PDA

View Full Version : GH1 with PL mount (and anamorphics)

Hunter Hampton
05-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Finally my PL mount showed up. Now I can use my anamorphics! Here is my take on a digital directors viewfinder. Sorry, I got excited!

Kholi
05-08-2009, 04:34 PM
It has begun!!

inCREDIBLE. OMFG.

How's the footage!!?!

Ian-T
05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
AAWWWw MANNN!!!! You just answered one of my thoughts. Please...footage please. This camera is scary!!!

PappasArts
05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow awesome.

Very very very very bitchin hunter!

Hunter is that a Lomo 2x Anamorphic? If so are you cropping the sides? Seriously you need to get your hands on some of the Hawk 1.33x lenses ( rental of course ). They are sweet. With the 16x9 sensor coupled with
a 1.33x Hawk, you get 2:37:1......

The PL mount looks well machined. Is this going to be a marketed adapter? If so ,holy-S, this is going to lead things to a whole new level. PL mount on a 1,500 dollar camera, unheard of. Greatness indeed!

Pappas

squig
05-08-2009, 05:18 PM
anamorphic!

I think I just wet myself

Park Edwards
05-08-2009, 05:29 PM
you didn't crop anything in post did you? i think with the RED, not absolute here, that you have to shoot in 3k and crop the rest in post.

Hunter Hampton
05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah you have to crop a bit of the sides, you need a ~1.2:1 aspect sensor when shooting 2x anamorphics to get the proper "2.35:1" (2.39:1) image. If you dont crop you end up with a 3.56:1 ULTRA WIDE aspect when shooting 16:9.

About footage; I will try to shoot something more substantial than test footage and then post it.

Hunter Hampton
05-08-2009, 05:38 PM
The PL mount looks well machined. Is this going to be a marketed adapter? If so ,holy-S, this is going to lead things to a whole new level.

I think its just the first run of it, I am going to give the maker feedback on how to make it better for the GH1. Its about $350- not my project at all, just a smart guy I bought the lenses from.

PappasArts
05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah you have to crop a bit of the sides, you need a ~1.2:1 aspect sensor when shooting 2x anamorphics to get the proper "2.35:1" (2.39:1) image. If you dont crop you end up with a 3.56:1 ULTRA WIDE aspect when shooting 16:9.

About footage; I will try to shoot something more substantial than test footage and then post it.

Hopefully you can get your hands on some 1.33x Hawks for trial, no cropping needed.

The math: 1.33xAna X 1.78( 16x9 sensor ) = 2.3674 > round up > 2.3700 = 2.37.1

Of course, I have never seen 3:56:1, how does look? Does the video hold up? That could be some sort of special kinda look for some projects.. Crazy panoramic stuff..

dadoboy
05-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Crazy. Like putting 18" alloy wheels on a VW bug.
If we're going to PL and anamorphic land, I would hope anyone who comes out with a commercial PL adapter for this little wonder builds it to a tolerance where we can back focus and account for any discrepancies in focus mark calibration. Not likely to happen but it looks like a fun project.

Hunter Hampton
05-08-2009, 05:52 PM
A set of hawks would be in excess of $250,000, I dont think I can afford the rental on that- which is why I bought the LOMOs. ; )

3.56:1 is a VERY VERY wide screen look. A little too wide if your not just shooting landscapes. I do like 3:1 quite a but though.

ChipG
05-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Sweeeeeeet!

William_Robinette
05-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Footage or it didn't happen.

ecking
05-08-2009, 06:02 PM
A 4/3 to PL adapter exists? Or did you fashion it yourself?

Hunter Hampton
05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Its actually a Leica M- PL adapter (there is a lecia M - m4/3 adapter behind it) I am going to recommend that he just makes a strait up m4/3 adapter.

Steve Castle
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
This is fantastic!

Whenever these are available please inform us where we can get them.

