PDA

View Full Version : Got my GH1, first impressions

commanderspike
05-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I'll try not to repeat other discussions too much here, but thought I'd give you my penny's worth...

Lens: was worried that the build quality and zoom ring would be poor (zoom is sticky on the G1 14-45), but the GH1 14-140mm is a fantastic piece of kit. They've changed the zoom so it's much smoother and has more torque, you can actually do some incredibly smooth zoom actions with it. Oh and the lens locks into place on the camera much more solidly than the G1 kit lens, which by the way I am getting the occasional lens fixing error popping up with after 6 months of use.

Low light: the video preview live view is quite noisy but most of that disappears while recording. A slower shutter (mine goes down to 1/30), at 24p F4 at ISO 1600 is very bright with very little fine grain, but the grain tends to be in a fixed pattern across the sensor, you can almost see the read-out of the digital info, with the noise slightly more the further down the sensor things get.

Japanese menus: I don't worry about this now, although there are a few options which do not have an icon and only text, which I will need to figure out from the English manual I downloaded.

Movie mode on the dial: you don't have to be in this mode to shoot a movie but I puts the camera in video live view mode, with the continuous iris operating.

AVCHD playback: playing ad hoc the unprocessed files on my Macbook is currently a challenge. Playback in editing software not a problem, playback in a media player is hell. Even the latest nightly build of VLC player does not work properly. Any recommendations?

Orchidthief
05-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Sweet Commander. Thanks for the input. Are you happy with the purchase? I'm in the air for either a 5D or GH. Haven't made the final decision yet.

Illya Friedman
05-29-2009, 09:29 PM
PS3 Playback is flawless. I high recommend it for this purpose. Copy MTS files to thumbdrive and rock and roll.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

commanderspike
05-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I really could do with a way to preview files quickly on my laptop before importing them into Final Cut Pro. VLC Player usual handles anything... not this time!

Some other observations:

- Low light performance seems much better in full HD 1080 24p mode than in 60i 720p, maybe due to frame rate / shutter speed
- AVCHD is a highly compressed format. Just 90MB per minute for Full HD at 17mps.
- Auto focus in video mode seems dispassionately slow at long end of zoom or in anything other than bright outdoor light.
- Seems they've changed the white balance to be more 'Canon' like under indoor lighting, it mimics warm tones rather than attempting to be as close to white as possible. The G1 auto-WB actually did a better job than the GH1 under my lighting here, not sure if I have strange lights or if this is a problem with the GH1. Was able to get it spot on with the custom preset but not under auto.

Illya Friedman
05-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah VLC can't hang with AVCHD.

I like that the GH1 allows you the ability to manually dial in your WB with actual Kelvin temperature numbers, rather than just using the little icons of sun and lightbulb..etc.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

AdrianF
05-30-2009, 01:36 AM
I really could do with a way to preview files quickly on my laptop before importing them into Final Cut Pro. VLC Player usual handles anything... not this time!

Have you seen the Voltaic HD workflow threads? If you look on the Voltaic HD page, there are also a couple of sister apps for previewing and importing in an iPhoto kind of style. Could be good.

Martti Ekstrand
05-30-2009, 01:59 AM
PS3 Playback is flawless. I high recommend it for this purpose. Copy MTS files to thumbdrive and rock and roll.

Thanks for this bit of info, I'll love to tell my auditor that that PS3 I'm now gonna buy on my company is for viewing footage :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

commanderspike
05-30-2009, 02:33 AM
iMovie is good for previewing AVCHD on the memory card, but does not playback full screen, the window is quite small and the memory card often too slow for uninterrupted playback. I will see if a faster 150x card improves matters.

saaby
05-30-2009, 10:58 AM
...the memory card often too slow for uninterrupted playback. I will see if a faster 150x card improves matters.

This is a question, not a statement:

That doesn't seem right...as far as I know, the read speed is usually faster on these cards than the write speed, so if it was fast enough to have the video written to it, it seems like it should be fast enough to have video read off of it...but maybe I'm missing something? Maybe it's because the computer is trying to read multiple things off the card? Any idea?

