PDA

View Full Version : Wiki page listing all large-sensor cameras

dan_aka_jack
05-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi guys,

I've started a wiki page to list all released, announced and rumoured large-sensor (2/3" inch or larger), affordable cameras.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual/Cinematography/Large_sensor_digital_film_cameras

I've only just started it. Please do dive in and edit!

Thanks,
Jack

snowleopard
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I like the idea, but less than a month out, doesn't look like any updates. The page also seems to be too "in development/rumors" heavy.

Really need to get other pro cameras on there. The Viper, Phantom HD cams, the CineAlta F23 and F35, Genesis, Arri D-21, Dhalsa, etc. And if you're going to have Scarlet listed, having a section of 2/3" cameras is a good idea, adding the Panny lineup from Varicam to HPX500, etc.

Having dollar prices might help too.

Sorry if this sounds too critical. I think it's a great start.

:)

dan_aka_jack
06-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Great points. Feel free to add those cameras if you have a chance!

Trey T
07-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Not many people will acknowledge wiki are legitimate references, therefore you need to be keen on the grammars and add as much off-page reference as possible.

define exactly what is 2/3" sensor, the exact dimension.

I haven't see anybody write the full specification of future or rumored unit. They tend to give a sypnosis of an upcoming or rumored unit. Therefore, it's probably best to keep rumor infos differently than the actual.

remember that the basis of wikis is a source of reference. rumor can not a reference.

thanks for sharing,

Giganova
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
I applaud the idea, but the list is highly incomplete to the extent that it makes it useless. Also, I wouldn't consider a 2/3" camcorder a "large sensor" cam. If you do, you need to list all large sensor camcorders, e.g. the Arri, CineAlta, Genesis, Viper, Phantom, Varicam, HPX500, HPX2000, SPX800, HPX3000, XDCAM, HDCAM, ... etc. The selection of camcorders featured on the Wiki is a typical list of a drooling amateur who would like to have a large sensor camera but doesn't really know what pro camcorders are actually out there (no offense intended, just want to make a point).

Keep it up, this could turn out to be a very useful resource if much more timely effort is being put into this. Keep in mind that the list of available camcorders is changing week by week, so I hope that you factored that into your ability to keep the site up to date.

On a related note, I keep a similar list of mouthpieces that are available for saxophones. I have more than 1,000 pieces on that web site and it turned out to be a huge time commitment just to keep up with changes. As soon as I lag behind updating the site, I get tons of emails with complaints. In order to have such a web site as a credible resource online, you need to be able to spend a significant time & expertise on it, otherwise you'll just waste other people's time and put your own credibility on line.

How do you intend to keep up with the "rumors" section and how does that enhance/undermine the credibility of the site?

dan_aka_jack
07-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Just to emphasise one point: the real beauty of wikis is that anyone can edit them! So feel free to dive in and add details. To be entirely honest, I simply don't have time to update the page frequently. I was hoping that others would contribute if they feel they want to.