PDA

View Full Version : Why Not the GH1

jrod81
05-28-2009, 11:04 PM
So, I have ruled out the D90 because of 720 (not that 720 is lacking but why not go ahead and get the 1080 if available). Then I am trying to rule out the 5D due to price and the lack of 24p...
So I guess that leaves me asking- why not the GH1? What are the downfalls of this camera? Is it the workflow? Could someone treat me like a first grader and tell me why this camera is not the best of the 3?
thanks
jared

Casalen
05-29-2009, 01:42 AM
I don't like the lack of a full frame sensor just because I couldn't use my wide glass correctly.

I think 720 works best for that codec, but I haven't read in depth in this section yet. I'll let others cover that. I suspect the 5D is better now that they threw in manual controls, but I'll let VDSLR experts cover the details.

Here's a good read: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1649505#post1649505

Summy
05-29-2009, 04:06 AM
I thought the 4/3 was better for wide glass or is it only when using wide angle anamorphic?

FatDaddy
05-29-2009, 05:40 AM
For me, the stills side of things is very important.

If you do not have a real need for stills and will concentrate on the video 85% of the time - the GH1 is the way to go. Especially if you are just starting out or there are no clients demanding this or that, for $1500 it is an easy choice.

hish
05-29-2009, 07:12 AM
I thought the 4/3 was better for wide glass or is it only when using wide angle anamorphic?

No, the GH1 will be better for telephoto use due to its 2x crop factor, and quite frankly useless in the wide side if you don't go for the 7-14mm.

Abstract Photog
05-29-2009, 07:23 AM
No, the GH1 will be better for telephoto use due to its 2x crop factor, and quite frankly useless in the wide side if you don't go for the 7-14mm.

thats not exactly true. there are plenty of high quality and relatively cheap
C-Mount lenses that are both fast and wide, all of which can be mounted to
the GH1 (or G1).

hish
05-29-2009, 07:46 AM
thats not exactly true. there are plenty of high quality and relatively cheap
C-Mount lenses that are both fast and wide, all of which can be mounted to
the GH1 (or G1).

There are a lot of C-mount lenses, but it is difficult to find a good combination of lens characteristics like bokeh rendition, lens coverage and resolution and also price. The quality of Nikkors, Canons and Lumix lenses are surely more consistent in this matter.

jrod81
05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
probably trying to get too much out of one camera here, but the reason i like this dslr option is three fold and you guys tell me if this is just too crazy to hope for:
1. slr still camera: my wife does still photography on the side for fun, so that would be of interest to her
2. shooting small projects (i do video depositions for a few law firms and shoot short documentaries)
3. my wife and i need a new home video camera... you think the focusing issue is just going to be too annoying to use these cameras as home video cameras? will i constantly be focusing while i am shooting if we are walking the streets of Vegas or looking at Civil War Battle sites?

Abstract Photog
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
3. my wife and i need a new home video camera... you think the focusing issue is just going to be too annoying to use these cameras as home video cameras? will i constantly be focusing while i am shooting if we are walking the streets of Vegas or looking at Civil War Battle sites?

as long as your using the kit lens, auto focus isnt an issue.
a lot of people have reported great speed and accuracy out of this lens in terms of AF

Kholi
05-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Not true at all. The 14mm end of the kit lens is quite wide on its own. I thought it would have been an issue as I'm a wide freak, says the Tokina 11-16mm I'm constantly trying to sneak into every shot one way or another.

However, the 14mm suffices constantly, especially considering how close the lens can focus.

Once more, the standard for cinematic acquisition is not Full Frame. It's been Academy/S35 for how many decades? With a few other formats snuck in here or there.

The Gh-1's AOV in Video Mode is pretty close to the RED's... I don't see ANYONE saying that you have to have a 7mm equivalent of Full Frame on the RED.

No, in fact, the Tokina 11-16mm is the hottest wide angle zoom for cinematic acquisition in video. Hence why it's being rehoused for PL format and sold for thousands more than it actually costs. Note: 11-16mm Tokina does not cover FulL Frame until 14mm or so.

artforme
05-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Olympus makes a great affordable wide lens. http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/lens/dea/products/lens/9-18_40-56/index.asp

AdrianF
05-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Also the ZD flavour of the 7-14 F4, if you've got deep pockets.
or ZD 8mm F3.5 fish eye
or Peleng 8mm with adapter
or ZD 11-22mm 2.8-3.5

that'll do wide coverage for me