PDA

View Full Version : Does the GH1 have a mechanical shutter at all?

Texanite
05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I was a little surprised that the G1 has a mechanical shutter, nay TWO mechanical shutters. I was thinking that it was all electronic so now I'm wondering if the GH1 is the same.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dK6Qa1Iy4Y) to video of G1 shutter(s)

Thanks

ydgmdlu
05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Why wouldn't it be the same? The GH1 is exactly the same as the G1 except for a better sensor and video capability. The camera bodies are virtually identical.

Jeff_L
05-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm curious to know about the sound level of the shutter, if there is one. I would love to take stills silently on a film set without the use of a blimp.

Texanite
05-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Why wouldn't it be the same?

The camera bodies are virtually identical.

That's why I'm asking. When shooting video at 24fps or 60fps, I'm pretty sure that the GH1 isn't having a mechanical shutter open and close with every frame. So if this camera can take 60 images every second without using a mechanical shutter, why would it need one when taking single frame still photos?

ydgmdlu
05-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Easiest thing to do is to ask someone like Kholi to do the same test that was in the video: Take off the lens and snap a still photo.

To try to use "common sense" as a way of arriving at the answer without doing such a test is just stupid. The engineers obviously had a good reason (something not immediately intuitive) to maintain a mechanical shutter on the G1. It must do something important that the electronic shutter can't do (or can't do well). The only reason to wonder about it is if you're genuinely curious about the purpose of the mechanical shutter, rather than to debate about whether or not a camera has one or needs one.

If you're genuinely curious, then aim your question at someone who has the relevant background to be able to explain it.

commanderspike
05-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes the GH1 has a mechanical shutter. Same as the G1.

Not sure how it opperates in video mode. You get some rolling shutter effect, like the D90, so maybe there is your answer. Electronic shutter is used for video. I find it hard to believe that on a digital SLR the mechanical shutter is used in video mode, clicking away in the background!!!

Texanite
05-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Yes the GH1 has a mechanical shutter. Same as the G1.

Thanks for the confirmation, commanderspike.

I find it hard to believe that on a digital SLR the mechanical shutter is used in video mode, clicking away in the background!!!

Me as well. That's why I was wondering if it would take stills using the electronic shutter as well.

Thanks

ydgmdlu
05-23-2009, 10:26 AM
By the way, here's the explanation that you wanted: http://myphotomoviecam.blogspot.com/2009/02/whats-wrong-with-electronic-shutters.html

BrianMurphy
05-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Am I the only one who notices that there is a definite lack of civility around the GH1 threads, or perhaps because I am buying one I visit here more than the other threads. Somehow I am hard pressed to recall this happening with such frequency in the past.
A witty comment or a poke in good natured fun is something I can understand. But lately my friends and colleagues it has gone beyond that and I hope it stops soon. Mods?

John Caballero
05-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Am I the only one who notices that there is a definite lack of civility around the GH1 threads, or perhaps because I am buying one I visit here more than the other threads.

Oh. Visit other threads more often. You'll be surprised. But at the end of the day it means nothing, as much of this stuff is nonesense and basically can be answered by visiting wikipedia. Something that many apparently can't seem to be able to do for some unknown reason.

Barry_Green
05-23-2009, 11:35 AM
If you see something that crosses the line, use the http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/images/buttons/report.gifbutton next to the post to report it to us.

Civility is required here on DVXUser. We can't always police everything, but report any post and we'll deal with it appropriately.