PDA

View Full Version : Is there a hardware accelerator for AVCHD or h.264 editing?

Nik Manning
06-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I know that elgato has Turbo264hd h.264 converter but is there any info on accelerators for editing GH1/Canon 5D/H.264 footage? Seems we need something the opposite of Turbo264HD to take us out of the compressed format.

thedarkhorse
06-03-2009, 12:34 AM
I doubt it, right now it's kind of an obscure market. However if you can play the footage through HDMI out of the camera you could use an HDMI capture card and capture in real time to the codec of your choice.

commanderspike
06-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I would like to find a way to speed up AVCHD editing too, don't want to dump an otherwise perfectly good Macbook Pro.

Can't even playback clips in FCP without it stalling. Maybe I need to change the buffer or memory settings?

Barry_Green
06-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Premiere Pro CS4.1 appears to tap into the graphics card to accelerate AVCHD. It can play back realtime on my Lenovo laptop.

If you want to stick with FCP, let's cross our fingers and hope that the much-rumored FCS3 upgrade will have some sort of hardware acceleration as well.

Nitsuj
06-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Premiere Pro CS4.1 appears to tap into the graphics card to accelerate AVCHD. It can play back realtime on my Lenovo laptop.

If you want to stick with FCP, let's cross our fingers and hope that the much-rumored FCS3 upgrade will have some sort of hardware acceleration as well.

Hmmm... I wonder how well the Mac version of CS4 runs.

Zacatac
06-03-2009, 09:58 AM
as for CS4 on a last generation mac book pro... The 4.1 update has done alot for avchd editing.. now on my mac... it will play smoothly for a few seconds then stutter but you can actually edit avchd without it freezing or crashing

commanderspike
06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Actually, my playback and editing experience improved to almost seamless when I chose to Log & Transfer my raw AVCHD footage from the GH1 to Apple Intermediate Codec rather than Apple Pro Res (HQ).

Am I right in thinking... you don't actually edit AVCHD at all... it converts it to an editing format like Apple Intermediate Codec?

Nitsuj
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
as for CS4 on a last generation mac book pro... The 4.1 update has done alot for avchd editing.. now on my mac... it will play smoothly for a few seconds then stutter but you can actually edit avchd without it freezing or crashing

Sweet thanks dood.

Nitsuj
06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Actually, my playback and editing experience improved to almost seamless when I chose to Log & Transfer my raw AVCHD footage from the GH1 to Apple Intermediate Codec rather than Apple Pro Res (HQ).

Am I right in thinking... you don't actually edit AVCHD at all... it converts it to an editing format like Apple Intermediate Codec?

It might be safe to think of AVCHD in film terms as the negative.

Ooze3d
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
AVCHD is not an editing codec. Why not use NeoScene for capturing and pulldown removal to end up with a NLE friendly AVI or MOV file instead of considering a piece of hardware to make AVCHD go faster?

jamesc
06-03-2009, 01:25 PM

I have CS4.1 for Mac on a 2006 Mac Pro. Basic editing works very well.

Nik Manning
06-06-2009, 02:31 AM
AVCHD is not an editing codec. Why not use NeoScene for capturing and pulldown removal to end up with a NLE friendly AVI or MOV file instead of considering a piece of hardware to make AVCHD go faster?
Because you still have to encode to the new format.

Paul Johnson
06-07-2009, 07:11 PM
This new hardware device looks like a promising solution to the problem - Matrox MX02 mini:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/

Looks to be much cheaper and more efficient than buying a new quad-core PC. And it appears to offer other useful benefits. Unfortunately for me it doesn't yet work with Vegas Pro, but they're working on making it happen. Currently just Adobe on the PC and FCP on Mac.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-07-2009, 08:52 PM
This new hardware device looks like a promising solution to the problem - Matrox MX02 mini:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/

The Black Magic Intensity card is far less expensive ($199 US):
http://www.decklink.com/products/intensity/

... but I have no idea if these Matrox or BM products are compatible yet with video output from a GH1, regrets.

divide
06-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Actually... I've been working for 5 months on a GPU Decoder plugin for NLEs (http://www.divideframe.com).
It works with AVCHD (+5DMKii files), and will be released in 2 weeks.

AdrianF
06-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Actually... I've been working for 5 months on a GPU Decoder plugin for NLEs.
It works with AVCHD (+5DMKii files), and will be released in 2 weeks.
Mortel. So can you tell us a little more about this? Will it be cross platform or just a Vegas based workflow?

divide
06-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Unfortunately not cross platform, there are technicals issues doing this on mac/linux, so this is windows only.
It will be first available for Vegas, then Premiere and Edius. Also MediaComposer if I can get in touch with them.

David Jimerson
06-08-2009, 05:36 AM

GPU acceleration in Premiere is Windows-only.

AdrianF
06-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Unfortunately not cross platform, there are technicals issues doing this on mac/linux, so this is windows only.
It will be first available for Vegas, then Premiere and Edius. Also MediaComposer if I can get in touch with them.
Ahh, okay. If you do manage to get over the technical issues on Mac, then I think you will have a lot of interested people. Good luck with the project!

divide
06-08-2009, 07:07 AM
David: are you sure GPU acceleration in Premiere is used for decoding, not just only for filtering ?