PDA

View Full Version : HPX300 footage - Go-karts in 1080/24p

Barry_Green
05-26-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.dvxfest.com/sample_footage/loader.php?id=2048

Jan sent some footage that's been shot in 1080/24p AVC-I mode on the HPX300, lots of panning and action. Take a look.

DM_rider
05-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Nice looking footage.

But whoever shot that should have taken the time to clean all the junk off the lens...

G.P.
05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
If possible, I would love to host a full 1080p version of this on our server for people to download...

Also what are the color, gain, shutter speed settings?

Footage looks good, I like.

davideo.net
05-26-2009, 07:46 PM
whoever shot that should have taken the time to clean all the junk off the lens...

It was only a problem at the beginning - the iris set almost completely closed will cause EVERYTHING to be in focus, even the schmutz on the lens.

I REALLY enjoyed that footage! I can't wait to buy a 300!

Joe Shaw
05-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I was kind of hoping for some fast moving action! Was a bit surprised by the pedestrian speed at which they go at! Useful footage though. Looks like there is some skew in there? If so, I'm surprised because the camera is moving pretty slowly. Around the 29 sec mark there is a tree they pass which you can see starts fairly upright then as the camera moves it becomes diagonal...

However, I guess the point of the footage is that you should be watching the action and not the background.

G.P.
05-27-2009, 03:09 AM

Jan sent some footage that's been shot in 1080/24p AVC-I mode on the HPX300, lots of panning and action. Take a look.

Jan is there anyway we could get a 1080p mov of this footage so we can post on our server for the masses to download?

Jan_Crittenden
05-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Jan is there anyway we could get a 1080p mov of this footage so we can post on our server for the masses to download?

I think I will try a different methodology since it seems there are sufficient problems with the downloads from your site. I will keep the group posted.

Thanks,

Jan

G.P.
05-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Just to let you know we found the problem with the folder, it seems the zip folder had a glitch with it. It is being fixed as we speak, a fresh folder is being uploaded now and should be up within the hour. We have had no problems with any of the other footage being downloaded, we have several gigs of hpx300 files that people are downloading daily with no problems.

Jan_Crittenden
05-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Hi Giuseppe,

Well all I know is when I sent the zip folder to you, it did not have a glitch, I opened it again this am just to double check it. Worked fine once I extracted it.

Additionally it seems that there has been from you a wish for .mov ProRes files to make the downloads easier, somehow that doesn't tell me that all is without a hitch. MXF is a universal format and anyone wanting to work in P2 really needs to figure it out. And for what it is worth, it seems that there is a concentration of footage that has been shot by people that are inexperienced with the camera save for a few, and when asked about the settings on the cameras there has been no response. The complaints about not being able to look at the file I sent in from the very beginning have up til now been ignored or put off by saying that there is no problem on your end.

And lastly, there were a number of posts that seem to be waiting for passwords for days and none forthcoming? Don't even know what that is about.

As I said before, I am looking into other methods to host the footage, and I have more coming.

Best regards,

Jan

G.P.
05-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Hi Giuseppe,

Well all I know is when I sent the zip folder to you, it did not have a glitch, I opened it again this am just to double check it. Worked fine once I extracted it.

Additionally it seems that there has been from you a wish for .mov ProRes files to make the downloads easier, somehow that doesn't tell me that all is without a hitch. MXF is a universal format and anyone wanting to work in P2 really needs to figure it out. And for what it is worth, it seems that there is a concentration of footage that has been shot by people that are inexperienced with the camera save for a few, and when asked about the settings on the cameras there has been no response. The complaints about not being able to look at the file I sent in from the very beginning have up til now been ignored or put off by saying that there is no problem on your end.

And lastly, there were a number of posts that seem to be waiting for passwords for days and none forthcoming? Don't even know what that is about.

As I said before, I am looking into other methods to host the footage, and I have more coming.

