PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to hear from anyone who has bought the 300

ryaninoz
05-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Anyone who bought a 300/301/302 and is happy ? I bought mine a week ago and I think it is capable ( in the right hands of course ! ) of producing some very nice images. I came from shooting digi beta and DVCAM ( 450/500/570 ) all of which are nice cameras but on new HD displays or computer displays they weren't cutting it anymore. The HPX302 can look way nicer than any sub 20k camera ought to ! So far I am very pleased however it seems like I am the only one when I read some of these posts, when the ex1's came out the net was full of people saying how wonderful the images are. I have had trouble even finding any nice 300 vision on the net. There are a few video's on vimeo but they look awful. So where are all the other happy 300 owners ?

G.P.
05-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Ok, I'm sure all of you are sick of me talking by now, but yet again I'll give my opinion haha...

I think the reason why we saw the market of EX1/3 so excited and rave reviews about their cameras is quite simple, the camera is marketed to different people.

The guys at Zacuto have gotten it completely right, with their "review" on the HPX300 http://www.vimeo.com/3341380 .....

This camera is a REAL form factor camera, the EX1/3 is NOT. You are now targeting people who can be MUCH more critical when looking at footage in this type of setup. All the other cameras in its price range are Prosumer cameras, they have to be held out in front of you, or rested in an odd way agenst you, or you have to pay a bunch of money to get some odd looking brace to go on your shoulder. People who buy cameras like that most likely dont have the same standards as someone who is interested in the form factor of a REAL shoulder mount camera.

Panasonic pretty much created its own nitch with the price range and form factor, which means you have a war between 2 sides of the industry in tearms of quality. When you make a new "Nitch" you end up having people who want to shoot it down right away (myself included, because of noise and skew issues).

I think the reason why you arent hearing much good is they are simply more critical people who are interested in this camera, testing this camera, considering buying this camera, and you will have much more skeptical views, than Oooo a new palmcorder by sony! People have high expectations with a shoulder mount, so there will be critical eyes on it.

Also, its only been out for a few months... let people shoot with it and see what happens.

The HD100 had mixed views when it came out, the footage was great, but the split screen problem killed a lot of people. Eventually it was worked out (JVC took cameras back and fixed issues *hint hint Panasonic*) and you saw more great work coming out of the camera, and less complaining.

It takes months before you get projects finished that are worth reviewing that were shot with this camera, I have no doubt that in a few months time we will start to see finished projects that look great. Remember for everyone of us people who are complaining on here, there's a bunch more that are out there shooting away, and coming up with their own conclusion.

the good stuff will come, just will take a while.

Dave Nelson
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Ok, I'm sure all of you are sick of me talking by now, but yet again I'll give my opinion haha...

I think the reason why we saw the market of EX1/3 so excited and rave reviews about their cameras is quite simple, the camera is marketed to different people.

The guys at Zacuto have gotten it completely right, with their "review" on the HPX300 http://www.vimeo.com/3341380 .....

This camera is a REAL form factor camera, the EX1/3 is NOT. You are now targeting people who can be MUCH more critical when looking at footage in this type of setup. All the other cameras in its price range are Prosumer cameras, they have to be held out in front of you, or rested in an odd way agenst you, or you have to pay a bunch of money to get some odd looking brace to go on your shoulder. People who buy cameras like that most likely dont have the same standards as someone who is interested in the form factor of a REAL shoulder mount camera.

Panasonic pretty much created its own nitch with the price range and form factor, which means you have a war between 2 sides of the industry in tearms of quality. When you make a new "Nitch" you end up having people who want to shoot it down right away (myself included, because of noise and skew issues).

I think the reason why you arent hearing much good is they are simply more critical people who are interested in this camera, testing this camera, considering buying this camera, and you will have much more skeptical views, than Oooo a new palmcorder by sony! People have high expectations with a shoulder mount, so there will be critical eyes on it.

Also, its only been out for a few months... let people shoot with it and see what happens.

The HD100 had mixed views when it came out, the footage was great, but the split screen problem killed a lot of people. Eventually it was worked out (JVC took cameras back and fixed issues *hint hint Panasonic*) and you saw more great work coming out of the camera, and less complaining.

