mm lens looks like either. So I shot the widest I could get so he could get a sense for my surroundings and how much the 100mm equiv. was zoomed in.

Schmoe
06-08-2009, 04:45 AM
how bad is the crop factor on the 50mm? do you feel like you're having to back way too far up in order to get a shot that's still too close?
Hi Paul. Check out this page http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

Go down to the "Dimensional Field of View Calculator". In the "Focal length multiplier" field, enter 2. Now enter different distances and focal lengths and you can see what sort of field of view you will get on the GH1.