PDA

View Full Version : Workflow suggestions for converting GH1 footage to SD?

Rick Rock
05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Greetings,

I was wondering what the best workflow would be for down-rezzing and/or converting the GH1 HD footage to standard SD footage for editing as my current systems cannot adequately handle AVCHD footage and I do not need to worry about completed projects being in HD. Ease of mixing post-transcoded GH1 footage with standard SD DV footage as well would also be a plus.

I am currently working with an SD DV workflow on older PC systems for an SD-only public access station and for personal use. For the most part, I've been shooting on my Canon XL2 + 35mm adapter and Sony DSR300 series cams at the station and have zero experience working with HD footage on an editing system as it's simply not required. I am very interested in the GH1 for the sake of eliminating shooting on tape finally and working with photography lenses, of which I've become very accustomed to doing photography as well as shooting with a 35mm adapter. Working with a smaller and lighter shooting setup is also desirable as anyone with XL2+Letus+mattebox or full size ENG camera experience can probably understand.

I'm using two editing systems: One with Premiere Pro CS2 with a Matrox RT.X100 real-time card and one with Premiere Pro CS3 with no real-time card. Both systems are XP Pro with Intel P4 @ 3GHz with 2GB RAM, 10k system drives and about a terabyte of storage in RAID 0 format. Hopefully, they’ll get an upgrade to Premiere CS4 and better components in the near future, but it’s simply not in the budget for the time being.

Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated.

-Rick

David Newman
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Both resizing to SD you will need to remove pulldown for quality results.

Best:
CineForm Neo HD -- supports prefect pulldown removal and resize to all common output resolution is one step, and batchable for all your shoots. Includes First Light, a real-time color development tool.

Good:
CineForm Neo Scene -- supports prefect pulldown to the same size as your soucre -- batchable. Will require a second step to resize to SD.

Free:
There is script to help you remove pulldown, not perfect yet, you could modify those to include a resize.

Isaac_Brody
05-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Also, VoltaicHD perfectly removes pulldown and can downres at the same time. Pricewise it's much cheaper than Neo HD or Neo Scene.

Voltaic costs $34.99 and is a lot of bang for the buck.

David Newman
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Did they fix the chroma framing error I pointed out in the samples you uploaded a couple of weeks ago?

Isaac_Brody
05-29-2009, 06:17 PM
They did, new version with the fix is going up in a day or two. I tested the new version out myself.

David Newman
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Well we have some competition then.

Isaac_Brody
05-29-2009, 06:22 PM
:)

Rick Rock
05-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I really appreciate the tips. Thanks a bunch!

-Rick

Schmoe
05-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Is GH1 pulldown removal working in the PC/Windows version of VoltaicHD as well?

And has anyone been able to compare the results with footage produced by Cineform Neoscene?