PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Dutch Roll Cradle for 5Dmk2

dave12781
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I've been dying to have a dutch roll effect in ANY production in the future (you know like the scene inside of the oven in Hedwig and the Angry Inch), but those rigs are so expensive that I seriously doubt I could convince a producer it was necessary. So I came up with this fairly simple design to get a similar (all-be-it not as smooth) effect...
http://www.davekratz.com/DutchRollCradle/PoorManDutchRoll.jpg
http://www.vimeo.com/4855358

Future versions are going to be slightly more complex, I'm just happy enough that the 5dMk2 is light enough to make it work with a drill. Instead of hundreds of thousands, this cost me about 85 cents...

Justin Kuhn
05-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Freakin' genius. Maybe I could do this with my HVX if I used my corded Milwaukee (better torque). And maybe a slightly different build for the back of the HVX.

Thank you sir!

mrmoe
05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Haha. Very cool.

Tony_Reyes
05-26-2009, 09:51 PM
I thought this was a joke when I saw the pic...but I stand corrected. Very cool. Dicy but cool.

Be careful dude you have a lot of money connected to some very cheap screws : )

Isaac_Brody
05-26-2009, 10:12 PM
This is ingenious.

dave12781
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I thought this was a joke when I saw the pic...but I stand corrected. Very cool. Dicy but cool.

Be careful dude you have a lot of money connected to some very cheap screws : )

Yea, it's a first attempt. I've got plans for a more staple design...

Be careful, anyone who might try ths... you don't want to go too fast. But the rolling shutter actually gives you a pretty cool effect when you spin.

hungrych
05-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Genius! I think I'm going to have to give this a try...

Matthew Bennett
05-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I've always wanted to do those 'blender' shots too, since I saw 'irreversible'...

Nice, I'm going to try this as well

flfilmguy
05-29-2009, 07:42 AM
that is awesome. I was hoping to see things like this come soon. I say that because the camera is so awesome yet weighs significantly less then you more conventional HD Cams.

Terry_Lasater
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Nice rig. :thumbsup:

flfilmguy
05-30-2009, 05:43 PM
the footage looks amazing. good job man. I showed it to my dp/cam op and he loved it. we are going to play around with a rig like that. Thanks for thinking outside the box.

commanderspike
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I feel dizzy!

Keep imagining the newspaper headline swirling into view in Spiderman & Superman.

ESTEBEVERDE
07-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Why not just digital in post???

alexdias
07-16-2009, 10:13 PM
surprised to see little Jello on it.

Great effect!

Ian Slessor
07-17-2009, 10:28 AM
My only concern is the off-center bracket and how you might not get a consistent speed of rotation as there appears to be a bit of weight shift... Or is it the crappy framerate of the vid on my at-work computer?

What if you built a similar designed bracket but it clamped on the sides of the camera with perhaps a sub-bracket that went underneath and a screw into your tripod...hole for additional security? But centering all your mass around the drill head?

Regardless, neat stuff. If a little nausea-inducing. heh. :)

sincerely,

ian

Toenis
07-17-2009, 03:37 PM
My only concern is the off-center bracket and how you might not get a consistent speed of rotation as there appears to be a bit of weight shift... Or is it the crappy framerate of the vid on my at-work computer?

What if you built a similar designed bracket but it clamped on the sides of the camera with perhaps a sub-bracket that went underneath and a screw into your tripod...hole for additional security? But centering all your mass around the drill head?

Regardless, neat stuff. If a little nausea-inducing. heh. :)

sincerely,

ian

You can always build a steadicam like gimbal around the rotating axis - one hand/"steadyarm" holding it... WOW

If you could balance it around the optical axis it will go on in constant speed I assume but the standard conf is right-heavy and causes some "climb/fall"

T