Kholi
05-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Some other observations:

- Low light performance seems much better in full HD 1080 24p mode than in 60i 720p, maybe due to frame rate / shutter speed
- AVCHD is a highly compressed format. Just 90MB per minute for Full HD at 17mps.
- Auto focus in video mode seems dispassionately slow at long end of zoom or in anything other than bright outdoor light.
- Seems they've changed the white balance to be more 'Canon' like under indoor lighting, it mimics warm tones rather than attempting to be as close to white as possible. The G1 auto-WB actually did a better job than the GH1 under my lighting here, not sure if I have strange lights or if this is a problem with the GH1. Was able to get it spot on with the custom preset but not under auto.

There's no 60i 720p. It's 720/60P. What do you mean lowlight performance? Noise and grain or that it's faster in 1080 than 720. I didn't notice that but that's interesting. Wonder why that may be.

dmoreno
05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
There's no 60i 720p. It's 720/60P. What do you mean lowlight performance? Noise and grain or that it's faster in 1080 than 720. I didn't notice that but that's interesting. Wonder why that may be.

That may happen in the auto modes. Shutter can be automatically lowered to 1/24 in 24p mode while it can only be lowered to 1/60 in 60p mode (at least that's how my HV30 works when in Av or auto mode). This gives the 24p mode a better lowlight ability.
We now know, thanks to the testing done by the lucky ones that have the GH1 already, that 60p can be used with shutters lower than 1/60 in the manual modes (increasing lowlight capability), but results in image containing 30 fps or less.

commanderspike
05-30-2009, 01:01 PM
The shutter speed only goes as far as 30 in 1080 24p mode on my GH1, and then upwards in increments of 10. I find that strange as you'd think it'd go to 24.

I've shot a lot of extreme low light footage at both full HD and 720p 60p in Taipei over the last day or so, will attempt to make sense of it in more detail and upload some videos here.

Obviously one of the good things about this camera is that although ISO 1600 is too grainy and ISO 800 at F4 is a little too dark for extreme low light shooting, you can simply pop on faster glass to solve this issue... at a cost!

Orchidthief
05-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Interesting information Commander. Please post your test footage when able. Looking forward to it.

timbook2
05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
latest VLC on my macbook works fine!

very interested to find out if there will be differences in the PAL versions!!!

Still looking for a c-mount adapter....and waiting for mine to appear in a shop nearby.

squig
05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
there's some c-mount adapters on ebay

commanderspike
05-30-2009, 10:01 PM
A few other observations...

- Main shutter button rather than video button can be used to start / stop video recording and a half-press actions the very quick stills mode AF during recording. Useful when the continuous video AF struggles.

- Have 3 or 4 different types of lights in my flat, will try to find out what the name is for the type of lighting that confuses the hell out of my GH1's auto WB but not my G1's.

- The G1 kit lens (14-45mm) is useless with the GH1. No AF, no stills AF override during recording, no continuous iris and the zoom ring is about as smooth as sand paper. Not tried the 14-200mm yet but that will be on eBay shortly as the 140mm is more than long enough for my liking.

Will try the latest VLC player later, I've tried the 1.0.0 RC and current 0.9.

Emanuel
05-30-2009, 10:53 PM
More finds for autofocus or do you stand your initial impressions?

Illya Friedman
05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks for this bit of info, I'll love to tell my auditor that that PS3 I'm now gonna buy on my company is for viewing footage :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

My buddy does a lot of work for a high speed camera company. He wrote of 2 rifles and 3x dozen coconuts last year. All were legitimate business expenses.

The PS3 uses cell processors and is a very capable Linux box, you should have no problem writing it off.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

Illya Friedman
05-31-2009, 12:51 AM
- The G1 kit lens (14-45mm) is useless with the GH1. No AF, no stills AF override during recording, no continuous iris and the zoom ring is about as smooth as sand paper.

About 2.5 weeks ago I did a camera test where we used the 14-45 pretty extensively. You are correct, no AF during recording- but you still can use AF to push to focus (AFC) in some situations. You're right about the zoom ring...

On the plus side, this is a super lightweight low-profile lens. If you had to steal a shot somewhere, this lens might be the best choice for not attracting attention.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

Illya Friedman
05-31-2009, 01:06 AM
Glad my NDA has elapsed, and I can finally talk about some details from a job from early May.