It takes months before you get projects finished that are worth reviewing that were shot with this camera, I have no doubt that in a few months time we will start to see finished projects that look great. Remember for everyone of us people who are complaining on here, there's a bunch more that are out there shooting away, and coming up with their own conclusion.

the good stuff will come, just will take a while.

I agree with most of what you say. However this board is devoted primarily to Panasonic camcorders so there is a definite bias in that direction.

Panasonic believes that the HPX300 will be a great HD ENG camera for them and will fill that new local HD TV station market nicely at under $10,000. Sony also has a full sized HDV shoulder mounted camera, the HVR-S270 that retails for around $10,000. This product is targeted directly at the same HD ENG market that Panasonic is attempting to enter with the HPX300.

Sony owns the majority of this market already, and is filling in gaps at the low end. I am convinced that the HPX300 is a better product than Sony's HVR-S270, but Sony has the name, and marketshare. They have placed the XD-CAM HD cameras in most networks and many local TV stations already. All Sony XDCAM HD and EX products can also write 1440 x 1080i 25Mbps files for compatibility with their lower end HDV camera systems and infrastructure.

If you look at Panasonic's recent press release, they are touting that they will be shipping many HPX300s to a station in Minneapolis that is going HD for all their news crew. This is a good catch and a good start for their growing ENG business.

Look at Panasonic's brochure for the HPX300, towards the back. There are scads of coming soon offerings related to broadcast and ENG applications that they are working hard on, as we speak, to complete.

Frankly, I think the day of the 30 to $60,000.00 ENG camera are numbered and soon will be gone forever. And Sony and Panasonic realize this.

--Dave

Barry_Green
05-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Sony owns the majority of this market already
Sony owns the majority of *what* market? News/ENG? I don't think so. Not since BetaSP. Panasonic's DVCPRO took 70% of the USA news market for all digital sales, and currently P2 is taking about 75% of the market. And overseas it's even worse for Sony, Panasonic's taken about 85% of the European HD broadcast market.

I am convinced that the HPX300 is a better product than Sony's HVR-S270
Meaning a 10-bit, 4:2:2, intraframe AVC-HD camcorder is better than an 8-bit, 4:2:0, HDV camcorder? Screamingly so.

but Sony has the name, and marketshare.
Not anymore. Ask around. Sony's name is not what it once was.

Sure, General Motors used to be the biggest company in the world, with the biggest name, but -- it's not like that anymore.

They have placed the XD-CAM HD cameras in most networks and many local TV stations already.
WHAT networks? Fox is 100% P2-only. All NBC owned & operated stations are 100% P2. Even ABC affiliates are going P2. The only place Sony ever got any real traction at all with XDCAM-HD was with CBS. Even in Australia, the most Sony-centric country I've ever visited, the Australian Broadcasting Corp went with P2.

As for local TV stations, as of last month Panasonic states that approximately 330 local stations have gone P2. Local and regional broadcast groups are going almost exclusively P2 -- whether Raycom, or Charter, or the Weather Channel, or Fox News, or Fox Business Channel, or Fox Sports, or Media General, or whoever. Telemundo is all P2. All the NBC/Universal stations and networks are all P2. The BBC has endorsed P2/AVC-Intra and DVCPRO-HD for all production for Factual Studios, and is using AVC-Intra as the codec for their Digital Media Initiative. The Olympics are all P2. Most of the professional football and college football programs that have gone tapeless, have gone P2.

Even if you use Sony's numbers, they claim they've sold 40,000 XDCAM units worldwide -- which includes standard-def, high-def, and XDCAM 422. Panasonic says they've sold 110,000 P2 units. That's almost 3x as many, which corresponds pretty well with Panasonic's claims of 75% US and 85% Europe.

If you look at Panasonic's recent press release, they are touting that they will be shipping many HPX300s to a station in Minneapolis that is going HD for all their news crew. This is a good catch and a good start for their growing ENG business.
I think you've missed a lot of press releases. That station in Minneapolis is an ABC affiliate who bought about 40 HPX300s. But that's just the latest in a string of about 330 stations that have gone P2. Rather than a "good start for their growing ENG business", it's more like a "death knell for Sony's dying ENG business".

