PDA

View Full Version : GH1 - DCRP Review

DonalDuc
06-03-2009, 01:12 AM
DCRP Review (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_gh1-review)

---> 720p, 24fps - 74 MB (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_gh1-assets/sample_movie_720p.mov)

---> 1080p, 24fps - 162 MB (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_gh1-assets/sample_movie_1080p.mov)

http://666kb.com/i/b9h8psninivlmfp7t.jpg

commanderspike
06-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Good review from a good site. Always faster to get their reviews out compared to DPReview

The kit lens is indeed a bit softer than the much cheaper 14-15mm G1 kit lens.

Limit on video recording length for Europe? Sometimes I could hang those politicians and tax men with their outdated rules. Just glad I have the NTSC version!

PappasArts
06-03-2009, 01:37 AM
These videos do no justice to the GH1. They look horrible....

DCRP quote: " Both have been run through Final Cut Express, deinterlaced, and saved as H.264 files -- therefore, there may be a drop in quality. "

Oh really, you don't say!

Martti Ekstrand
06-03-2009, 01:38 AM
We blame the French for that regulation.

I'm getting ready to hang reviewers who can't set the camera to a proper shutter speed for moving pictures when shooting test clips. Or at least gut their teddy bears. The background on the panning tram shot is so sharp I could shave myself with it.

Joe Shaw
06-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Limit on video recording length for Europe? Sometimes I could hang those politicians and tax men with their outdated rules. Just glad I have the NTSC version!

Think I may have got double lucky then. Scored my GH1 in Hong Kong. PAL and seemingly no recording limit. Wondered about that, as Phil Bloom had mentioned that it only recorded up to 30mins. But mine has a counter for over an hour on the 8gb card I got with it. Haven't tested it yet, but looks likely it will record until the card is full.

That's a big, big plus for me.

commanderspike
06-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Me too, hour count down with a 8GB card in FHD mode.

Europe model will be crippled to 28 min.

HK model is more expensive than Japanese version but GBP is rising all the time, pass through HK on 22nd June so may pick one up on my way back to the UK and sell my Japanese model if the HK model ends up being the same price, approx. 900.

Actually you can now pick up a Japanese model for 800 due to better currency rate. 158 against the Yen now! Up from 140.

To be honest Japanese menus haven't been a problem for me so far.

Joe Shaw
06-03-2009, 02:32 AM
HK price for me was just under 1000, but it is possible to get for 950. They don't have a lot of stock, so they were less willing to discount.

squig
06-03-2009, 02:48 AM
was that from the shop on stanley st?

Joe Shaw
06-03-2009, 03:41 AM
I believe it was from Fortress on Stanley St. (A relative got it for me).

dacloo
06-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Why would they cripple the Europe model in recording time? Does that make sense?

Martti Ekstrand
06-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Long ago France thought they had a electronics industry that needed protection from the evils of low priced asian competition so they legislated some extra customs taxes for imported goods - the industry is long gone but the taxes remains and they've actually managed to make the whole EU accept them. So, if a device can record more than 30 mins of video it's a camcorder and thus is taxed higher. Similarily if a camcorder has inputs it's a tape deck and thus is taxed higher. Geddit? Nah, me neither.

androoow
06-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Is there no legal way of panasonic importing the PAL version in with the 28min limit to avoid those outdated taxes ( we know how much our MP's are strapped for cash these days !!! ).. then have a firmware update that's downloadable to deactivate the time limit?

The tax law was created long before the internet so isn't something possible? bit like region 2 DVD players having a built in system to change to mulitregion , just had to look on internet to find the codes... that kind of thing

Martti Ekstrand
06-03-2009, 06:09 AM
You can get one from Hong Kong that apparently don't have the 29 min restriction.

There's was a little grass roots industry beginning with Sony VX1000E, hacking it and later PAL DV camcorders models to enable input.

AdrianF
06-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Technically speaking only the camera records the video, not the lenses. So is this tax imposed on the kit lens "package" or is it simply on the body. If it is the body that is taxed then the extra 5% equates to about 30/40 euros on the price. Big deal. Maybe it doesn't work quite like this, but that seems to make sense to me.

cjwolff
06-03-2009, 01:30 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure whether it's the footage or my computer's lack of display acumen, but the stuttering and the streetcar footage is nauseating.