... grain tends to be in a fixed pattern across the sensor, you can almost see the read-out of the digital info, with the noise slightly more the further down the sensor things get.

I just wanted to echo this. There's definitely some FPN depending on the shooting situation ISO above 500 brings it on a lot stronger than lower ISO settings.

I also noticed that ISO settings 500 and beyond tend to be underrated as far as the actual speed goes. I really think that 640 is 1200, 800/1000 are both about 2000 and 1600 is actually is 3200. Personally, I think these high ISOs should probably not be used if you are planning on going out to a big screen. However, if it's a home movie or for the web- have fun.

The "painters palette" setting is a trip. Unusable for anything not home-movie styled, but an unreal level viewing into darkness without obviously slowing down shutter or frame rate.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

squig
05-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Interesting, so when you say that 640 is like 1200 are you talking about the amount of light it lets in or noise or both?
And are you comparing the ISO settings to any particular camera?

Illya Friedman
05-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Light levels in camera vs. my light meter. It could be just this one camera, we didn't have a second handy at the time, so no way to tell if it's a fluke or all the cameras are like this.

Lower ISO settings (100-400) seem to track pretty accurately.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

GregGory
05-31-2009, 03:17 AM
The ISOs are indeed underrated on the G1. dxomark.com did a test based on RAW data and bypassing the camera shutter to calculate the effective ISO. What they found (for stills)

Nominal >< Effective

100 = 129
200 = 266
400 = 540
800 = 1117
1600 = 2083
3200 = 4055

Seems like the GH1 is carrying on this 'tradition'.

GregGory
05-31-2009, 03:20 AM
- The G1 kit lens (14-45mm) is useless with the GH1. No AF, no stills AF override during recording, no continuous iris and the zoom ring is about as smooth as sand paper. Not tried the 14-200mm yet but that will be on eBay shortly as the 140mm is more than long enough for my liking.

Have you done the FW update??

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/FS014045.html

MatzeB
05-31-2009, 05:39 AM
At ISO 1600 I get a vertical line pattern in the green channel. It strongly depends on the lighting. Worst case seems to be green underexposed uniform areas. Highlights and blacks are clean.
I wonder if it's possible to slightly blur the green channel horizontally only in the lower midtones?
Any cmos experts here? Why is the pattern vertical?

That said - awesome camera. Manual control rocks. There's no way back.
Low light is good. Size and weight is unbelievable.
http://www.vimeo.com/4922177

BrianMurphy
05-31-2009, 06:21 AM
If you just waqnt to screen your footage on an HD TV this WD media player works fine for the AVCHD footage from my HMC150 so it would work for the GH1.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=572

commanderspike
05-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Spent a full day with my GH1 today (and reluctant girlfriend), shooting in daylight the goings on in a market town in Taiwan, shot mostly in full HD 24p at ISO 100 in manual mode, and in ISO 800 at night.

Don't want to be too negative, but there are some flies in the ointment.

The codec turning to mud, corrupting any detail on fast pans is well documented previously but it's a lot worse than I thought. My Canon HF100 records AVCHD at 17mbps too and doesn't do it. Why does my GH1?

Documentary style handheld work is a no-no with this camera.

Samples to come.

Nitsuj
05-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Spent a full day with my GH1 today (and reluctant girlfriend), shooting in daylight the goings on in a market town in Taiwan, shot mostly in full HD 24p at ISO 100 in manual mode, and in ISO 800 at night.

Don't want to be too negative, but there are some flies in the ointment.

The codec turning to mud, corrupting any detail on fast pans is well documented previously but it's a lot worse than I thought. My Canon HF100 records AVCHD at 17mbps too and doesn't do it. Why does my GH1?

Samples to come.

Hmmm I am interested to see this.

dcloud
05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
it has been discussed before, its the gh1's processor not the codec.

commanderspike
05-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Indeed.

Firmware update should fix it.

In the mean time I'll do a comparison between the GH1, 5DM2 and HF100 to show how the problem compares to the competition.

It's pretty bad really... otherwise got some great footage from it. Just processing it and deinterlacing it, then I'll upload.

