PDA

View Full Version : Gh1 = $1899cad

Dingos8mybaby
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Sweet. June 1st release. Finally something equal to the Panny America release.

Prices from Vistek in Toronto.

Link (w/ no pic...strange):

http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/244068/panasonic-lumix-dmcg1h-black-micro-fourthirds-dslr-w-14140-lens.aspx

Looks like someone's getting a new toy to play with. :D

Nighthawk
05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Me too. Just pre-ordered. Now for some lens shopping. I feel queazy.

BrianMurphy
05-13-2009, 05:52 PM
As did I! Fred got my pre order a few days ago!

PaPa
05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
as wonderful as this is, i think im still going to go with the D90 / D5000 until the scarlet comes out. If i had the cash i would go for the Panasonic, but at almost double the price it doesnt seem worth it with the 2x crop, pulldown issue and the fact that i won't be using either of these cameras for really serious work.

Still wouldn't mind owning one of em though :) camera looks sweet as hell! Be sure to post tons of stuff when it's in your hands!

Kholi
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
as wonderful as this is, i think im still going to go with the D90 / D5000 until the scarlet comes out. If i had the cash i would go for the Panasonic, but at almost double the price it doesnt seem worth it with the 2x crop, pulldown issue and the fact that i won't be using either of these cameras for really serious work.

Thanks for letting us know, man.

PaPa
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
You're welcome Kholi :) I do like to share my feelings with you guys. Hope that's alright, considering this is a forum to express ideas, thoughts, information, etc..

But on the other side, no need to be rude.

cheers!

Good ol dvxuser.

squig
05-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Still wouldn't mind owning one of em though :) camera looks sweet as hell! Be sure to post tons of stuff when it's in your hands!

papa I sold my D90 last week after months of pain and looking like a moron waving it around in the air and wearing a bag over my head and having to stop everything when it decided to shut down without warning and waiting for it to cool down and lets not even go down the jello road......shall I go on.

Yes I still have a thing for the aesthetic look of the pictures but it really pained me comparing my stills to my movies. The GH1 with a bit of effort will have that warmth of the D90. Bloom's desert stills demonstrate this and I think Kholi is about to blow your mind. If money is an issue sell the kit lens.

PaPa
05-13-2009, 06:54 PM
lol, ya, there are definiately drawbacks to the D90. That i understand and i have seen some footage that kholi has posted that definitely makes me reconsider the whole latitude/blownout issues. But im just wondering if it would maybe be wiser, if i don't plan on shooting any serious projects, to hold out a little longer and take a little nikon with me on trips and such. I do still have a thing for the pani thought, and that canadian price looks mighty tasty.

Tought decision, that's for sure.. Won't make any choices yet on any hand.

Basically, to have a working GH1. I would need to purchase

1) the cam @ 1900 CAD
2) some sort of wide lens , and i believe the Olympus was recommended in another thread
3) memory cards and batteries.
My guess is that a running cam would bring me to around 3000 $

Still trying to wrap my head around the bit rate issues at the wide end of hte lens as well as bit rate issues when panning. Still haven't seen footage or completely understood the issues there.

But again, if i don't plan on doing any serious shooting, or maybe holding out for the Scarlet, do you think it would be a wise purchase? Not that i won't be doing any shooting, but nothing in the works right at this moment. I am a sucker for new toys too so, that's a bias in the decision making hehe.

squig
05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
oh and keep in mind that most of the guys doing serious work with the D90 had to buy 2 of them as I would have if I had of chosen to shoot my film with it.

squig
05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Who knows the D400 or the Pentax K-7 out next week could be the shit......but right now the GH1 is the toy for the cool kids

PaPa
05-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Out next week? I assume you mean in the next coming little while? hehe, don't get me excited here!

yeah, won't disagree with that one. One could always wait. Well, i have until the Beginning of August to make my choice as my trip is August 25th-sept1st. Let's see what crawls through the cracks by then!

Kholi
05-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Sounds like the 35mm Adapter wars all over again. People jumping into threads and forums to let everyone know what they're going to purchase.

Justify your purchase by buying it and using it.

PaPa
05-13-2009, 07:13 PM
that's definitely true, but i am in no means trying to start a "war". I'm merely unsure about where to place my money thats all. And since only a few of you have had your hands on the cam and not much footage is available at the moment, its difficult to justify any decision. adapters had tons of stuff out there and still people were up in the air as to what get.

Anywho, back on topic. Decent price. but going to wait a little more before i decide on the panasonic.

