PDA

View Full Version : White balance like 4300k ?

Stijn
05-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone.
On my ex1 i really liked i could set the white balance to static value like 4.300 or so, but whith the hpx300 it isn't possible, you just can select 3200 or 5600.
Is there another value i can change to coming close to 4300k ?

Thx (Hope my question is understood) :)

Stijn

davideo.net
05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I had that issue when I borrowed the 300... I wanted a white balance of 3400k, so I just kept white balancing different conditions until I got 3800k. That didn't look right so I just went with the default 3200k. How about trying warming or cooling white balance cards? You can also adjust the A or B settings (warmer or cooler) in the menu after you set the white balance. You'd have to use an accurate monitor since it's just a sliding dial - there are no K numbers.

Dave Nelson
05-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone.
On my ex1 i really liked i could set the white balance to static value like 4.300 or so, but whith the hpx300 it isn't possible, you just can select 3200 or 5600.

Stijn

Hi. I am an EX1 user also. I am considering purchasing an HPX300. I am curious what your impressions of the 300 are as compared to the EX1. How does the noise level compare in low light? How does the Chromatic Abberation of the lenses compare when CAC is disabled on the 300? Does the 300 do a good job of reducing CA with CAC enabled?

What other impressions do you have of the differences between the two cameras?

Your input would be very helpful to me before I make the plunge and buy a 300.

Thanks, Dave.

hotchkiss
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone.

Stijn

I just picked up my 300 yesterday, so I'm still getting familiar with it. Two suggestions though, 1) use a warm card and 2) use the internal WB compensation setting to assign a 4300 correction. You'll still have to get a manual white balance, but it could be dialed in to give you the 4300k .

puredrifting
05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi. I am an EX1 user also. I am considering purchasing an HPX300. I am curious what your impressions of the 300 are as compared to the EX1. How does the noise level compare in low light? How does the Chromatic Abberation of the lenses compare when CAC is disabled on the 300? Does the 300 do a good job of reducing CA with CAC enabled?

What other impressions do you have of the differences between the two cameras?

Your input would be very helpful to me before I make the plunge and buy a 300.

Thanks, Dave.

I have shot quite a bit with both. Here are my observations.

1. EX1 is cleaner in low light. IMHO, the EX1 is too clean, it has that sterile Discovery HD look where even progressive modes look almost like interlaced.

2. I never turned off the CAC on the 300. Why on earth would you? The 300 did an excellent job of suppressing CA with the stock lens and the CAC function.

Two very different cameras with different looks and feels. EX1 is a handycam and horrible ergonomically. 300 is a broadcast type professional camera and is a dream ergonomically. The 300's codec blows te XDCAM EX codec out of the water, no contest there. The EX1 is cleaner. I personally don't like the color/contrast and feel of the EX1 pictures as much as the 300, the 300 images are much more organic to my eye. 300 has the removable lens, EX1 is fixed lens, although it is an excellent fixed lens, I was very impressed with it. The LCDs are about equal. The VF on the 300 is better than the EX1.

I can do great work with either camera and either camera is a professional tool, capable of creating great images. 300 at 720 has much less skew than the EX1. EX1 at 1080 24p has much less skew than the 300. Ex1 uses consumer little batteries, 300 uses professional Anton Bauer type batteries.

Apples and Oranges. Pick the one you like best. If it were my money, I woul buy the 300, I like it a bit better but I would also be basically happy with the EX1. They both have good points and they both have bad points.

Dan