PDA

View Full Version : my 5DM2 has arrived - questions!

Finster
05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Arrived late Friday, just before the in-laws showed up for the weekend (so unfair!). I'm just now getting around to unpacking it.

Q1 - I'm on p121 of the instruction manual. I'm unclear on the P/Tv/Av/M/B shooting modes - can I select any one of those??? Does it matter? (I haven't even turned on my 5D yet - still charging the battery).

Q2 - What about picture style? Do any of you guys mess around with the contrast, saturation, sharpness?

Q3 - I read about the aliasing issues, so I purchased the Hoya duto glass diffusion filter for my Nikon AIS lenses. This will help, right??? Please say yes.

Q4 - Where can I read more about adjusting the shutter speed using a portable data input device, like the Apple iTouch? I still don't totally understand this process. It'd be nice if there was a little instructional video on Vimeo! :)

Finster
05-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Regarding Q4, let me be more specific. I read somewhere that you'll need to cover the lens entirely with the digital device. Makes sense. But in the case of the iTouch, is the screen large enough???

I've got the Nikon 105mm 1.8. It's a fat lens. Wouldn't it overlap slightly, thus screwing up this whole workflow?

daveswan
05-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Re Q1
Tv is shutter Priority, you set the shutter speed, the camera sets the aperture
Av is Aperture Priority, you set the aperture, the camera sets the shutter speed
M is manual, you're responsible for setting both aperture and shutter
P the camera sets both (Idiot mode)
B is "bulb" exposure, the shutter remains open for as long as the shutter is pressed (Or maybe press to open, pres again to close, though that used to marked T)
AFAIK, none of the above work in movie mode.....yet. We can but hope.

Q2 Picture style, I have a MkI, which is usually set to "Faithful"

Q3 I don't know, probably not

Q4 I wish I knew too

Finster
05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I have the 40D, so I know about Tv, Av, M, etc. I just didn't know if they made any sort of difference in video mode?

daveswan
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Sorry! No I don't think they do. perhaps someone with real experience of video on the 5DII will come in on this one. I'm a 'tog, been togging these past 45 years, so I know my stills stuff, but still relatively new to cine.
Dave

Finster
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Dave. I was able to shoot some footage this morning. Man, it looks ***SWEET*** with my Nikon 50mm 1.4!

But shutter speed and ISO were all over the map. Hopefully someone will chime in on Q4.

marco0782
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
If your sharpness is set low and you are using a diffusion filter, you shouldn't see any aliasing.

Marco

Finster
05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
If your sharpness is set low and you are using a diffusion filter, you shouldn't see any aliasing.

Marco

Good to know! Thanks Marco.

puredrifting
05-21-2009, 08:54 PM
I have pretty much given up on using my iPod touch, I can just work with the Singh Ray Vari ND and I get whatever I want. According to other posts, the shutter speeds displayed are fiction anyway so I don't think there is a huge difference in most of the displayed speeds unless you go above 1/125th.

The iPod trick works but as stated above, only for my 52mm diameter lenses, I also have a few 77mms and a 67mm that the iPod Touch screen isn't large enough to cover. The Singh Ray is much more practical, I barely had just 5 seconds delay to set the shutter and ISO I wanted when doing a run and gun shoot last weekend.

Dan

Kholi
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Dan: are you able to get a 1/50th Shutter with the Singh Ray? Or is it always 1/40 or 1/60?

Singh Ray is definitely the quickest workflow I had in mind when I was considering the MKii. Just didnt know if it would work out.

puredrifting
05-22-2009, 07:23 AM
I can usually get 1/40th or 1/50th. For some reason, 1/60th seems trickier to get for me although if I mess with it enough, I can usually get it. I am personally not putting a lot of stock in if 1/50th or 1/60th are actually different speeds anyway. Other people who have been testing the shutter speeds over at the Cinema 5D site are telling me that the shutter speed displays are all fiction anyway, they are actually all different than displayed so I am not sweating it. You can't really control what you can't really see.

I just care more about how it looks. I shot a clip of a friends band performing last weekend and posted it for him. His first comment was, "wow, that looks amazing, that is some camera". I am pretty satisfied with the look of the camera and the work that some others are doing with it is amazing.

Dan

Finster
05-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the input Dan. I just ordered the Singh Ray Vari ND this morning. I'm almost there ... got my 5DM2, Nikon lenses, H4n, and now this ND!

I've been wondering - can you slap additional filters onto the Singh Ray Vari ND, like a warm polarizer? Will it cause vignetting?

puredrifting
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
If you bought the 77mm normal, you can. Will it cause Vignetting? On a wide angle lens, definitely. On a 50mm or longer? It would depend on the lens. Keep in mind that the Vari ND is really two filters stacked so if you add another, now you have three filters stacked. I would definitely make sure that the third filter is a thinline. You do realize that you can order the Vari ND with a warm pola built in, right? http://www.singh-ray.com/varinduo.html

You need the Z-Finder too. I can't shoot this camera without it.

Dan

Finster
05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
I didn't know about the Vari ND w/ warm polarizer. Oh well. I purchased the "normal" Vari ND, so I'll just have to make due.

Yeah, I looked at the Z-Finder. I guess they're all sold out of v1. It'll be 10 weeks before they start shipping v2. I was actually thinking about building a rig similar to this guy's (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos-5d-mk-ii-hd/235512-5d-mark-ii-every-day-set-up.html) over on dvinfo ... with the Genus rails and Red Rock Micro follow focus.

But I'm quickly running out of money! :crybaby:

Finster
05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I've got another question for you Dan. Have you used any Canon lenses with your 5DM2? If so, are you incorporating the twist method? I have yet to test it out with my EF 24-105mm.

voltes
05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I have a 24-105 with a UV and CP and it vignettes. :( I haven't tried the twist method but tried covering the contacts on my 50mm with a stretch-tite plastic and it works fine. I'm sure the twist method would have worked the too. Was planning to test that next but I'm a bit more cautious with the 24-105mm. ;)

thekreative
05-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I use the tape method with my 2 canon zooms. I don't like the idea of the lens not being locked on. Plus with the follow focus it could be twisting and I might not realize it.

Emanuel
05-22-2009, 10:51 AM
The mylar ring is the best way to go with Canon. Tape can put you too much nervous if one day you'll find is not there anymore. ;-)

Finster
05-22-2009, 11:17 AM
The mylar ring is the best way to go with Canon. Tape can put you too much nervous if one day you'll find is not there anymore. ;-)

What's a mylar ring? :huh:

Emanuel
05-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Here's an interesting thread where you can find out by yourself:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos-5d-mk-ii-hd/142667-new-way-lock-aperture-ef-lens.html#post1003370

Hope this helps,

E. :-)

Finster
05-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Very helpful. Thanks.