Best regards,

Jan

The reason why we have been asking for Proress footage and .mov footage is simply that for evaluating Skew, there is no need to view in AVC-I footage to evaluate this type of thing. Second reason for asking for ProRess files is that some people do not have the systems to handle AVC-I footage (older mac book, G5 towers, ect...) this allows them to view and evaluate a much higher quality footage other than the available on site such as Vimeo, or YouTube HD, but still compressed enough to view on their system. People are trying to evaluate footage without having to spend $2,000 + just to have new equipment to view it. Third reason for Proress and MOV files is so that we can take a look at what compressed files look like, after all these are the mediums that we will be using for internet view anyway, and lots of people use internet to evaluate other peoples work such as DP's and such. The compressed files were never going to replace the P2 files, they were to be used in conjunction with them, we are still keeping the larger P2 files up for downloading.

As for the requests for passwords, we have been handling that mostly every 72 hours (as stated) in bulk. If we missed one, then yes they could end up waiting 6 days for a password, but we have addressed everyone's requests in our Film@NewYorkFilmStudios.com email inbox. Some people have incorrectly sent requests to other e-mail address on our server that are not setup to handle the passwords. Thus they have not gotten a password from us due to their error in not following directions. This is a FREE personal way for people to access very high quality footage, it seems that there is no other service doing this at the moment, so we decided to step-up and help, considering we have the storage capacity and bandwidth to handle such a large task of downloading/uploading these files that are gigs in size.

We understand how very important it is for the viewing of specific footage from a camera before purchase, We never advised that this should be used as the only way of viewing footage, just as everyone else, you should head down to a local shop and pop a P2 card in and shoot for yourself. But for the people who want to update to a new camera, but CANT have access to one, this is a great help to them, and as of now the only way they can view P2 footage.

Lars has provided tons of useful clips for evaluation from this camera, he also provided all of the details for each clip and settings. Everyone else we asked settings for has gotten back to us with them, and are somewhere on this tread.

As for the ZIP folder with Panasonics footage, we have heard mixed info from people trying to download it, it was uploaded exactly as sent to us. We noticed a few people having problems so we tried to see if others had these issues. We are not a server company, we are a film company offering help to fellow filmmakers and shooters. I personally went to view the folder size off of our server and saw it was showing the file size incorrectly, this could cause some problems with downloading, and might be the reason why people are getting the "incomplete download" problem. We addressed this today with uploading a fresh zip folder to make sure there was nothing wrong.

I am sure Panasonic has had a demand for footage from shooters, but I have yet to see anything being done about that.

You stated there was "footage that has been shot by people that are inexperienced with the camera" well isn't that the whole point? This camera just came out, we are testing it just as you guys have tested it, how could anyone be experienced with this camera if it just came out on the market for less than a month in most places? I have no doubt that the footage will get better and better as people shoot, but for now, yes you will see images that are for the most part settings right out of the box camera. If you are unhappy with footage that has been "untweaked" right from the camera, how could that be their fault?

I will continue to to keep our FTP server up and running for the masses here on DVXUser, I have numerous E-mails thanking us for our part in helping get this footage out when no one else has. I stand by what we have offered and think we have done a good job at addressing the problems at hand, especially considering this is NOT what we do as a living, nor a service we have ever provided before.

I read and reply to this form and others as a hobby, sometimes I'm even on set while responding to these, via iPhone.

After all wasn't it you who said directly to me, that we shouldn't evaluate footage from compressed online sites? Thus we now offer uncompressed and compressed from a secure server, with almost %0 downtime, and tens of terabytes of space. Until someone else provides better, I believe we are the only source besides a "file sharing" type service such as YouSendIt, which has limits and fees associated with it. REDRelay are the only guys I see doing something like this, but again its for RED footage only... http://www.redrelay.net Just as we are providing, you have the choice of "Raw footage" out of the camera, or compressed HD files such as .mov and .mp4 videos.

Have I done something wrong?

Jan_Crittenden
05-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Hi,

Yousendit only has fees on the sender's side. Anyone wishing to download the 760 MBs of this Go-Kart file can contact me via PM and I will give you the address for download. This MXF zip file is a partial of the mp4, but thought that patience in downloading only goes so far.

Best,

Jan

Barry_Green
05-27-2009, 10:56 AM
You stated there was "footage that has been shot by people that are inexperienced with the camera" well isn't that the whole point?
Frankly, no.

Who wants to see bad footage? Unless you're someone who has an agenda, who wants to bash the product, then what purpose does generic bad footage serve?