Frankly, I think the day of the 30 to $60,000.00 ENG camera are numbered and soon will be gone forever. And Sony and Panasonic realize this.
You'd be quite correct on that. Which is why all NBC owned & operated affiliates are using the HPX300 as their main camera, and the HPX170 as their handheld camera. It was quite a bit of news at NAB that one of our four major networks was standardizing on a 1/3" camera, but that's what happened. Budgets are gone, and 1/3" is the new 2/3", at least at NBC and ABC. Fox bought tons of 2/3" HPX2000s so they're still 2/3" but the others are seeing rapid adoption of 1/3".

Lez
05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
In Oz XD-CAM HD is the winner in this market segment... although I agree the 300 is in it's own category due to incredible price point...

The major reason I've found is most DOP's who came from Digi-Beta like the disc based format... similar to tape.. they shoot hand over the disc's and job is done... Producers also like the fact they are holding something real that contains their prized footage...

That's been the biggest hurdle P2 has had to overcome... you will get a DOP who has made the jump to XDcam flaming the P2 system with stories of lost footage due to some sort of on set issue.... Producers get scared...

The good thing for us this that the domestic camcorder market is shifiying to solid state... and as people learn to manage their own media... the whole Voddoo of solid state starts to disappear...

Even insurance companies will start to change their thoughts on solid state...

My 2c... cheers

G.P.
05-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I agree with Barry's input. I have to say, that for ENG type cameras in the 30k+ is slightly ridiculous, I see NO reason these cameras should be used in the field for news work. I do believe that the form factor and price will still be there, just so long as the camera is progressive scan. Mostly the "film guys" like these cameras and buy them. So yes thos cameras will be around still, they just wont be bought by NBC, ABC, or any other major news networks. But instead be bought by rental houses and cinema guys. I feel the interlaced cameras in the 60k range will slowly die out/drop price. For sports 60p will take over anything interlaced, and thus killing the interlaced chip for a lot of the world.

On the original note of the post, is there anyone out there who owns a 300 and really likes it? haha I'm curious too.

Emmet Brown
05-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Okay, i come back to the original theme.... I live in Germany and bought a HPX 301. My main kind of work is News and Magazine shooting in SD, 16:9.

Im very happy with that camera. I see no problems in SD with noise or skew or something else. Last week i had a shoot at the court and as the lawyer came in, there was a lot of Flashlight from the Photographers... I was scared if i would get problems with the client but the result was much better then i expected. Probably the client didnt see anything problematic, no one asked me.

Its a pleasure to me to work with the 301. I installed a wireless reciever, thats a really great option. The 301 is lightweight ( i have 7 kg with Akku, reciever and headlight ) and very well balanced. And you can shoot many hours with one Accu! ( i have 130 Wh Accus). Even with wireless reciever and sporadically headlight use.

The only thing i could critisize is the wide end of the stock lens, could be a little bit wider and MOD could be better.... But hey, the lens is quasi-free and i can work with it.
Another thing is that a soundman is not able to watch the levelmeter, but that should not be a problem. Match with Test tone and look at the meter by yourself in the VF. And the Soundmen can monitor the Camera-Return. Not a big thing.

To answer your question: Yes, i like the Cam.

Ben Digedig
05-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I wish my car had 100 more horsepower but I'm not willing to pay any more and its still quick enough.

I wish I had a 'Kuro' Pioneer plasma TV, but I'd rather see the world with the $2k I save with my 'good enough' 50" LCD (that has greyish blacks).

Same thing with the cam. My ONLY other choice was an EX3 and I was VERY heavy hearted at that, coming from using 'proper' ENG cameras' professional functionality and needing SD & hating long GOP as an editor.

Maybe you have not seen some stills and pics and links I have here but I think you can get some stunning results, and I'm still on the settings learning curve, but getting there.

My bottom line..I'm delivering better imagery and have far more flexibility in jobs I take and quicker turnaround. I did a 4:2:2 CK NTSC HD job recently, without hiring kit...

I couldnt justify/charge out the Sony PDW700 which I may have preferred for the media format & 2/3".

No regrets - in fact sometimes I actually pinch myself...