Abstract Photog
05-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Indeed.

Firmware update should fix it.

In the mean time I'll do a comparison between the GH1, 5DM2 and HF100 to show how the problem compares to the competition.

It's pretty bad really... otherwise got some great footage from it. Just processing it and deinterlacing it, then I'll upload.

are you referring to these issues in 1080/24p or 720/60p? or both?
from what iv seen so far it seems 720 works well for hand held and motion

John Caballero
05-31-2009, 10:16 AM

Its obvious. You have to stabilize properly like any other camera.

Two very important points on the list of what to do: Stabilize your camera properly and do slow, well planned pans. That part is simple.

Emanuel
05-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Yes, remember this is a cinema camera :-)

Jim Klatt
05-31-2009, 01:14 PM

That sucks big time if it's true. I need a dslr sometime in the very near future to be able to handle doc handheld work. Otherwise, their unobtrusive powers and charm are diminished mightily.

John Caballero
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
That sucks big time if it's true.

Take a look around at some of the samples already out.It is very obvious that it can be done. I don't know why people's statements after a few hours with the camera are taken so seriously. It has nothing to do with your opinion as it is with sample work. THE NUMBER ONE RULE IS DON'T START CRAZILY PANNING WITH THIS CAMERA OR ANY OTHER CAMERA TO PROVE A POINT. We don't need to be reminded constantly about its shortcomings because all cameras, including the Red One, have then. We need to work hard and come out with information that help everybody make it look better thru intelligent solutions. Don't ever take anybody's conclusions as a final verdict. If you are seriously working in this business, pro or amateur, you have to take the camera in your hands, test it yourself and come to your very own conclusions.

squig
05-31-2009, 02:04 PM
It's a known issue that the codec breaks under movement @1080 so try 720p.

AdrianF
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
What John said ^^! It's pretty common sense really, if you look around at some of the footage already out there that has been shot by people who know what they are doing, it looks perfectly usable ( with some minor caveats ) for documentary use, one of a few things I think this camera will be particularly suited to.

Boz
05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
What good is a MOTION camera if you can't MOVE it? Heh. That being said, it's a lot like the HV20, you can get a LOT out of it if you work within it's limitations.

John Caballero
05-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Of course you can move it. It is how well you are able to move it. It will take extra skill to get the best movement out of it and I am sure it is doable.

Boz
05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
My point was that it's sort of ironic that lots of motion is ultimately the down fall of a motion picture camera. Yeah, I know it's a hybrid, but you get my point.

So, it comes down to this. Either get the GH1 and be handicapped by it's 24P mode; spend an extra $1200 or so and get a 5Dii (caveat: if it gets a 24P upgrade); or wait for something else like the Nikon D400 or Canon 60D. Decisions decisions...

squig
05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
what's everybody going on about? this thing is great for motion- http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/4755111

:D

BrianMurphy
05-31-2009, 02:57 PM
I haven't got mine yet, hopefully in the next ten days. But "swish pans" have never been a big part of my repertoire and other than forced situations I wonder ...Why bother? But then each to his/her own.

squig
05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
So, it comes down to this. Either get the GH1 and be handicapped by it's 24P mode; spend an extra $1200 or so and get a 5Dii (caveat: if it gets a 24P upgrade); or wait for something else like the Nikon D400 or Canon 60D. Decisions decisions...

hehe tell me about it. Canon really threw a spanner in the works with manual control. If the 24p hack was ready it would be a no brainer. The funny thing is I'm missing the look of the D90. The GH1 strikes me as just a plaything not something you would marry.

Boz
05-31-2009, 03:18 PM
what's everybody going on about? this thing is great for motion- http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/4755111

:D

lol Uhhh yeah, I saw that. Perhaps the most useless "test" ever.

I wish it was just 'swish' pans that were the problem. However even a medium speed pan over anything detailed just completely falls apart. It's still a little puzzling to me how Panasonic could find this in any way acceptable; and released it that way. You'd think they'd want to at least measure up to a low-end camcorder in this area. Of course had they given us MJPEG 720-24P that would have been good enough for me.