PappasArts
05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
A set of hawks would be in excess of $250,000, I dont think I can afford the rental on that- which is why I bought the LOMOs. ; )

3.56:1 is a VERY VERY wide screen look. A little too wide if your not just shooting landscapes. I do like 3:1 quite a but though.

Not to own, just to rent. I don't know your rental house's in your area, however in LA there are a few you can go to and load up a camera for testing. That would be awesome to see on that little guy.

Maybe we can get some of the AIG/stimulus money and get some Hawks........ :)

AdrianF
05-09-2009, 04:19 AM
That flare looks really buff. When RED first announced that they were going to produce a pocket camera, this is kind of what I imagined.

androoow
05-09-2009, 04:46 AM
are you trying to disguise your camera with the black tape over the lumix , GH1 and HD symbols or are you just pretending your G1 is a GH1 to feel good???? :shocked:
:D

dcloud
05-09-2009, 06:33 AM
yeah love the orange shot. anamorphic!

Hunter Hampton
05-09-2009, 10:28 AM
are you trying to disguise your camera with the black tape over the lumix , GH1 and HD symbols or are you just pretending your G1 is a GH1 to feel good???? :shocked:

I have a habit of taping off logos on cameras. Its a GH1.

dvpixl
05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a habit of taping off logos on cameras. Its a GH1.

but the "L" is ok.

Hunter Hampton
05-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I like the little "L".

Finster
05-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Check out the latest entry on ProLost (http://prolost.com/blog/2009/5/9/would-you-like-a-little-camera-with-your-mount.html) ...

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s169/jwfinster/SmallPL.jpg

PappasArts
05-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Check out the latest entry on ProLost (http://prolost.com/blog/2009/5/9/would-you-like-a-little-camera-with-your-mount.html) ...

Instead of what mount do you have on your camera; what camera do you have on your mount..... This is getting so friggin cool...

MIKOS
For Updates: MIKOS ARTS on Twitter
http://TWITTER.COM/MIKOSarts
http://MIKOSarts.COM

squig
05-09-2009, 05:25 PM
that's no camera mount, that's a hatch off a decompression chamber.

Hunter Hampton
05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Grab from 1080/24p mode, Lomo 50mm T2.4 Anamorphic lens (@~T5.6), processed in Shake.

Finster
05-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Grab from 1080/24p mode, Lomo 50mm T2.4 Anamorphic lens, processed in Shake.

Nice! Beautiful shot.

So I've got to ask, after spending one week with this camera are you happy with it? The nay-sayers are coming out of the woodwork, saying it's filled with artifacts and that it's a "crippled codec."

Your work is top notch, and since you actually have a GH1 in hand I'd really value your opinion.

mrmoe
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Fan-F-In-Tas-Tic !!! Congrats

Footage. :)

Hunter Hampton
05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I think its depends on your motives and what you plan on using it for, Its not the best camera out there and it has its flaws- but it certainly wont limit your ability to make pretty pictures and execute something worth watching. The camera doesn't have to be perfect for you to be able to do your best with it. (if you think you cant do good work with this camera because it doesn't shoot uncompressed, thats your problem)

With that said its a great tool for $1500 and I will use it a lot for pre-visualizing "real" jobs and using it as a fun family video camera/ spur of the moment camera. I probably wont shoot anything serious on it (aside from some Doc work), but if someone asked me to use it on a serious job or film, I would certainly take them up on it.

No buyers remorse here- Its been the best and most versatile "consumer" camera I have ever used.

Finster
05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
You own the 5DM2, right? Is the GH1 in the same league?

Again, just curious to hear your opinion. I won't take your word as gospel truth.