I think there's some frustration here because... well, frankly, we've been doing this a while. DVXUser's been up for 7 years now. We've weathered many, many new camera introductions. We've seen good and bad footage. The only types of footage that ever helps anyone to actually evaluate a product are:
a) Footage that shows how good a camera can look when used properly, and
b) test footage that clearly shows what circumstances problems arise in.

Pointing out clip after clip of bad stuff is pointless bashing, frankly. You ask if that isn't the point? What point is there in seeing a newbie who doesn't know what they're doing, waving the camera around, getting awful results, and then blaming the camera for it?

Wouldn't it be far more illustrative to see the best it can do, and -- if the best isn't good enough, THEN you have something to make a decision on. And if the best IS good enough, THEN you have something to make a decision on.

Any camera can be made to look bad, through inexperience, incompetence, or employing it in the entirely wrong circumstances. I can make any HDV camera look absolutely horrible under the right circumstances. As long as we know what those circumstances are, and people are adequately educated to avoid them (or, if the circumstances are unavoidable, to then avoid HDV), then what further purpose does it serve to show bad HDV footage?

Look -- I've seen the 300 at its best. I had Kevin Railsback shooting, and he didn't know a thing about the camera, but I tweaked it. We shot good subjects, some of the most magnificent creatures on the planet, in South Africa. I then was treated (and I use that word on purpose) to see the original raw codec footage played back on a 26" 1080p production HD monitor, which I stared at from a distance of 10" away. And what I saw looked so good that I literally clapped. It was astonishingly good, especially considering a) it was a prototype camera that is noisier than the production version, and b) you can buy it for under $8,000.

So when you have at times seemed set on pointing out everything bad about the HPX300, I have to wonder what you're trying to accomplish. The thing rocks. It does a fantastic job, if you know what you're doing. Yes it's noisier than a 2/3" camera -- boo-frickin'-hoo. Lab testing showed the noise level in general to be better than other 1/3" cameras, and in the same general ballpark as the EX1, just a little noisier. Yes there's more noise in the 10-30 IRE band, just like there is on every single AG-series Panasonic camcorder I've ever tested. It's there on the DVX100, the DVX100A, the DVX100B, the HVX200, the HVX200A, the HPX170, the HMC150, the HPX500, and the HPX300. If you think stellar footage hasn't been done with those products, I would strongly disagree.

So -- enough with the crap footage. Let's see either something good, so people know what they can expect when properly used, or scientific evaluation footage.

Jan_Crittenden
05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
this download only takes about 15-20 minutes on a Comcast Cable Modem. Hopefully that will help folks judge whether they have the bandwidth and time.

Best,

Jan

Jason Ramsey
05-27-2009, 04:42 PM
If you end up needing an alternative, we can always host the mxf files from dvxfest.com as Barry has done with the file he posted.

We've got plenty of bandwidth as far as that's concerned... We served up over 2TB's of Bandwidth last fest in around 10 days or so....

I'm pretty sure Barry and Larry have it worked out so he can upload stuff for posting on the site, so if you decide you want an alternative...

later,
Jason

Jan_Crittenden
05-27-2009, 04:44 PM
As long as it is fast, and password free. Things I like about the yousendit site. If it is, send PM and I will upload there.

Best,

Jan

Jason Ramsey
05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
password free, and generally very fast depending on the mirror. But, larry can have it just use the mirrors that perform the best for us.

Up to you... Just thought I would throw it out there for you :)

vic777
05-29-2009, 04:28 AM

Jan sent some footage that's been shot in 1080/24p AVC-I mode on the HPX300, lots of panning and action. Take a look.it said mp4 sure it wasn't supposed to be 4mp(h)?
(I got your 170 book of Amazon, thanks, great service, I'll give positive feedback eventually when I get around to it)

Jan_Crittenden
05-29-2009, 04:44 AM
I asked Mike to redo the MXF file of the Go-Karts for dowload so that it is a 23.98 file instead having the pulldown added back in making the file , 1080i/24P, which is what I have had up for the last couple of days. If you want to download this one, send me a Private Message on this Board and I will send you the link for down load. Cost you nothing and this one is fast to download, it about 550Mbs, it too about 11 minutes on my Comcast Cable Modem.

Best,

Jan