I really don't want to plunk down an extra $1200 so I can get a camera that I can pan with confidence. So, now it's a race between Panasonic upgrading the GH1 or the release of Canon's 60D or Nikon's 400D. The winner gets my $$$!

squig
05-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Since I got the D90 all I've wanted is something with 720p 24p mjpeg with a constant bit-rate of around 50Mbps and manual control. Is that so much to ask for? I can't wait for the new nikon or canon so I have to buy one of the available options this week although I may not be keeping it very long. I'm even considering buying another D90.

John Caballero
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Again, panning properly won't be a problem. "swish pans" ARE THE PROBLEM.

sunburst
05-31-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll do a comparison between the GH1, 5DM2

Yes this is what I'm waiting for!

Please include moving shots: [dolly / tracking ]. Jello ruins these on the HV20.

Also various pan, tilt speeds. Also focus on the run tests. 1080/24p

How much footage is ruined by soft focus on Canon?

thanks

Nitsuj
05-31-2009, 05:53 PM
I can't wait to see what the opinions will be like 6 months from now. This forum will put John Kerry's flip flopping to shame. ;)

anthonybsd
05-31-2009, 06:00 PM
I can't wait to see what the opinions will be like 6 months from now. This forum will put John Kerry's flip flopping to shame. ;)
He never flip flopped. He just invented the Intertubez. Hater..

Nighthawk
05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
I haven't got mine yet, hopefully in the next ten days.

Brian, do you know something from Vistek I don't know? My palms just started sweating.

As stated earlier we who are getting this camera just have to try and shoot within the camera's limits to begin with and hope an update is in the works.

Boz
05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Again, panning properly won't be a problem. "swish pans" ARE THE PROBLEM.

Sometimes a faster pan IS PROPER. Or shaky cam, or whatever. Being limited to slow movements and pans is just as bad as not being able to move the D90 because of "Jello". This is why I'm jonesing to see Kholi's action short. That will either sell it or reveal the true horror of GH1's codec. :)

squig
05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
By the time Kholi presents we'll all be shooting with a GH8, rumor has it they will have global shutters and nano stabilization.

My vintage miller sticks just arrived......can't fast pan with this baby with it's smooth fluid drag. the dude threw in spreaders and dolly for $50....stoked! There's always the steadytracker for crazy pans. I pulled off some nice ones with the D90....totally fluked but nice.

Kholi
06-01-2009, 01:23 AM
By the time Kholi presents we'll all be shooting with a GH8, rumor has it they will have global shutters and nano stabilization.

I think you meant you'll be still sitting on a fence deciding which one to buy when a GH8 comes out.

=B

Illya Friedman
06-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Sometimes a faster pan IS PROPER. Or shaky cam, or whatever.

I've been working with some people who've been experimenting with what exactly you can get away with moving the GH1, the short answer is a lot! This is for a Bourne Identity style fight scene!

You have to pick your swish angles/shots in advance. The worst thing you can do is random prolonged swish-pans on long(er) lenses. Chances are in post, you won't be freeze-framing on a swish pan. Who shoots that way?

If you're shooting lots of handheld on the GH1: Keep OIS off, turn off "intelligent ISO" don't shoot in "M" mode- it's not 100% manual. Use the movie camera icon mode (and no other with lot's of hand held on the kit lens)- stay wider- keep a (more or less) in-focus foreground subject, if appropriate. Remember, this kind of shooting with any camera gets ugly/tiring real fast. For close-ups, get closer on a wider lens. Most of these shot will (and should be) short. The ergonomics of a (D)SLR was designed for snapshots not full motion. You have to retrain your operating style a bit, or use the appropraite hand held system to make the camera feel like another piece of gear.

I think the real problems is that the in-camera 3:2 telecine just plain sux. It doesn't help confidence when you review takes. This is getting removed anyway, you just have to see it when you review which really blows. The number one thing Panasonic can do to improve the camera is offer 1920x1080 24PN mode. The number two thing is a live monitor output.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

BrianMurphy
06-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Brian, do you know something from Vistek I don't know? My palms just started sweating.

As stated earlier we who are getting this camera just have to try and shoot within the camera's limits to begin with and hope an update is in the works.