BD

Emmet Brown
05-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Jep, thats very important reasons to me for buying this cam: Need SD, have professionell look and feel ( because it IS professionell ), have the option to record HD in better codecs than MPEG2.

zeke
05-19-2009, 09:28 AM
My problem with avc i hd is it sort of dictates which nle you use, unless you convert it to something else, which sort of defeats the purpose if you don't use Avid.
Has anyone here actually tried editing avc intra HD on a timeline? Full raster mpeg2 codecs work in any modern NLE as is and are superior to DVC PRO HD (notice I did not say AVC intra HD).

It was both interesting and amusing to go between the Pana and Sony booth at NAB and see video demos bashing the others codec. hehehe.

What I do like about this camera is the HD SDI out options and the possibility of capturing 10bit 4:2:2 uncompressed.

I would love to see a comparison of the HPX300 and EX3 on the quality of their uncompressed output. That is very important for those doing episodic tv or feature work. I'm betting that is where the 20bit processing of the Pana might help it stand out.
As it stands, because of the rolling shutter issue at 1080/24p many in the NON ENG world are dismissing the camera before seeing it in action.

Thats also why I've arranged for a Panasonic rep with a tech to come to my church to demonstrate the HPX300 combined with a HS400a mixer in our environment before making a decision on what to buy. It was the Pana house of worship manager who offered.
The Sony rep at NAB, just pointed me to a local systems integrater that doesn't anwer calls or email. (This was after I had lunch with the senior acct rep, haven't heard from them since and they had everything we needed to).
Service counts as much a tech to us.
At this point I'm actually hoping the HPX300 can meet our needs. Sony is dropping the ball on what was a done deal with the EX3s.

The only test left will be with the upcoming Datavideo SE-2000 mixer due out in June.

Ben Digedig
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
My problem with avc i hd is it sort of dictates which nle you use, unless you convert it to something else, which sort of defeats the purpose if you don't use Avid.
Has anyone here actually tried editing avc intra HD on a timeline? Full raster mpeg2 codecs work in any modern NLE as is and are superior to DVC PRO HD (notice I did not say AVC intra HD).

Zeke I take it you mean on FCP? You know it is 'there' with Avid already yes? I worship at this altar:beer:!

AVC I is a great 21st century codec yes and my NLE loves it - but it isn't the best front end in the world remember.

BD

zeke
05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I use Vegas and until a 3rd party steps up, AVC I HD is a read only option.
So for now only Avid on Windows PC, unless Adobe has added support.
Maybe when Cineform gets their codec working with Vegas 9 I can convert.

Ben Digedig
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Zeke - ditch the toys. Media Composer is pretty cheap nowadays;). Mind you I had to use Vegas once to get AVC (non I) off some in car cam SD disk PITA obscuro-format. Captured live off a Vegas equipped laptop into Avid; dumb consumer codec solution! BD

David Saraceno
05-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I think it is pretty well evident that AVCIntra will likely be handled natively in the next release of FCP.

That was announced back in September at IBC.

Might be wrong, but that is my recollection.

Barry_Green
05-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I use Vegas and until a 3rd party steps up, AVC I HD is a read only option.
Don't count on Vegas ever supporting it. Maybe through Raylight, but not natively.

So for now only Avid on Windows PC
Nope. EDIUS has fantastic AVC-I support, and Adobe has it in the 4.1 update that's due out in the next couple of weeks. And all the Autodesk apps, like Flame and Inferno and Smoke and Flint. And Quantel and Harris and others. Add Avid on there, and that's pretty much a clean sweep of non-Vegas apps. Plus as David said, FCP is likely to introduce Intra support in their next revision.

videomagician
05-19-2009, 10:04 PM
This is from the discussion group at DVFilm:

"Raylight Ultra has been released as of Feb 23, 2009.

You can upgrade to Ultra for $50. There is a list of new features (highlighted in bold) at "Key Features" here on this page: http://dvfilm.com/raylight/ultra

We recommend everyone upgrade to Raylight Ultra. The old package, although still available by download, will not receive any more bug fixes and will probably not work with the upcoming major releases of Vegas or Windows. Also the upcoming AVC-Intra support and support for 64-bit Vegas will be for Ultra only.

