PDA

View Full Version : Metering w. GH1

tomk358
05-11-2009, 10:12 AM
So how do you set the proper exposure with the GH1-
is there histogram during video, or zebras?

Do tell.

PappasArts
05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
So how do you set the proper exposure with the GH1-
is there histogram during video, or zebras?

Do tell.

I was wondering this too.

Ian-T
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
me 3

AdrianF
05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
If you're shooting with a non communicating lens, then you will have to set the aperture on the lens, from the manual meter reading in camera or use Aperture Priority if you don't mind the Shutter speed changing. If you're shooting with a compatible four thirds/ m4/3 lens, then you should be able to shoot in shutter priority etc.

Is this what you mean?

Ian-T
05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
No ..I guess I'm asking about visual metering like how camcorders have zebras to show you where the picture is blown out...and or a histogram. I know it has a histogram...but is it available while shooting...and how about zebras etc.

Rick Rock
05-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I'd just use a light meter personally.

AdrianF
05-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Okay, I'm with you. Well, Rick just said it, I think I would just go with the light meter and expose that way. When I shoot stills, I only use the histogram occasionally after I've taken a shot, if I'm a little unsure of exposure. It would be cool though if it had live and adjustable zebra, hadn't thought of that.

PappasArts
05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Most SLR's have basic forms of light meters in them. A plus or minus line with ---- 0 ---- in the center to aid manual modes.

Anyways on page 91 of the manual there is a description of the ( Manual Exposure Assistance ) meter.It looks like this { -3--- 0 ---+3 } Center being what the camera assumes in proper. Good enough for me. If I need more than that; Mr. Sekonic comes out to play.....

Pappas

morgan_moore
05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Okay, I'm with you. Well, Rick just said it, I think I would just go with the light meter and expose that way. When I shoot stills, I only use the histogram occasionally after I've taken a shot, if I'm a little unsure of exposure. It would be cool though if it had live and adjustable zebra, hadn't thought of that.

As a pro stills shooter I rarely use the meter at all - just take a test shot and check the histo for every set up - it is THE tool for correct exposure

on my EX1 the live histo is my exposure tool too

that this is/may be missing on VDSLRs is a big downer IMO

S

divide
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd like some precision about this too... Kholi, Philip, SonicState ?

PappasArts
05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Going through the manual more; there is indeed Histogram and varying setups with it in custom settings.

Martti Ekstrand
05-11-2009, 03:06 PM
This page shows in two places a moveable histogram in liveview and if I recall correctly from some of the video previews in January it was mentioned that it's available in video mode as are most of the liveview functions.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/liveview.html

Ian-T
05-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I do remember them advertising a "live" histogram in this cam. Just didn't know if it was in picture mode or video mode or both. That feature I think would be helpful.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
05-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I do remember them advertising a "live" histogram in this cam. Just didn't know if it was in picture mode or video mode or both. That feature I think would be helpful.

Wouldn't it be great if Panasonic made the final release version of the GH1's English user manual available for download? :)

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/images/attach/jpg.gifgh1_histogram.jpg (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=11004&stc=1&d=1242087891)

John Caballero
05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Boy, I guess Panasonic put a lot of effort into this camera. I am sure that digging deeper into its menus will bring out a lot better quality to the footage. Can't wait.

Ian-T
05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
:undecided....psst....I knew that Mr. DeCRescenzo...

Ok...so I got the manual from Mr. B and didn't look it all the way through....

xbourque
05-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I played with the GH1 last week-end at a local photo trade show.

There is definitely a tiny live histogram on screen.

I'm having a hard time remembering if it stayed on screen while recording though... I think it did.

I am a big fan of zebras though. Put that in the suggestion bin for the GH2.

-- X

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
05-11-2009, 06:19 PM
No worries, Ian-T. I wasn't knocking you that's for sure.

I just wish Panasonic would make the manual available to everyone! :-)