And Kholi, from looking at your lady shopping footage, i really like the quality you are getting there. Seems less contrasty then the stock stuff and the whites are a more pleasant gradation from bright to blow out. Did you customize any image settings in cam or in post?

squig
05-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Pentax K-7 is out next week, the specs are all rumored at this point.

PaPa
05-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Very interesting. Never even thought about Pentax when it came to the video world. Guess well see what they deliver.

squig
05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
It's a wild card entry but you're limited to pentax k mount lenses for a start.

Rolly
05-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Just pre-order mine from Vistek. Now let's just hope it will be available june 1 like they said.

Nighthawk
05-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Just pre-order mine from Vistek. Now let's just hope it will be available june 1 like they said.

Pre-ordered yesterday. Just got a notice of a 4-6 week backorder. Doing the math June 1st seems unlikely but maybe that's the way they deal with all pre-orders.

DonalDuc
05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Who knows the D400 or the Pentax K-7 out next week could be the shi*......but right now the GH1 is the toy for the cool kids

GH1 and K-7 ... in Europe ... near same price ! K-7 ~ 1500 ! :(

Now GH1 is listed with amazon.de for 1550

DonalDuc
05-14-2009, 10:05 AM

http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Pentax-K7-kommt

http://www.photoscala.de/grafik/2009/Pentax-K7-kommt.jpg

LoganMackay
05-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Ordered my GH1 yesterday at Mcbain Camera here in Edmonton @ 1993.95 with tax.

pawpaw
05-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I thought the camera's suggested retail price of $1499.95. Why are people paying so much. Is it do to the change in currency? http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=347245&modelNo=Content05052009080533730&surfModel=Content05052009080533730

BrianMurphy
05-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Prices are + or - a few dollars here in Canada but all slightly under 2k. Mine was $1849.00 from Vistek Toronto.
pawpaw the Canadian dollar is listed at .85 US and then there is the cost of money another couple percent...so it works out the same as the USA.

LoganMackay
05-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Yep, Canadian dollar is not currently on par so we get a much higher price.

pawpaw
05-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

Justyn
05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Lots of exciting advances with this and yet so many are waiting for the Scarlet. I've been so repeatedly disappointed with that company that I've waiting to see if and when they deliver. They call it transparancy in their dealings.. but it seems more like fanning the flames and the buzz and hype. I also think that they might be loosing their momentum when others are doing it now and for cheaper. Who knows.. but maybe Canon will come out with a serious imaging cam or what not.

I know this is a rant, but its such vaporware and they've been changing things so much but it usually enters into each and every discussion. I'd like them to put up or shut up!

BrianMurphy
05-17-2009, 04:48 AM
I am thrilled to be getting another camera from Panasonic that I can work with and that like the HMC150 is pushing the envelope a bit. Like you Justyn and many others I was an early follower of Red and though in the beginning it was overkill for the work I was doing in politics I followed with great interest. When Jannard announced Scarlet and the new upgraded version of Red I was certain I would be buying one and hung in there for a long time.When I complained one time that everytime I went to the "NEWS" thread of Scarlet User there was NO NEWS! I was allowed to voice my complaint and the thread was promptly shut down after ten or so responses by one of the mods who is a mod here too. I was told more or less if I wasn't happy I should be quiet or go and play elsewhere. Well I did I came back to DVXUser and DVInfo and just let it go.
I checked it the other day before buying my GH1 and there was still NO NEWS. Well not true exactly, Jim Jannard was getting married. I wish them best of luck and a long and happy life.
Over the past year or so I have spoken with serveral owners in Montreal and Toronto and recently another out of the country. Some are committed to their investment and the future with Red. Many just want to pay it off and get rid of it. The field recording issues are awkward and the workflow a pain for most other than big budget large productions. Perhaps thats where Jannard wants to be and Red belongs, big budget only.
I am not here to put down Jannard or Red. I wish them luck and hope perhaps one day there will be a camera on the market that does everything that has been promised and it is a reliable product that works first time and everytime. I also hope that they will do something to discourage the "Clique" attitude that is predominant in the user group. It is hardly in the spirit of free speech and does nothing to encourage support. Those who are commonly referred to as "fanboys" have a right to their dreams and what they consider to be "input to the design" as much as others a right to complain.
I did what everybody should do about Scarlet. I went out and bought a camera that works and pays my rent. As a matter of fact I bought three. If Scarlet ever comes out and those of us who are not "anointed" are allowed to cue up to buy one. I will wait and see if it really works as promised.
Thats a rant Justyn!
Murph

Justyn
05-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Well it might be, but a justified one? Its the fanboy attitude that permeates everything and gets them into discussions that are about tangible products and not just something that's conjecture. It's kind of like what happened when that company was going to produce something to compete with the firestore.. Forgot the name... So many people held off and coverted it, delayed buying cause of an undelivered promise.