Hunter Hampton
05-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I got rid of the 5Dm2 for the GH1- Manual control alone is worth trading for.

artforme
05-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I think its depends on your motives and what you plan on using it for, Its not the best camera out there and it has its flaws- but it certainly wont limit your ability to make pretty pictures and execute something worth watching. The camera doesn't have to be perfect for you to be able to do your best with it. (if you think you cant do good work with this camera because it doesn't shoot uncompressed, thats your problem)

With that said its a great tool for $1500 and I will use it a lot for pre-visualizing "real" jobs and using it as a fun family video camera/ spur of the moment camera. I probably wont shoot anything serious on it (aside from some Doc work), but if someone asked me to use it on a serious job or film, I would certainly take them up on it.

No buyers remorse here- Its been the best and most versatile "consumer" camera I have ever used.

Nicely said. :)

I look forward to getting some hands on experience with it. Seems like it will be a great tool to use in grad school to help me visualize certain techniques, etc. And the frame rate or compression is not a huge issue with me since I'm not planning on exporting to film with it.

squig
05-09-2009, 09:19 PM
hey Hunter I'm thinking about getting a 1.5x anamorphic adapter and cropping to 2.39:1. How do you like quality of the results of stretching in shake? I understand it can be done in AE too but I don't have either yet. And how does an anamorphic lens affect the GH1 with aliasing in 720p?

artforme
05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
What would be the main advantage of shooting on an anamorphic lens? I understand that it's awesome/amazing that you can do it with the GH1! But I'm curious what the practical applications would be. Shooting on an even wider format? Does it matter if your not projecting it?

Thanks for posting it though, and I dig blacking out the logos.

Joseph Stunzi
05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
What would be the main advantage of shooting on an anamorphic lens? I understand that it's awesome/amazing that you can do it with the GH1! But I'm curious what the practical applications would be. Shooting on an even wider format? Does it matter if your not projecting it?

Thanks for posting it though, and I dig blacking out the logos.

I'd say it's more of a proof of concept. As these DSLRs expand in their capabilities... their practical applications will also expand.

Maybe he just wants to take advantage of the new Phillips 21:9 flat screens!
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ssimmons/story/when_your_169_tv_isnt_enough_theres_219/

Obviously you're not losing any resolution with this method either! And you get those cool anamorphic lens flares!

This reminds me of an old thread I read on here! http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=54396

squig
05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
If you want to project 2.39:1 you have two options shoot anamorphic or crop. I'm pretty new to anamorphics but my thinking is the end result will look better shooting anamorphic. You get distortions and lens flares and some softening that you wouldn't get cropping.

But the real reason is because it's cool and because I can.

Hunter Hampton
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I just like the anamorphic lenses artifacts (oval shaped Bokeh, strong horizontal flares, extra shallow focus) Its the holygrail of 35mm cinematography and Its kinda fun getting some of that look on a $1500 camera that fits in your pocket.

squig
05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
it's not kinda fun it's bloody unreal!

Christopher Barry
05-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Hunter, does this PL mount, or will the future mount design, have micro collimation adjustability? Thank you.

Joseph Stunzi
05-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I just don't see anamorphic being used with the 5D2, GH1, D90 at all... these VDSLRs are aimed at Web Video. The quality has a ways to go before they can be projected!

However, the discussion of PL mount options is a necessary and important one to have in general!

j
05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Show us some flair!

squig
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I just don't see anamorphic being used with the 5D2, GH1, D90 at all... these VDSLRs are aimed at Web Video. The quality has a ways to go before they can be projected!

However, the discussion of PL mount options is a necessary and important one to have in general!

hehe, the DVX got projected. With good camera work, lighting, lenses, some softening, grain and cc I think it should hold up well. It's not 35mm but I'll settle for super16 until the GH2 comes out.

Kholi
05-09-2009, 11:22 PM

You also thought that people wanted them because they were cheap... not because of the Discreet interchangeable glass format.

Just pokin' some fun at ya. =D

But you're crazy if you think that the quality isn't enough to project as it stands. Either that or you don't pay attention or shoot enough.

Sorry man.

LizaWitz
05-12-2009, 03:51 AM
Is there any way to get a PL mount anamorphic lens, something in the 2.0-2.5:1 aspect ratio for $1,500 or less? Putting the whole package at $3k plus adapter cost.