All the features of the old program (including Raylight Green and Yellow modes, etc) are still available in Ultra and as far as we know Ultra is 100% backward compatible (i.e. you can use it to complete projects started with DVFilm Raylight)."

Ben Digedig
05-19-2009, 11:32 PM
>>Raylight The Plug-in for Sony VegasTM allows you to drag P2 MXF files directly into the timeline!<<

That's very impressive!!! MXF files without bin metadata are chocolate teacups in Avid - (i.e. useless!).BD

accelv
05-20-2009, 06:58 AM
How does one get the P2 files into FCP from an HPX300? USB? Firewire? Is there a converter device for P2 cards to interface with a Mac Pro?

Barry_Green
05-20-2009, 07:02 AM
The camera has a USB port, or you can use the PCD20 or PCD35 card readers on the mac Pro.

Ben Digedig
05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
How does one get the P2 files into FCP from an HPX300? USB? Firewire? Is there a converter device for P2 cards to interface with a Mac Pro?

You should use the CMS app from Panasonic - this largely undocumented tool (?) helps manage and move the media about.

I'm still working out the workflow, but today I am editing off a 50 portable HDD via firewire on Avid. I exported the media from the camera direct to the drive via USB, then plugged it into Avid using FW. Brilliant!

I'll copy the media to an EXT archive HDD before I wipe the cards and also the Avid's internal system c: drive stripe 1Tb pair.

BD

zeke
05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Zeke - ditch the toys. Media Composer is pretty cheap nowadays;). Mind you I had to use Vegas once to get AVC (non I) off some in car cam SD disk PITA obscuro-format. Captured live off a Vegas equipped laptop into Avid; dumb consumer codec solution! BD

lol....Dont know the last time you used Vegas, but it is far from a toy. I've been checking out Media Composer 3.5. Vegas does a lot of things that MC doesn't. MC is just now getting things we've had in Vegas for several versions. MC has a few things we don't have in Vegas (gpu acceleration for one...) , but I would probably switch to a FCP or Adobe before switching to Avid MC. In the mean time I can wait for Raylight. I'll make a decision about the camera next Wed after testing at my church.

Barry, thanks for the update. Didn't know about all the others.

Ben Digedig
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I know mate - just being a bit cheeky:) Its a bit ironic really as Avid has never been better (at last) and does many things quickly and really well now. Im not instinctively keen on 'hotch potch' solutions from many suppliers but even the included bundles are also brilliant with Sorensson/DVDit aka Sonic/BorisCC/AvidFX aka Boris RED. But they certainly missed a trick a few years ago... I was mentoring students as part of a job recently - 28 FCP's at the college...

Back to the cam and good luck - I see its shortcomings/compromises at this price point but have no regrets in the type of work I do. Clients love the presence and the pictures so far. Jeez I even picked up a job after putting a video of the kids on Facebook!

D

Emmet Brown
05-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Okay, once again ill get back to the original Theme. I had my second professionell Shoot today with the Cam ( That means i earned money for my work..:-) ). Ive shoot SD, 16:9. And once again i have to say how great this Camera is, espacially at this price point. I didnt much testing/shooting in HD, espacially 1080 25/24p. So maybe there are some issues, i cant say. But in SD, interlaced, the cam is great! Even with Photographers Flashlight in the Scene!

I think in general 25/24p is a problem, isnt it similar to set the shutterspeed to 25/24? For my opinion its a similar effect and you have to work "around" it by slow down your movements.... In my Opinion, that is professionell shooting. If the client wants non professionell "Party/Tourist"-shooting, he have to live with the issues because the style of the picture is obviously not that important as the content. Look at the whole celebrity stuff.... They send Mobilephone-Stuff on Air...

Back to Theme: I love the Cam, its a great tool. And if you love your tool and know how to work with it, you will get great and satisfiying results!

