PDA

View Full Version : GH1 for action sport films/documentaries?

seven.b
06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Hello. I looked around and haven't found much on this subject, so I apologize if it's been covered.

Anyway, I shoot action sport short films (skiing, mountain biking, wakeboarding). I currently use the HMC-150 which I'm pretty happy with. But from what I'm seeing, the GH1's image is too great to pass up for such a cheap price. The interchangeable lenses and shallow DOF is also a very nice feature. The form factor is going to really help when I'm hiking in the forest and stuff too.

Anyway, how well do you think this camera will perform for me? Here's an example of the stuff I do.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/80514/

Thanks!

tackleqb
06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Nice footage man! I have a friend that does biking like that. I am sure you can use the GH-1 for what you are doing because most of the footage I saw that you did, you had the camera on a tripod, normally the GH-1 doesn't perform so well with quick pans and movements. For the skiing and a little bit of the wake-boarding you may have a problem. But then again I have seen a lot of footage on Vimeo with quick pans and such and have not seen a problem really. I think a lot of people on this thread like to pick a part every little negative detail of this camera but so far the footage that I have seen looks great so I am definitely going to buy 2 GH-1's for 3 Grand.

The only thing I would suggest is to get a good SDHC card like a SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s Edition High Performance Card - Flash memory card - 32 GB

This is to ensure that the 'mud' that you are seeing on these peoples videos are not due to the low speed on some of these cards.

seven.b
06-06-2009, 05:25 PM
thanks tacklegb. I agree, I was looking around and am having a hard time counting this "mud" problem as a reason not to buy this camera. It's very hard to notice when you aren't looking for it.

Thanks!

tackleqb
06-06-2009, 05:29 PM
and again. the only one who is going to looking for this "mud" if anyone are the kinda geeks on here that have a nack for the kind of Sh*. Not only that but most people on this forum don't even have the camera yet so that right there already takes away mine and there credibility as it is. It's definitely best to buy the camera and test it out for 30 days and if the 'mud' is really an issue then i guess both of us will be getting our money back from panasonic then huh?:beer:

RagdollOp
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I am very interested in this also. I shoot motocross films and am eyeing this camera but do have some concern over the mud issue.

Great video by the way!

Justyn
06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
That is some nice video. I shot a bunch of bike trials back in the day. Was lots of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xsportstv

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the DSLR might give you more trouble in some situations than the 150. The 150, which I also have, is rock solid in these conditions. I'm thinking of this camera for more lock down interviews and to create some stylized looks and that.

I think borrowing a camera might be a good first step and see how it works for you. Cheers and again, nice work on that site.

tackleqb
06-06-2009, 08:12 PM
check out the new berlin carnival footage just posted in the footage forum. There is a lot of pans and whips in that video and the GH-1 holds up beautifully! So I'm gunna say the 'mud' issue maybe a little overestimated