Renting isn't a practical option for me. I'm figuring I'll crop 16:9 to 2:1 otherwise.

Christopher Barry
05-12-2009, 04:55 AM
After RED was announced, the cost effective Lomo glass on eBay started getting snapped up, and prices quickly jumped. I don't look so often now. Here (http://www.cineused.com/anamorphic.html) are some anamorphic lenses for sale, per on-line search. I have not had any dealings with this seller.

I acquired my Lomo 35mm lens sets in PL & OCT-19 over a year ago, and I was often competing with RED buyers on eBay. It may just be something you have to keep an eye on, checking eBay regularly, and if you do win a bid, you may have a quirky and somewhat unsafe method of paying and praying they ship from OS. I found it frustrating with one seller, but he had good lenses, and then another seller had poor quality and misrepresented the product on more than one occasion. Happy with my sets now, but glad I don't have to do that again, and anamorphic would be harder to find, imo.

Joseph Stunzi
05-12-2009, 07:42 AM
You also thought that people wanted them because they were cheap... not because of the Discreet interchangeable glass format.

Just pokin' some fun at ya. =D

But you're crazy if you think that the quality isn't enough to project as it stands. Either that or you don't pay attention or shoot enough.

Sorry man.

You seriously think that the GH1 could be projected in a theatre? Really? I don't think AVCHD or H.264 can hold up enough to be properly projected. AVCHD breaks with fast movement from what I've seen. True the GH1 doesn't show as many artifacts in generic use... but still... I don't think these VDSLRs are ready for the theatre.

I don't think shooting more would help me to see that either.

Plus... you're biased as we both know! :)

Joseph Stunzi
05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Is there any way to get a PL mount anamorphic lens, something in the 2.0-2.5:1 aspect ratio for $1,500 or less? Putting the whole package at $3k plus adapter cost.

Renting isn't a practical option for me. I'm figuring I'll crop 16:9 to 2:1 otherwise.

Good luck finding a PL lens in that price range. If I were you... I'd get the Contax mount and buy Contax lenses from Zeiss. They're antique... but they pull focus in the proper direction that most ACs are used to... and they're significantly cheaper than Zeiss ZFs with equal quality.

Ian-T
05-12-2009, 08:16 AM
If one shoots thier footage to where it does not break....then what would be the excuse to not be projected? heck...even nasty looking footage could be projected....go watch the "Blair With project." lol

It's funny though...I've heard these same comments about HDV for many years. But recent box office movies like Crank 2 and another horror flick last year seemed to suggest that those detractors were wrong.

Kholi
05-12-2009, 08:22 AM
You seriously think that the GH1 could be projected in a theatre? Really? I don't think AVCHD or H.264 can hold up enough to be properly projected. AVCHD breaks with fast movement from what I've seen. True the GH1 doesn't show as many artifacts in generic use... but still... I don't think these VDSLRs are ready for the theatre.

I don't think shooting more would help me to see that either.

Plus... you're biased as we both know! :)

lol

Of course it can be projected properly.

There's no reason why it couldn't. The only brick wall is the human that thinks that it can't.

It's funny because people said the SAME thing about DVX footage. We all know how THAT turned out. If your feature is even WORTH transferring to film, trust me, it will project and it will project well.

The idea that "this won't project, bah!" is totally irrelevant to the process because it's highly unlikely that you'll get beyond a Blu Ray release ANYWAY. And I assure you this camera is certainly PLENTY enough for that. Using Anamorphic lenses on a feature will add a LOT of aesthetic value if they're used in a way that doesn't call too much attention.

And it'll look incredible on a Blu Ray disc, a more likely scenario than Big Screen.

divide
05-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't know about GH1 but should I remind you h264 is standard for blu-ray ? Have you seen blu-ray movie on wide-screen ? Looks absolutely like in a theatre (if not better, cause some theatre don't focus accurately on the screen..).