I haven't heard NightHawk. I spoke with them last week and there was still no news. I really hope it comes through. I leave for a shoot in Barbados in two weeks and would really like to have it for specific shots. It would also be a good comparison test against the HMC 150 I am shooting with. Will pm you the minute I hear anything.

QUOTE=Illya Friedman;1651952]I've been working with some people who've been experimenting with what exactly y You have to retrain your operating style a bit, or use the appropraite hand held system to make the camera feel like another piece of gear.

This is certainly going to be quite a task and I sincerely believe operating with this camera will require each to adapt and find the right system to mount the camera. Many out there right now to choose from, but having made the transition from the iki you see to the left under my name to a DVX100 and now an HMC150 took a while. I still rarely operate handheld without rails and handles and with the HMC150 being lighter it took getting used to.Though I must admit when I throw it on the flowpod I am very happy and the GH1 will be even better for handheld stabilizers. Just for the fun of it I tried my CoolPix 5700 in movie mode for a few minutes yesterday began looking at the CInevate and Redrock sites.

Brian

AdrianF
06-01-2009, 03:56 AM
I think the real problems is that the in-camera 3:2 telecine just plain sux. It doesn't help confidence when you review takes. This is getting removed anyway, you just have to see it when you review which really blows. The number one thing Panasonic can do to improve the camera is offer 1920x1080 24PN mode. The number two thing is a live monitor output.

Have you played back from the card in camera and out over hdmi onto a monitor? I was thinking that an hdmi capture to prores or cineform might be a possible workflow solution, but if the playback is screwy, then maybe not

Boz
06-01-2009, 10:05 AM
I've been working with some people who've been experimenting with what exactly you can get away with moving the GH1, the short answer is a lot! This is for a Bourne Identity style fight scene!

Could you please, please, post a few examples? I've yet to see any "action" or any sort of quick motion on the GH1 that isn't a terrible mess. Trust me, I want to be proved wrong!

Agreed. Or at the very least, 720-24P MJPEG mode.

commanderspike
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
A few more observations as I get used to experimenting with my GH1:

- Low light video performance is better in AUTO or Programme mode than in manual mode. At F4 (wide open for the kit lens), and the shutter speed set at 1/30 (minimum in manual mode) the video is 2 stops less bright than in auto at the same ISO as long as you push the exposure compensation in auto mode all the way up the brightness scale.

- G1 kit lens firmware update makes no difference in FHD mode. AF available in 720p only with the 14-45... very odd.

Kholi
06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
A few more observations as I get used to experimenting with my GH1:

- Low light video performance is better in AUTO or Programme mode than in manual mode. At F4 (wide open for the kit lens), and the shutter speed set at 1/30 (minimum in manual mode) the video is 2 stops less bright than in auto at the same ISO as long as you push the exposure compensation in auto mode all the way up the brightness scale.

- G1 kit lens firmware update makes no difference in FHD mode. AF available in 720p only with the 14-45... very odd.

Can you switch the ISO in Auto? I thought you couldn't. And, I think that the Auto pushes the ISO beyond 1600. which might be why. But don't mistake that for "lowlight performance".

Lowlight performance is also based on luma and chroma noise, along with range retention, etc.

stav1606
06-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I am not sure if this is the proper thread, but what is this terrible vertical banding especially in the whites???

http://www.vimeo.com/4941594

Kholi
06-01-2009, 06:48 PM
High ISO shows that. It's weird because I get the same thing on the MKii, just to a lesser extent. I wonder why?

Illya Friedman
06-02-2009, 01:06 AM
I am not sure if this is the proper thread, but what is this terrible vertical banding especially in the whites???

http://www.vimeo.com/4941594

In the background? That looked like from the projection system. It's an ugly video. Personally, unless it's for web or small screen only, I probably won't be shooting above 500 iso (which is really quite a bit higher). I've notice quite a bit of FPN at higher ISOs.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

Illya Friedman
06-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Could you please, please, post a few examples? I've yet to see any "action" or any sort of quick motion on the GH1 that isn't a terrible mess. Trust me, I want to be proved wrong!

Would love to, I can't because I'm not the rightsholder to the footage. I could only start talking about it publicly a couple days ago. If I can get permission I will!

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras