PDA

View Full Version : What All Choices are We Talking Here

jrod81
05-28-2009, 10:36 PM
So, this DSLR issue is just making me itch to shoot my next project with one... I am just starting the research phase though and like to know what all my options are... is it basically the 3 cameras in this forum section that are the ones to look at for the DSLR option for shooting a movie (Canon 5D, GH1 and D90)?
Has anyone done a pros/cons list comparing these cameras? I would love to see them side by side?

jamesc
05-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Kholi did a great pros and cons list between the 5d2 and the GH-1 here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1648480&postcount=33

I like this post as well:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1622307&postcount=376

The recent firmware update and rumors of 24p are definitely bridging the gap between the 5d2 and GH-1. The D90 seems like a distant third now, mostly lack of manual controls and the worst jello of the three.

Kholi
05-28-2009, 11:42 PM
You know what I didn't do? A similarities list. So here's one

GH-1 and MKii Similarities-

- The Post Workflow requires just as much attention on both sides.
* the MKii at the moment only shoots 30P. Lets be real, most of us want 24p. If you want that then you must go through a process. You can create a droplet for this, but it'll be done. You also have to convert to something you can edit.
* the GH-1 needs a friggin' pulldown. You know the drill. I mean, you get 24P, but you still have to convert/log and transfer. NeoScene makes this a one-step process along with other methods that Isaac Brody has found.

- No Real Onboard Audio
* Metering or not, on boad audio is not here. Both need dual systems which adds to the overall cost of production. even if that cost is low, it's still a cost.

- Both need External Filters
* Slice it how you will. A [good] ND Filter Kit, if not two, will be needed. Puredrifting (Dan) purchased the awesome Singh Ray, a variable ND filter. It also cost about 300+ Retail. I have a set of Hoya ND's that ran me 150.00. You'll also want to have a Polarizer, etc. You overlook this and you'll be wondering why everyone else's footage destroys yours. You must adopt a new kind of mentality: the cinema mentality.

- Support Gear
* We all must find a way to deal with these things. Zacuto, Cinevate, Redrock have all put stuff together but does it work right? This is going to take some getting used to. In exchange for the small size, we now need to find out how to stabilize the cameras in a manner that's cost effective and matches the cost of the camera itself. Did you really gain anything if you have to use a full steadicam rig to get proper motion out of them? No.

- CMOS technology
* no matter which one exhibits the better jello handling, they both have to be tailored to their CMOS limitations. Until someone drops a Global Shutter, they're BOTH inferior to a Global Shutter CCD sensor when dealing with motion, flashes, etc.

- Excellent Storage Capacity
* Beats p2 and SxS cards by a mile, my friends. They both have this advantage, without a doubt.

- Incredible Dynamic Range over Prosumer Video Camera Offerings
* Need I say more? Jack Daniel Stanley made the best point of any posted: they're BOTH better than rocking a 35mm Adapter as far as Dynamic Range and Highlight Handling goes.

- Still Camera Double
* No matter which is better, you still get great stills for the price of both.

- Resale Value
* Welcome to the consumer market. You can keep your glass and sell the camera body when the next one comes up. The ballgame is different here. There are WAY more consumers to sell your gear too than there are Prosumers. Get your use out of it, take care of your gear and sell later to get the next best thing. This is one huge reason why the which-is-better-debates are irrelevant. We will all be better in a year or two.

I think that's about it. Did I miss anything?

Nighthawk
05-29-2009, 12:21 AM

I think there both black.

(in North America anyway)

Orchidthief
05-29-2009, 01:31 AM
You know what I didn't do? A similarities list. So here's one

GH-1 and MKii Similarities-

- The Post Workflow requires just as much attention on both sides.
* the MKii at the moment only shoots 30P. Lets be real, most of us want 24p. If you want that then you must go through a process. You can create a droplet for this, but it'll be done. You also have to convert to something you can edit.
* the GH-1 needs a friggin' pulldown. You know the drill. I mean, you get 24P, but you still have to convert/log and transfer. NeoScene makes this a one-step process along with other methods that Isaac Brody has found.

- No Real Onboard Audio
* Metering or not, on boad audio is not here. Both need dual systems which adds to the overall cost of production. even if that cost is low, it's still a cost.

- Both need External Filters
* Slice it how you will. A [good] ND Filter Kit, if not two, will be needed. Puredrifting (Dan) purchased the awesome Singh Ray, a variable ND filter. It also cost about 300+ Retail. I have a set of Hoya ND's that ran me 150.00. You'll also want to have a Polarizer, etc. You overlook this and you'll be wondering why everyone else's footage destroys yours. You must adopt a new kind of mentality: the cinema mentality.

- Support Gear
* We all must find a way to deal with these things. Zacuto, Cinevate, Redrock have all put stuff together but does it work right? This is going to take some getting used to. In exchange for the small size, we now need to find out how to stabilize the cameras in a manner that's cost effective and matches the cost of the camera itself. Did you really gain anything if you have to use a full steadicam rig to get proper motion out of them? No.

- CMOS technology
* no matter which one exhibits the better jello handling, they both have to be tailored to their CMOS limitations. Until someone drops a Global Shutter, they're BOTH inferior to a Global Shutter CCD sensor when dealing with motion, flashes, etc.

- Excellent Storage Capacity
* Beats p2 and SxS cards by a mile, my friends. They both have this advantage, without a doubt.

- Incredible Dynamic Range over Prosumer Video Camera Offerings
* Need I say more? Jack Daniel Stanley made the best point of any posted: they're BOTH better than rocking a 35mm Adapter as far as Dynamic Range and Highlight Handling goes.

- Still Camera Double
* No matter which is better, you still get great stills for the price of both.

- Resale Value
* Welcome to the consumer market. You can keep your glass and sell the camera body when the next one comes up. The ballgame is different here. There are WAY more consumers to sell your gear too than there are Prosumers. Get your use out of it, take care of your gear and sell later to get the next best thing. This is one huge reason why the which-is-better-debates are irrelevant. We will all be better in a year or two.

Thanks for more insight Kholi...With all the recent announcements and rumours with the 5D, I'm still a bit in the air as to whether or not to go with 5D or GH1. EIther way, your info is helping me make a well thought out decision!

squig
05-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fooking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fooking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fook you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing poo pooing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fooked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that?

You can shoot a film on any of them but if you go for the D90 get 2 of them or the overheating will drive you insane.