PDA

View Full Version : Flip Out Screen Flips Out?

Coco Bermudez
06-05-2009, 08:33 PM
So it is been a couple of hours since I got the GH1 and I've been reading and playing. One thing that is bothering the heck out of me is the fact that if i have the flip out screen out and I turn the camera pointing upwards, it turns off..weird.

Does anyone have this issue? It seems to me that there are angles that the viewfinder kicks in...strange and annoying....

admactanium
06-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Are you sure you're not getting your hand or other body part near the EVF? If it senses something there it will switch to the EVF automatically because it thinks you're holding it up to your face.

Just checked mine, no problem pointing it straight up with the screen pointed towards me. You must be trying to hold it from below and activating the proximity sensor for the EVF.

Coco Bermudez
06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Aha!...that was it. Is there a way to disable it?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Aha!...that was it. Is there a way to disable it?

You use the "LVF/LCD" button on the camera to control it. (See p.41 & p.33 in the user manual.)

Kholi
06-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Put some tape over the viewfinder sensor and use the LCD/EVF button.

Coco Bermudez
06-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Another question about the LCD....so I go into movie mode per say...I set all my parameters.....I look at the screen and it looks very videoish, but as soon as I hit the record button the screen changes and it looks as if it kicks into 24P mode. I was doing a test at FHD 1920x1080 (It actually looks very good).

Is this because the fps is 60i but the sensor output is 24fps?

Finally, what size is that mic socket. I was trying to jam the Beachtek DXA-5D into it until I realized that it must be a different size stereo plug...I guess I need an adapter? Like 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo?

p.s. by the way, I was taken back by the small size of the camera when I first opened it...but now I am starting to enjoy this little gem...

admactanium
06-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Can't help you on those specific questions. I'd guess the screen refresh rate for the LCD is higher than 24 fps in general, so perhaps you're right in that it's changing the frame rate when you start recording. The size issue is one I'm getting used to. I'm a pretty big guy and I'm used to the size of my Canon 30D. While I prefer the weight of the GH1 it'll take some getting used to especially since the front control dial is actually on the front of the grip rather than on the top like I'm used to now. There are more buttons near my hand than I had on my 30D, but then again there are obviously more functions than that camera has too.

Illya Friedman
06-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Is this because the fps is 60i but the sensor output is 24fps?

No. This is to give you the best possible motion without delay when framing/rehearsing and shooting in low light. Other camera systems out there have 5-6 frame delays between live action and the viewfinder. The GH1 is probably about a frame in this mode.

upshot
06-06-2009, 05:48 AM
Put some tape over the viewfinder sensor and use the LCD/EVF button.
There is a way to make it 'manual' so that it won't flip back and forth automatically. Go to the C-wrench on the left menu and at the bottom you'll see "lvf/lcd auto. set it to off.

Rick Rock
06-08-2009, 06:15 AM
"Finally, what size is that mic socket. I was trying to jam the Beachtek DXA-5D into it until I realized that it must be a different size stereo plug...I guess I need an adapter? Like 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo?"

If that's true, that might actually be a good thing as it'll be natively compatible with more audio devices (wireless receivers, small format mixers, etc.). Also, if you do get it connected, please let me know if the DXA-5D disables the AGC on the GH1 as it was intended to do with the 5Dmkii. I'm hoping it does.

Thanks!

puredrifting
06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
The mic socket on the GH1 is 2.5mm, kind of an odball size.

Dan