PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get felliniesque costumes?

filmman
05-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm shooting FELLINI DIRECTS AGAIN! in June of 2009 and I'm wondering if you can come up with a super suggestion as to where and how can I get fantastic costumes ala Fellini Satyricon and 8 and a 1/2?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sad Max
05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
8-1/2 hit vintage stores.

Satyricon build them yourself, or find someone with basic seamstering skills. IIRC most of the costumes in Satyricon are robes, loincloths, and drapes. Relatively easy to construct and/or drape.

filmman
05-15-2009, 08:23 PM
lol. thanks for your answer. it was a good one. even better are your qualifications :-) so what will it cost me to have someone like you work with me for a day? how big a crew do you need to create a big scene like that? props, costumes, sets, etc.

i know this is not a fair question, but if you're not too put out by it and can answer it in a lighthearted spirit, maybe you can give me a ballpark idea....

Sad Max
05-16-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure which 'big scene like that' you have in mind. But to set up any of the most complex staging from either 8 1/2 or Satyricon would run into the several tens of thousands of dollars and require a crew of 15-20, per. Boats, show cars, locations, construction, rigging, painting, costuming, ageing, dyeing.

Of course there are also scenes in both films that could be executed very inexpensively. But those aren't what I usually think of, as 'big scenes.'

Alas I'm presently double-dipping and don't have hours available for a third project.

filmman
05-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for giving me an idea. Actually, lots of idea :-)

djkarn105
05-22-2009, 11:51 AM
You're in burbank?
I'd hit up the fashion schools in the LA area.
FIDM, OTIS, I know CSULB has a fashion dept. just off the top of my head.

filmman
05-22-2009, 04:57 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look them up and give them a call.