That's all it is. I am happy with what I've purchased and I believe in what you said about getting what is needed, but the idea is something that they've put into people's heads.. That it WILL be better when they get around to delivering it.

That's all.. rant over! Its now about real world deliveries and getting what's best for the price and what will work. Either way, I'm not going to be buying the Letus anymore. Why do that when this cam might be almost as good a combo and I get a still camera to boot.

Nighthawk
05-17-2009, 07:34 AM
As far as worldwide and Canadian availability is concerned I have one worry; the low production numbers that Panasonic announced. It was claimed that they would only be putting out 5000 units/month. Imagining that there are quite a few pre-orders globally I'm a little concerned that back orders will be the rule of thumb for the initial release. Has anybody heard if 'supply and demand' is an issue? I start my shoot in July with this camera or without it but I want this camera.

LoganMackay
05-17-2009, 07:49 AM
I was told mid-June here.

BrianMurphy
05-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Same here Logan, I was told the same as Nighthawk, mid June and possibly, just possibly in the first week. But who knows. Pre-bought my HMC150 last summer and got it mid of October. I am really hoping I get it before June 14th which is when I leave on a two week shoot and I could really use it as a second camera and as a still camera.
I also suspect you are right Nighthawk there will probably be a shortage for a while. Especially with all the buzz around it and the release coming for Europe in a week or so according to Phil's blog.

LoganMackay
05-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Good news for me though, I was the first pre-order from this company.

Nighthawk
05-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Same here Logan, I was told the same as Nighthawk, mid June and possibly, just possibly in the first week. But who knows. Pre-bought my HMC150 last summer and got it mid of October. I am really hoping I get it before June 14th which is when I leave on a two week shoot and I could really use it as a second camera and as a still camera.
I also suspect you are right Nighthawk there will probably be a shortage for a while. Especially with all the buzz around it and the release coming for Europe in a week or so according to Phil's blog.

Check this link out to 4/3 Rumors. Sounds like my 5000 units/month figure was more than a little optimistic. I'm starting to get very nervous. Looks like I may be renting a cam for my shoot unless I'm at the front of the line and I know I'm not.

Brian, from your experience with Vistek are they pretty straightforward about order status and ETAs etc.?

http://43rumors.com/gh1-release-date-june-12th/

Another thread has picked up on this. Seems the 2000 units/month may just be for the U.S. alone.

BrianMurphy
05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I can only say that Fred Konkin and his team at Vistek Toronto have never BS's me in the 10 years I have dealt with them. Fred told me last week that Panasonic Canada said:
"what we got from Panasonic was within a month. More than that I can't say."
Let's face it, sales people are more than anxious to get them on and off the shelves and when I bought my HMC from Fred he told me when he expected it and he was right + or - a day.

Nighthawk
05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Just off the phone with Vistek (Toronto) and they are now saying end of June and that if on the pre-order list I'd be fine. End of June? Hope that's the worse case scenario. Brian, have you had further updates?

Dzip
05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I just pre-ordered one at Vistek too. They say end of june.

BrianMurphy
05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I have not heard anymore from Vistek on delivery date. I will give them a call this week I need to order something else from them and will ask.

Nighthawk
05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
A small independent supplier I've talked to was just off the phone with the Panny people. Shipment being sent to him June 23. Arrival just before or just after Canada Day. For those who dealt directly with Panasonic you might have it before June expires. I told this supplier about DVXuser and he was astounded by our interest. Having a still camera clientele he had been receiving a lukewarm reception to the GH1 from that particular crowd and really didn't know of the video crowd's interest. He does now.

Sans Soleil
06-22-2009, 10:12 AM
In case anyone around Vancouver still doesn't know... Leo's Camera regularly has stocks coming in. They are usually sold on the same day they arrive. The price is $1824 CAD. I almost purchased one but decided to change my mind. I would rather go for the D90 or K7.

LoganMackay
06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
lol why?

Vascilli
06-22-2009, 06:10 PM
The downtown Vistek here in Calgary had two as of a few days ago. The first was sold within minutes apparently, and the second one was a demo but hadn't been put in the cabinet yet. I got to toy around with it a little. I'm very impressed.