As for the codec break, remember you can't pause the movie in a theatre, so if handled properly I'm pretty sure no one will stand up and shout "WOW that was an ugly codec break !" (unless your narration is absolutely boring ?).

Tracey Lee
05-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Hunter, can you tell us what options we have for anamorphic adapters? I am new to this idea and I am fairly lost Googling it. Can you get one for say a Nikon lens or something? Thanks!

John Caballero
05-12-2009, 08:47 AM
The fact is that in the not too distant future there won't be any film to transfer to. Everything projected will be done digitallyand most likekely from a server somewhere to a whole bunch of screens all over the world. Whoever doesn't understand that reality is living in another dimension. Material from DSLRs will be projected on big screens, there is absolutely no doubt about that. The potential is huge and many people will see it and exploit it accordingly. Whoever says it can't be done will stay way behind. Wait and witness.

Hunter Hampton
05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Anamorphic lenses are tricky because they have usually a pair of focusing elements, so if you buy an an anamorphic adapter, it will most likely not be able to focus without first setting focus on your taking lens and then focusing on your anamorphic lens. (this happens at the same time in the Lomo lenses I have for instance)

From what I have heard of people using non-focusing anamorphic adapters (like the panasonic 1.33x)- you probably wont be able to get focus on most cameras and lenses, especially on longer lenses. There are a few focusing anamorphic adapters made for 16mm and 8mm projectors that may work, but I think you will still need to focus both your taking lens and the adapter. Its really the best thing just to use a set of anamorphics designed for cinematography- but they are not cheap to buy ($10-15k at the very least)- renting would be a good option.

There is though a rare sought after set of ISCORAMA 1.5x anamorphic lenses in NIKON mount, they will work just like cinema lenses but they are very hard to find and are over priced when you do find them.

Ian-T
05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
As for the codec break, remember you can't pause the movie in a theatre, so if handled properly I'm pretty sure no one will stand up and shout "WOW that was an ugly codec break !" (unless your narration is absolutely boring ?)...>Exactly!!!< The ony ones that would know are the folks behind the scenes. But when watching the movie...most people would enjoy the whole package. Think "28 Days Later." I enjoyed the movie like anyone else. I never noticed that it was too soft (or whatever else was found about it). I only found that out several years later in forums like these. But as an audience member watching the movie....that was the furthest thing from my mind. The Gh-1...the HV20...The HVX200....all of these cam exceeds the resolution of the cam used in that film. As far as the breaking in the GH-1...I've seen anomolies like that in film sometimes. Just go to Apple.com and watch a bunch of trailers...you'll see what I'm talking about. The goal here...for this cam....is to minimize it now that we know this is its weakness in 24p. The more footage I see from Kholi, SonicStates, Phil and Hunter...the more I'm willing to work around these shortcomings. I love my HV20...it can make some very beutiful pictures...but it's wither going back on the market or will be having a companion in a few....

sunburst
05-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I dont think theres any question these camera images can be theatre projected.

Today.

But I believe the new standard for theatrical projection is 4K.

Yep, Hollywood staying one step ahead of Indies. { and home hd }

Joseph Stunzi
05-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I dont think theres any question these camera images can be theatre projected.

Today.

But I believe the new standard for theatrical projection is 4K.

Yep, Hollywood staying one step ahead of Indies. { and home hd }

Film is higher definition then 4K if I remember correctly. Plus, REDRay will have all of us enjoying those 4K films at home! I wouldn't consider RED Hollywood... I'd consider them their own entity.... with their own route to action! But that's just me.

John Caballero
05-12-2009, 10:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema)

sunburst
05-12-2009, 10:32 AM
REDRay will have all of us enjoying those 4K films at home!

wow. things are moving fast. I didnt even know about that.

but of course HOME HD STANDARD is barely 1080p. { half the sets are still
720 }

And we should ALL HOPE it stays that way. Lets hope 1080p for the home stays the MAX standard for the next 80 years. ++++++

( Just like famous filmakers could count on 35 for their careers)

this changing formats is CRAZY!!!!