Edit: Just a little note: It was the right time to buy a camera. So i had have to make a decision. In Germany the Stations sends SD, 16:9 on Air. They like "big", shouldermount cameras. Nobody of the decision makers is intersted in further technical details... So: Should i buy a 970 Digibeta with Wideangle-Lens for 60.000 €? Or the 301 including almost satisfiying lens and accessories for 13.000 €? Including the Option to shoot HD in the almost best Codec available at the Moment? Comparing the Price and the capabilities, the 301 is clearly the winner!

jmarkham
06-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Anyone who bought a 300/301/302 and is happy ? I bought mine a week ago and I think it is capable ( in the right hands of course ! ) of producing some very nice images. I came from shooting digi beta and DVCAM ( 450/500/570 ) all of which are nice cameras but on new HD displays or computer displays they weren't cutting it anymore. The HPX302 can look way nicer than any sub 20k camera ought to ! So far I am very pleased however it seems like I am the only one when I read some of these posts, when the ex1's came out the net was full of people saying how wonderful the images are. I have had trouble even finding any nice 300 vision on the net. There are a few video's on vimeo but they look awful. So where are all the other happy 300 owners ?

I, too, am very pleased with the HPX300. I've gotten some really stunning
shots out of it .. far better than my 200's. It's a great camera for
the price-point. Because I mostly do video of presentations (relatively
static), I have not experienced any problems with skewing. If I were a sports
videographer, I might feel otherwise.

I think Panasonic did a bang up job on this camera.

jeff

Ben Digedig
06-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I, too, am very pleased with the HPX300. I've gotten some really stunning
shots out of it .. far better than my 200's. It's a great camera for
the price-point. Because I mostly do video of presentations (relatively
static), I have not experienced any problems with skewing. If I were a sports
videographer, I might feel otherwise.

I think Panasonic did a bang up job on this camera.

jeff

I did end of the lens follow action pans on rally cars the other day (stills up here somewhere) - camera was brilliant (unlike my $1500 tripod - should have spent $3k!). No issues as yet with images like these in 50i DVC Pro in good sunlight.

I posted some 720 25P derived stills on a car forum the other day - people were asking me what SLR I used... What a compliment.:)

D

eureka
06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
love to see those pics??

Ben Digedig
06-05-2009, 03:42 AM
love to see those pics??

Here you go - other than first two that I sharpened in Photobucket (mistake...) all raw as is from cam:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/0004J1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/0030IN.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/000161.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/0010F4.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/0013IK.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/0030I8.jpg

CA QUITE NOTICABLE AND UGLY HERE - BUT THEN I SEE CA EVERY DAY ON TV FROM LENSES COSTING MORE THAN THIS WHOLE CAM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/00405R.jpg

I'm cutting a short film from it now. and will stick it on our Exposure Room page by Sunday.

Cheers

BD

Martins Video
06-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Brand new to the forum.

I just bought a HPX300 and am VERY Happy.

I researched for about 2 months the differences between the EX3 & the HPX300. Went to NAB 09, came back and weighed all my options.

There are a lot of things to think about when buying another camera. Up to now I was using a Sony FX! and have made a lot of money with that camera. But I wanted to kick my company up to better quality and workflow.

Now as you all know, when you buy a camera there's all the other STUFF. Mics, batteries, monitors, stacks of cables that you have acquired etc.

I had already tricked out my FX1 with Zacuto gear, had dual Pro-X batteries (and chargers), wireless mics, and on and on.

With the EX3 you have to buy more new batteries that fit that camera. That's a lot of money right there. The extra lenses you buy only work on that cable. And most cables are proprietary also.

Now, if I get the HPX300, I reuse my $1,500.00 of batteries & charging unit by buying a 89.00 V-mount adapter from B & H to go on the back of the camera. I now have the option of buying Fujinon or Canon 2/3" high end lenses buy buying a $700.00 (or so) adapter. So, when I upgrade someday to a 2/3" camera those lenses don't become paper weights. Extra Sony lenses would. I made a simple little aluminum bracket that mounts on the HPX300 handle and now I can use my $2,000.00 worth of wireless mics. And now with P2 "E" series cards coming out that are fast & cheap.....well those things right there make the EX1 not even an option. It also was to plasticy for me, I didn't like the way that little shoulder pad worked either.

The 300 is a fantastic camera so far. Of course for me entering into the P2 workflow and all the menu options that you have has been and still is a learning curve. I'm still having issues with the "E" Series P2 cards. Wasn't sure where to post the question so I put it here.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1656402#post1656402

Would love some help here. I'm stuck.

