PDA

View Full Version : Selling my DVX in favor of the GH1

Mike Manning
05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
My DVX is basically collecting dust at this point. The last few projects I shot, I've rented HiDef... and I've never owned a DSLR before (but always wanted!).

I figure I got 3 years of use out of my DVX... but at this point I'd be more inclined to use the GH-1in both still and video recording capacities....

What do you guys think? Good or bad idea?

Boz
05-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Depends on your shooting habits and what you intended output target is. If you shoot lots of 30P then GH1 is an easy choice. If your target is only web work, it might be better to stick with your DVX. I'm sure others here will throw in lots of pro's & con's for each side as well.

Casalen
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
The GH1 is a better value in some ways, but not in others. As was said, it depends what you want. While you can get better image quality with the GH1, the form factor might not work for you. Or it will. And keep in mind your audio workflow.

Mike Manning
05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Well to give you an example of the last thing I used my DVX for...

I shot a music video on a rented HVX that took place in a security guard's office with a bunch of monitors.... The footage on the security monitors was shot on my DVX and composited in After Effects during post. Effects were applied to it to make look like the grainy, crappy footage you usually see on security monitors.

That was the first time I've used my DVX in a cool 6 months (the last time being for some behind the scenes footage on my friends film production). So basically, I used my DVX to replicate crappy looking footage.

My feeling is that if I'm gonna use my DVX for throw away footage... I might as well be doing it on another camera. Further, I've always wanted a DSLR... and find myself borrowing friend's cameras all the time. So with the GH1... I feel like I get my DSLR while not leaving me incapable of recording video when I need it.

But I'm talking about the GH1 like the video mode is a cheap feature... cuz it's not. I (like many of you) am really impressed by the video capabilities the GH1 possesses and could totally see myself using it for small short film projects. My last film (A Work of Art) we recorded sound double system anyway, so 'm not too bothered by its audio capabilities. I'm also fed up with the recording to tape.... capturing in HD has been such a pleasant experience, I feel bothered any time I have to deal with MiniDVs tapes.

Anyway... I'm taking like my mind is made up, but I'm really trying to get some legitimate feedback before I sell my baby. Hopefully this post helps put it in better context.

Casalen
05-13-2009, 03:49 PM
With your details, I see no reason not to sell the DVX. You'll barely be losing cash but will be getting a great value. The crop factor can be a big deal for still photography, which is why I'm not ordering one so far, but if you can deal with that, maybe get the right lenses, it's an excellent choice.

The DVX is superior in its shape, ease of access to controls, things like that, but it's a machine of yesterday. As great as it may be, the footage you get no longer matters all that much compared to what you could be getting with something new.

Mike Manning
05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
What do you mean by "crop factor"?

Nighthawk
05-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Was in the same position you are. Just sold mine to pay for the GH1. No looking back now but I'm going to miss a lot of the features the Gh1 lacks, audio being a big part of that not to mention learning a brand new work flow but, as stated, the DVX is quickly being relegated to being a tool of the past.

bronxjragon
05-14-2009, 05:58 AM
same, just junked my d90 in favor of this

Alan Bradley
05-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Crop factor means this. A Full Frame DSLR (ie MKII) sensor size is 36x24mm. An APS-C sized DSLR (ie, D90) has a 25x17mm sensor. 4/3'rd system (ie, GH1) has a 18x13.5mm sensor. So for example, a 50mm Nikon lens will be 50mm on an MKII, about 80mm on a D90 and about 100mm on a GH1. The D90 multiplies the lens field of view by 1.6x and the GH1 by roughly 2x. So non full frame sensor's will use smaller portions of the overall lens. The middle. So my 35mm and 50mm have just now become 70mm and 100mm on the coming GH1. Also I think the f-value doubles on the GH1 as well. Someone else can verify this but I think my Nikon 50mm F/1.4 will become a 100mm F/2.8 on the GH1. Finding wide enough lenses for "price" could be one possible issue. Unless the Panasonic 7-14mm is reasonable, we're left with 4/3's specific lenses like the Olympus 7-14mm which looks sweet but is $1800! Which would be okay if I could use it for a future DSLR, evolutionary, unkown body, but can't because it's made for 4/3's specific format. Hope my ramble helped.

