PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Cineform workflow for Mac: the VirtualBox workaround

ydgmdlu
05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Folks, this is the Holy Grail.

Cineform Neo Scene is the only "one click" pulldown-removal and transcoding solution that completely works. On top of that, transcoding speed is fast, and the codec is terrific, giving you better quality at smaller file sizes than ProRes. The only downside, other than having to pay for it, is that the Mac version is unstable and just doesn't give good results. David at Cineform has suggested that a fix is coming soon, but for those who can't wait, I have found a workaround that, while a bit of a hassle to set-up, is very easy and smooth once it's all ready to go. The solution is VirtualBox, which is free virtual machine software. If you can obtain a copy of Windows (and there are many ways...), then you can run a virtual Windows PC inside of your OS X session.

I've made a video to demonstrate: http://www.screencast.com/t/cMjCTSHzl

What I show in the first part of the video is something that you should only have to do once. It's just setting a shared folder between Windows and Mac. When you restart the virtual machine, the shared folder connection should be automatically reestablished. So all that you would have to do, once you've started the virtual machine and booted Windows, is launch Neo Scene and go. If there's any other Windows applications that you've wished to use but couldn't because you don't use Windows, then this workaround is for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

xmephestox
05-21-2009, 08:04 PM
doesn't the windows version ONLY make avi's. does that have any issues with working with mac software that primarely deal with quicktime?

ydgmdlu
05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Specifically which applications do you have in mind that would have difficulty working with AVIs? In my video, I showed that once I transcoded the MTS, I imported the AVI directly into Final Cut Pro and was able to work with it without issue. AVI is as much of a standard as MOV, so major Mac applications should be able to support it.

stephenvv
05-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Cineform Windows makes MOVs as well

Selvedge
05-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Cool! I didn't know free software existed for this. I have used VMware Fusion to run Windows inside OS X. It also has multi-core CPU support. I think there's a 30 day trial...