I doubt 4k tvs will be in walmarts for a good long time. so we are probably safe.

sunburst
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
wouldn't consider RED Hollywood

exactly right. the ANTI hollywood.

Corporate hollywood didnt want red. Hollywood doesn't want 4k dvds.
( No studio will release on them, watch }

What Indies need now, sad to say , is a 5K dslr!

Even the red is somewhat obsolete, since the new digital projection standard
will be 4 k. and you need the epic 5 k for effects work.

sigh.

Isaac_Brody
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Even the red is somewhat obsolete, since the new digital projection standard
will be 4 k. and you need the epic 5 k for effects work.

sigh.

Really? And just where will you screen your 5k films? The industry still screens on 2k projectors, and the next big push isn't for 4 or 5K projection, it's for 3d. The industry is praying that 3d catches on in a big way and they've put millions towards converting theaters towards 3d projection.

I love this whole future proofing concept Red has pushed but it's easy to get divorced from the reality of today and what's available. Blu-Ray is pushing towards more saturation, and with the amount of time it took for standard def dvd to take hold the studios are in no rush to switch to Red Ray or another format. That's the reality.

The other big option which has nothing to do with 4K or 5k is internet distribution channels like on demand and Netflix watch it now.

Indies don't need 5K, they need to make watchable films. That's always been the indie weakness, unwatchable content that has no chance of a wider distribution.

[/OFFTOPIC]

Hunter, let's see some footage already. You're having too much fun and we want to see some anamorphic goodness. :)

Ian-T
05-12-2009, 12:14 PM
How about a 4k compact JVC? (http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-18076-JVC%20intros%20a%20new%208%20and%204k%20video%20pr ojector%20and%20a%204k%20compact%20Video%20Camera. html)
News (http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2009/nab/kyf4000.html)

ChipG
05-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Indies don't need 5K, they need to make watchable films. That's always been the indie weakness, unwatchable content that has no chance of a wider distribution.

I have always said if your movie looks bad in 1080 it's going to look really bad in 4k.

Ok,

Hunter how about some footage?

Kholi
05-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Really? And just where will you screen your 5k films? The industry still screens on 2k projectors, and the next big push isn't for 4 or 5K projection, it's for 3d. The industry is praying that 3d catches on in a big way and they've put millions towards converting theaters towards 3d projection.

I love this whole future proofing concept Red has pushed but it's easy to get divorced from the reality of today and what's available. Blu-Ray is pushing towards more saturation, and with the amount of time it took for standard def dvd to take hold the studios are in no rush to switch to Red Ray or another format. That's the reality.

The other big option which has nothing to do with 4K or 5k is internet distribution channels like on demand and Netflix watch it now.

[/OFFTOPIC]

Hunter, let's see some footage already. You're having too much fun and we want to see some anamorphic goodness. :)

Seriously, man.

sunburst
05-12-2009, 12:29 PM
How about a 4k compact JVC?
News

ha. there you go!

philip bloom
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM

I have been using this adaptor and it was great, check out my blog for more:

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/05/12/panasonic-lumix-gh1-in-joshua-tree-and-pl-lenses/

jenningsp
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM

if 4k is going to be the new standard of projected material, then we need a sensor with 30% more rez than 4k coz of the debayering or someting. and for compositing work we need more than that.... and we need 20+ stops of DR with most of it above 50IRE. and a s35 4:3 sized sensor with overscan. also it needs to be clean up till 10,000 ASA. then cooke needs to make s4's for the price of used nikons or cheaper preferably and offer an anamorphic on/off switch.

once i have that in 3D i'll be able write a decent script.

sunburst
05-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Well absolutely right to point this out. This should be a sticky!:)

The industry still screens on 2k projectors, and the next big push isn't for 4 or 5K projection, it's for 3d.

