PDA

View Full Version : Lens Recommendations

iancarleton
05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey again gang,

So im getting a 5D this weekend, and was looking for advice on lens choices. Have you guys had any problems using Nikon primes with a converter?

What's your favorite glass to use? Has anyone thought of getting / is anyone shooting with a set of MF primes for doing video work, and then an AF zoom for photo, or is that just absurd?

Thanks in advance

Daniel L.
05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I would suggest you look at EF mount glass. After the firmware update next week it should work just fine and you will get the benefits of having the native lens and compatible electronics with no need for an adapter. However, if possible I also suggest you wait before buying a lens to see how the update really works.

My favorites are Canon primes at 24mm, 35mm, 85mm, 135mm. Usually just use 2 or 3 in actual production. I only use zooms for photography.

ftbt
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Have you guys had any problems using Nikon primes with a converter?

"Generally speaking" you should be OK with Nikon AI and AIS manual primes. Personally, I am using a Zeiss ZF 28/2.0 with a Nikon to EOS converter and a Contax Zeiss 35-70/3.4 with a Contax to EOS converter. No complaints! I don't even have a Canon lens. (However that may change after the new firmware is released.)

Digigenic
05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
For walk around zooms, I've eyed the Canon 17-40L f4, the new Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM DG (reportedly better than the Canon equivalent), and the ever so loved Canon 70-200L f4.
Primes I'm looking at are the Bower 85 f1.4 manual focus for EOS mount (seen/heard great things from folks with the nikon mount version), and 135L f2.
I still don't know what to get for macro, but leaning towards a Canon 100 f2.8.

thekreative
05-29-2009, 01:20 PM
I use a set of 5 contax primes for video and 24-70 / 17-35 L for photos / video
For video you use manual focus and the Contax/ Zeiss are so cheap compared to the EF of the same speed, plus the adapters have AF confirm for still shooting.

Kholi
05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I use a set of 5 contax primes for video and 24-70 / 17-35 L for photos / video
For video you use manual focus and the Contax/ Zeiss are so cheap compared to the EF of the same speed, plus the adapters have AF confirm for still shooting.

Yeah buddy! Not to mention the Contax Zeiss line-up produces incredible results on all levels.

Most of the C/Y Zeiss set is legendary and still outperforms the competition to this day.

My current Setup is:

Sigma 20/1.8, Sigma 24/1.8, Sigma 28/1.8
Contax Zeiss 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.5, 135/2.8, 180/2.8 and my favorite the 28~70/3.4~5.6 Makro/Close Focus Zoom.

morgan_moore
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Really it all depends what you are trying to do

I would have a good think about the canon 28-300 zoom and move on to pointing it at cool stuff - no client or viewer will ever notice unatractive specular highlights, barrel distortion or chromatic abberations

OK this lens is slow but focusable unlike the super wide primes

It has IS critical for any handholding, will have aperture control, has enough mass to aid stability

And if you are fiddling with FF rails and cogs you just build a rig round it once EVER get the gearing perfect and forget it - you will be an on set darling no stupid fiddling between shots or pelicase full of primes racking up exess bagage charges

chuck on one singray vari ND you are good to go

Then get a 14mm for super wide - no focus worries and a 50 1.8 for shallow low light

For stills photogaphy it will keep you out of trouble too

S

iancarleton
06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone, very useful.

Does anyone have recommendations for where to get Contax Zeiss primes from?