But I've read on this website all the critics of the 300 skew and so on and I'll tell ya this is a fantastic camera. We shoot mostly corporate work and we do a lot a comical parody's.

So, in buying a camera I think it's prudent to consider all the things that it will effect after taking a full inventory of where you are now, where you are going and what do you have that is reusable.

That's my 2 cents.

Martins Video
06-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Oh, and did I forget to mention TECH SUPPORT?

Panasonic TS is superb compared to Sony. I've owned both and there's no comparison.

And I don't know about you but that's important to me.

dangerd
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I own a 300 and love it. The initial presets sucked but a little tweaking fixed that. Now I get great footage! On the down side the lens does breath a little bit, but what do you want for what might as well be free. Over all this camera is great.
The 10 bit 422 is nice to have in color correction.

Jan_Crittenden
06-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Here you go - other than first two that I sharpened in Photobucket (mistake...) all raw as is from cam:

CA QUITE NOTICABLE AND UGLY HERE - BUT THEN I SEE CA EVERY DAY ON TV FROM LENSES COSTING MORE THAN THIS WHOLE CAM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/sony_sofa/00405R.jpg

Cheers

BD

If you are referencing that blue, that is not CA, that is some flare within the lens. CA normally shows up as either a green or magenta fringe. We actually have much higher level camera's video that had this blue phenom and with a bit of investigation it narrowed to a coating on the lens. Of course not having that coating on the lens would make it even worse and that lens cost more than this camera and lens.

Best,

Jan

Ben Digedig
06-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Hi Jan - very happy to be corrected but I percieved the CA to be the slight shadow between the top of the mountain and the blue sky. Also the heavy purple on the right edge of the top slate on the chimney, as well as the slate at centre bottom of frame. Are you certain that this is 'flare' despite having my large matte box on for these shots?

Previously I though CA was green or purple fringing (mostly on sharp high luminace transitions) and this above looks similar to what I dial out on RAW files from my SLR in Photoshop.

Cheers

BD

Jan_Crittenden
06-08-2009, 05:04 AM
That purple is the blue I was referencing in my post. On the very top along the horizontal plane of the chimney there is a pinkish hue, barely noticibale, that is CA. The heavy thick line of glob, bluish/purple on the vertical, is not CA. It is flare caused by the coatings on the lenses, and I don't believe there is a filter that can defeat it. That is not CA. If it were, the entire vertical edge of that chimney would have a magenta color edge. CA is a thin line in general, not globby and would apper on all edges at the same distance plane. Take a look at the very lower right of the frame, move to the horizontal plane on the third rock over to the left, there is a small tinge of pink along the top of the rock's left plane, barely noticable. That would be CA.

And you are right, it would be on high contrast transitions, but it would be on all high contrast transitions in the same plane. That slight shadow at the mountain sky edge could be CA, but the fact that it is blue and not pink or green gives me doubt. And I believe if you were to focus on it, the mountain ridge, it is possible that line would go away, because of the focusing.

Best,

Jan

Ben Digedig
06-08-2009, 05:20 AM
Very interesting and probably explains why I said in an earlier post that CAC didnt seen that effective to me. It is clear we now need FAC too ;-)

BD

Jan_Crittenden
06-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Very interesting and probably explains why I said in an earlier post that CAC didnt seen that effective to me. It is clear we now need FAC too ;-)

The thing is that this coating thing is incidental to the situation The coatings do not always respond the same way, but it is something that without the coatings would be even more severe. I have seen even more,way more, expensive lenses do it. As I said earlier we have a video and the lens cost close to $37,000 and it is doing this on the flames on the candles.

Best,

Jan

Ben Digedig
06-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Here's the video that goes with those stills http://exposureroom.com/49d9a1066cbb480190973d452cd89ac3/

My 800Mb H264 MP4 has been squashed down to 40Mb on Exposure room's HD service but still maintains 1280x720.

I had absolutely no noise/crawl issues on this work with my (published elsewhere here) settings.

D

Barry_Green
06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
I just saw Kevin Railsback's Africa footage projected on a 20' screen at a workshop I conducted in Malaysia. Absolutely stunning, first-class, amazing, fantastic.