Yes, but if 3d fails, or sputters, want to bet whats next? 4k!

Only way to compete with home 2k.

PappasArts
05-12-2009, 12:55 PM

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/05/12/panasonic-lumix-gh1-in-joshua-tree-and-pl-lenses/

That's really cool Philip. The frames on you page from the shoot, those are from the video; correct?

The images are smooth. It reminds me of 16/s16mm, however grain-less like 16mm isn't.. Nice PL mount too!

Park Edwards
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
The RED doesn't really shoot 4k

ChipG
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Red = true 3K camera

John Caballero
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Philip Bloom, great stuff as usual. Can't wait the finished film. Good job.

squig
05-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Hunter anamorphic petition started

Go to youtube and do a search on anamorphic, there's some stuff to look at there. Nice lens flares and distorted horizontal lines.

There's a couple of those nikon mount iscorama lenses on ebay for around $1000

I've been doing some googling on anamorphic adapters. People use old projector lenses and mount them on dv, 16mm, and 8mm cams. They were mostly made in Japan, germany, and russia. The main issues with them appear to be softening, focusing, and vignetting, some work ok others don't. I'm going to pick up a cheapie and give it a try, I'll report back with some footage when my GH1 arrives.

dvpixl
05-12-2009, 02:24 PM

talk about an ideal compact cinema camera. I only wish that Mr. Bloom would have been using a black GH-1 so I can see how seamless the set up would look.

PappasArts
05-12-2009, 02:56 PM
talk about an ideal compact cinema camera. I only wish that Mr. Bloom would have been using a black GH-1 so I can see how seamless the set up would look.

Ascetically the system looks quite streamlined IMO!

You must mean cosmetically; never really been into the Max Factor camera philosophy.

For Updates: MIKOS • MLPappas on Twitter
http://PAPPASARTS.WORDPRESS.COM
http://TWITTER.COM/PAPPASARTS
http://MIKOSarts.wordpress.com

http://www.PappasArts.com

Park Edwards
05-12-2009, 03:01 PM
shooting anamorphic isn't as simple as most think. some dp's have been replaced on major sets due to their lack of experience. it's a whole a new ball game. i wouldn't consider shooting anamorphic unless you really know what you're doing behind the camera.

dvpixl
05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
yes, I meant cosmetically. I have to admit that stuff matters to me.

As for this PL mount, how much is it and where do you get one if you wanted one?

Hunter Hampton
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
That PL mount Philip used should come out before the GH1 is released in the US.

As I understand, Its going to be a full kit, rail support, PL support (because movie lenses are heavy- as is the PL mount) and of course the PL mount.

I dont think the pricing is firm, but its not going to be cheap (~$1000?). They are being made by Hot Rod (contact this guy: illyafriedman@gmail.com). It looks like its going to be a solid product.

dvpixl
05-12-2009, 04:46 PM
price seems fair for what it is.

thanks for the info.

Ian-T
05-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Its really the best thing just to use a set of anamorphics designed for cinematography- but they are not cheap to buy ($10-15k at the very least)- renting would be a good option.
I found a Russian site earlier that showed some anamorphic cinema lens averaging around $4,000. If I find it I'll post back.

Edit: I think this (http://www.anamorphic.biz/) was it.

Hunter Hampton
05-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I was talking about a set. They are $20k a set from Ken Rich (that guys website).

Kholi
05-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Hunter. You has some Vimeo footages of anamorphics to shares? =D

philip bloom
05-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Red is the new black...

