PDA

View Full Version : Which version of the GH1 will be most popular?

commanderspike
05-23-2009, 12:13 PM
In my rabid haste to get my hands on a GH1 before my time in Taiwan comes to an end on the 22nd June, I have purchased the camera, in red, from Japan.

A few days later, as sod's law would have it, the GH1 (PAL) was released in Hong Kong.

So I am wondering - which version is best? Which is going to be more in demand if I sell mine?

Is 24p an advantage over 25p and will 60i be better for fast motion than 50i? Or will taking a NTSC camera back to Britain be a huge mistake, and give me flickering under lights?

I am also curious to see how hard the Japanese menus makes camera operation - but the main positive to take from that is you can get an idea from icons and the numbers , terminology & external control labelling do not contain Japanese, are the same the world over

Colour wise... red is rarer this time and seems to be selling better than with the G1 (I personally bought the black one that time). Could it become more of a collectors item? Is it going to be available in the US? I heard not.

Or are all these differences so minor as to be moot?

Casalen
05-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Or are all these differences so minor as to be moot?

This, except that NTSC and PAL regions should stick to their respective formats.

I'd definitely want the black one. Red is a nice color, it's just not what I think my camera should be. Black will be easier to match with the rest of a rig as well, making for a more professional and less distracting look.

Ooze3d
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Personally I'd say PAL version, because 720p50 is easily convertible to 25p, 50i doesn't need pulldown removal and there's no visual difference between 24 and 25fps.

But... The extra 10fps in 720p60 in the NTSC version are a plus...

Before knowing about the pulldown in the NTSC version I was thinking of buying one (red of course) because as a filmlook maniac I wanted to get as close to standard film shooting rules as possible, and that means shooting at real 24fps. But as I said, there's no real visual difference between 24 and 25fps and even if someone notices, it still moves like film. It's not like the 5D 30p.

Eventually most people will buy the version available in their country.

yia
05-23-2009, 07:18 PM
how come there is no red one in the us.... I was told by panasonic the black is the only one coming out in june

commanderspike
05-23-2009, 11:27 PM
This is what I mean by the red one being more valuable this time.

Not available AT ALL in the US. Very strange.

Casalen
05-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Probably because we're the only ones who aren't commies.

Nighthawk
05-24-2009, 04:09 PM
This, except that NTSC and PAL regions should stick to their respective formats.

I'd definitely want the black one. Red is a nice color, it's just not what I think my camera should be. Black will be easier to match with the rest of a rig as well, making for a more professional and less distracting look.

Agree with this though I feel for international shooters. Be nice if it were switchable. Maybe next gen.

Probably because we're the only ones who aren't commies.

Huh?

Mine could be purple and orange if I could have it by June 15th. Just saying.

Rick Rock
05-26-2009, 06:57 AM
probably because we're the only ones who aren't commies.

lol