PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Barry

jameswmulryan
06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
OK. My mission is to convert Barry to Mac...to become a born again macophile.
Any suggestions?

Barry_Green
06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm just ahead of my time. Apple will come around. :evil:

jameswmulryan
06-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Wherever you are I am with you.

Jan_Crittenden
06-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Get Apple to make the Mac act like a PC and I am sure he will convert. ;-)

Richard J. Johnson
06-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Get Apple to make the Mac act like a PC and I am sure he will convert. ;-)

LOL. My mac is already there.

LeeLove
06-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Jan, please I don't wish that on anyone. :) I was a long time PC user in fact I was even an early IBM PC dealer back in the 80's. But 4 years ago (when Vista starting being released) I decided I had enough of MS and the Windows nonsense.

So after a couple of months of research, looking what applications I used and what Apple had to offer I bought a Mac. Now 4 years later all of my desktops are Macs and I couldn't be happier. This honestly is the best decision I have made and do not regret it one bit.

I could go through all of the typical reasons you see people post but the bottom line is it just works and is a much more integrated approach than buying hardware from one company and software from another.

Jan_Crittenden
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Did you see the smiley face. It was a joke. Frankly thos of us that are die-hard PC folks find the MAC interface as confusing as the MAC users find the PC interface. Please let's not turn this into a PC MAC debate, I just don't forsee Barry ever becoming a die-hard MAC person, it isn't the way he thinks. Not saying it doesn't work for you.

Thanks,

Jan

David Saraceno
06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
There's hope for Barry.

Deep in his heart he is really a Mac follower.

:)

Barry_Green
06-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Nah, that's exactly the problem. I don't "follow" anyone. :thumbsup:

Al MacLeod
06-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Perhaps if one of the Mac folks was to give Barry a Mac, a 8 core loaded with memory and that new led monitor he might consider it.

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
It's a tool, like a hammer is a tool. There are a lot of different kinds of hammers (roofing hammers, framing hammers, finish hammers, etc) they all do the same task and can be used interchangeably. They were each created to address a particular need, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the others do the job just as well.

I actually prefer a framing hammer regardless of whether I'm framing, roofing, or hanging pictures in the hallway. I prefer the weight and balance of that hammer over any others. But that doesn't mean every one else has to use a framing hammer for everything, they may find they prefer a roofing hammer for everything.

They are just tools, find the one that works for you and then use it.

Just my $0.01 3/10 (used to be 9/10, but adjusting for the economy :grin: )

Barry_Green
06-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Perhaps if one of the Mac folks was to give Barry a Mac, a 8 core loaded with memory and that new led monitor he might consider it.
Got one. iMac 20". I never use it, it's corporate, David uses it. :D

Dave Nelson
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Nah, that's exactly the problem. I don't "follow" anyone. :thumbsup:

I'm going to get flamed for stepping in here in defence of Barry but here it goes.

The problem with many Mac users is that they don't know what they are missing. Most Mac users suffer from a kind of tunnel vision, and follow the leader (sometimes blindly) and criticize PC users and PCs but have never used one. This behavior smacks of arrogance, and puppets the "Mac users are smart and PC users are dum" rhetoric promoted by the "20 somethings" working in advertising and marketing at Apple. If a Mac user is asked why Apple has done so poorly in the PC market over the last 25 years, with less than 10 percent market share, the typical response goes something like, "well.. Mac users are the smartest 10 percent. PC users simply have a limited intellect, and can't comprehend the superior nature of the Mac."

I use both and have since the Apple Lisa (predates the Mac), circa 1983. Before that time I used a Seattle DOS S100 Bus computer and also used the Apple 2 and later the Apple 3.

But I have actually been using bigger Main Frame computers (bigger, what a laugh now), DEC VAX and PDP systems as well as the Sun 1 and other BSD and UNIX systems since the mid 70s.

My first Mac was 128k with one floppy drive. I have actually used Macs since before some of the posters here were born, though most here are older than 25.

In all these years I have always owned a Mac, and continued to use Macs from time to time but they have always had limited usefulness in business due to the darth of available software applications. Macs have always been overpriced too.

I used the Mac in the early days because of Pagemaker DTP software and the Apple Laserwriter. Good Stuff at the time (I was in the publishing business). But since then and with the introduction of Windows 3.0 in the late 80s, most Mac software migrated to the PC, and from then on, shipped for the PC first, with a few rare exceptions. And the Mac versions of PC software were always released later. For the most part, that is still true today.

Adobe Premiere used to be on the Mac but Adobe pulled it because the market was small and Apple aggressively promoted their new acquisition which later became known as Final Cut Pro. It was probably a mistake for Adobe to drop Premiere on the Mac, and they have recently made the decision to support the Mac once again.

I also have FCS 2.0 and do use it from time to time, primarily when we need to work with a customer's works in progress. There are some things I like better about FCS, but in general, I prefer Premiere or Edius.

And all this does not touch on the issue of the wealth of free software, and video applications for the PC that simply are not available for the Mac. The list is far too long to go into here.

In my office (I own a small business) there are 14 PCs and 2 Macs. And the funny thing is that since I am a PC user first, I know that I couldn't get along without PCs. And I know this because I am also an experienced Mac user for over 24 years. So I know why I couldn't get by without PCs but I could easily get by without my Macs. This is a harsh reality that most Mac users can't understand and won't accept.

Many Mac users DO seem to follow their fearless leader and usually don't drift away from Apple without permission unless they get desparate because they can't find a software package that they absolutely need.

Anyway, I thought I would help out since the Mac followers here have chosen to beat up on him (Barry) a bit (most lovingly, and in jest to be sure). If they really used PCs for business (and some do), they might feel differently.

I know I'll get beat up for this statement, but most Mac users just don't know any better or they would be PC users.

This message was written on a PC sitting right next to my Mac.

--Dave

p.s. Bring on the flames, but remember that I am a Mac user who may simply have a different view than you do!

accelv
06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
The all-time best PC for video was the .......................AMIGA!