Tim Joy
05-14-2009, 08:11 AM
One thing to consider is the Audio. With the dvx, it's easy to plug in a shotgun and mount it on the cam, phantom powered...etc The GH-1/ D90/ 5D= not so easy.

Mike Manning
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Crop factor means this. A Full Frame DSLR (ie MKII) sensor size is 36x24mm. An APS-C sized DSLR (ie, D90) has a 25x17mm sensor. 4/3'rd system (ie, GH1) has a 18x13.5mm sensor. So for example, a 50mm Nikon lens will be 50mm on an MKII, about 80mm on a D90 and about 100mm on a GH1. The D90 multiplies the lens field of view by 1.6x and the GH1 by roughly 2x. So non full frame sensor's will use smaller portions of the overall lens. The middle. So my 35mm and 50mm have just now become 70mm and 100mm on the coming GH1. Also I think the f-value doubles on the GH1 as well. Someone else can verify this but I think my Nikon 50mm F/1.4 will become a 100mm F/2.8 on the GH1. Finding wide enough lenses for "price" could be one possible issue. Unless the Panasonic 7-14mm is reasonable, we're left with 4/3's specific lenses like the Olympus 7-14mm which looks sweet but is $1800! Which would be okay if I could use it for a future DSLR, evolutionary, unkown body, but can't because it's made for 4/3's specific format. Hope my ramble helped.

Surprisingly enough, I was able to follow that! I'm not trying to be photographer-extraordinaire here, but I think it would be nice have a decent SLR as I would use it more often than my DVX. So no, the crop-factor won't bother me.

One thing to consider is the Audio. With the dvx, it's easy to plug in a shotgun and mount it on the cam, phantom powered...etc The GH-1/ D90/ 5D= not so easy.

I typically record double system anyway, so I'm not too worried about that.

chris f
05-15-2009, 11:26 PM
blindbuzta, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm considering selling my DVX100a and my Nikon D70 to buy a DSLR camera with video, looking hard at the GH1.

I use my DVX strictly for documentary work (interviews and b-roll). I'd love to upgrade to the look and HD quality of the GH1 but am a little concerned with the versatility of the GH1. I imagine I'd need a fast zoom lens to be able to run and gun, which looks like that might double the cost of the cam. I guess I'll stay on the sidelines for another couple of months and see what options are available.

arrestthisman
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
You can always buy a beachtek XLR adapter (200$). And an ME66 shotgun mic with power capsule (260$?), and mount it all on the camera for pro quality audio.

There are other options but if you want pro-quality sync sound in-cam it's an excellent solution. The AC-3 codec is lossless to my ears, so no worries there.

I loved my DVX, but face it, the NOW is HD. The future is HD + who knows what. I do predict it will take longer for 4k delivery to catch on. That combined with the fact that 4k projectors/displays, generally display 2k better than a 2k native projector.

The gist is that we'll likely be working in 1080p/2k for a long long time. 4k will be relegated to IMAX and big budget films.

The DVX was good enough for most stuff, and being progressive scan, probably could still be used, but it's a bit soft.

I just bought an HMC150, but had I not, I would be heavily considering the GH1. I do prefer the CCD over a CMOS chip. not saying it's better, just a personal preference. So that is something to think about.

Anyway you cut it there aren't many "bad" options out there. We've kind of hit a quality plateau amongst sub-10k cameras. So I'm hanging on to my HMC150 until something comes out that is Smaller, drastically higher quality in resolution and compression, and has a workflow just as easy as the SD cards to FCP.

$0.02

Ben_B
08-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Congratulations, you've taken your first step into a larger world.