PappasArts
05-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Though, not the PLmount setup :-(....... Here are my lens testings with the Panasonic anamorphic attachment I started many months ago hoping to to use on a 5D or whatever gets selected, I've gotten crap from some people saying " anamorphic is soft, distorts blah blah. Well so do promist filters or even film flashing technically. I've always loved anamorphic, however not for sharpness which we know, it's for the ascetics that anamorphic is. There are a few other reasons, one being your FOV on the horizontal is different at the same distance to spherical cropped. It has a more dimensional look to it. I have been testing out various adapters attachments including the Panasonic 1.33x cause buying Hawks 1.33x on a 5D or whatever DSLR is cost prohibitive. Renting Hawks can be an option too...

Some samples:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/NEILANA.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/ANANODATA.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/IMG_0646-GP.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/ANAMORPHIC1copy.jpg

Panny 1.33x anamorphic on a 19mm to 35mm zoom. Below is a shot at 19mm, which stretches the boundary. At 20mm to 22mm the sides are clear, however I wanted to test worst case.

Click thumbnail
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/th_19mmto13mmanamorphic.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/?action=view&current=19mmto13mmanamorphic.jpg)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/th_35MMF19.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/?action=view&current=35MMF19.jpg)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/th_28mmf25new.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/?action=view&current=28mmf25new.jpg)

The camera I use for testing this setup:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/IMG_4227.jpg

MIKOS

BlackMagic Digital Camera Info Thread: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?28-BlackMagic-Cinema-Camera-Technology-Announcements-amp-Latest-Info

mico
05-14-2009, 07:37 PM
That looks fantastic. How are you attaching the adapter to each lens and what are you doing in post to unstreach?

Ian-T
05-14-2009, 08:15 PM
wow.....

Matty_g
05-14-2009, 09:08 PM
square front or round front Hunter?
Love to see some footage.

pix2pixels
05-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I've been using these adaptors on pd150.

How does it look with long lenses?
Can you zoom through without loosing focus?

Hunter Hampton
05-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Matty- I only have so so footage from the squarefronts right now, but Im getting a set of round fronts pretty soon. I just dont want to post anything thats not a good a example of what you can do with the camera, Im going to Seattle next week and hopefully I will comeback with a film.

squig
05-14-2009, 11:44 PM
The GH1 needs a bit of softening so anamorphic should look good. Now that I have my isco-54 I don't think I want to shoot anything without it.

pix, bugger zooming

squig
05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
cool pappas. they look like test shots from apocalypse now.

hunter I hate you :-Cry(DBG):

jenningsp
05-15-2009, 02:35 AM
squig,

i read somewhere that the anamorphic ISCO nikon mount lens makes the image shake when you change focus during a shot.. is this true?

squig
05-15-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't know much about the iscorama nikon mount lenses, I don't have anywhere near enough money to get anamorphic lenses in different focal lengths. mine is just an old projector lens that I screw onto the filter threads of my lenses.

jenningsp
05-15-2009, 03:09 AM
ah. i assumed isco-54 meant the isco nikon lens.

i was gonna pick one up a few years ago but then read that thing about the shaking... i think that was over at the red forum... i might pick up one of these panasonic anamorphic attachments....

does anyone know what focal lengths it works with on a full frame 35mm camera?

squig
05-15-2009, 03:20 AM
I've done some reading on the panasonic and it didn't seem worth the money, you could probably get something that looks better for less. jack in the D90 forum has one and has used it on the D90.

here's a listing of different anamorphic options- http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Anamorphic_Lenses

Zack Birlew
05-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep, I use the Panasonic adapter. It seems to be a real gem on these VDSLRs. The 1080P on the 5D Mark II really helps sell it though based on these pics and the full frame sensor might be helping as well. Through various tests, I've found that the adapter can work all the way through 300mm, I would test further but I don't have anything beyond 300mm. The only drawback is that you would have to stop down to get rid of the image blur, which is normal.

I've done extensive testing on my Nikon 50mm 1.2 and found that f/1.2 is useable but it all depends on what you want in the shot. The focus is insane at that stop and you have to imagine holding up your camera's LCD and pointing at a spot on it with your pinky. That will be about the size the focus spot will be and it shifts depending on your focus. It's weird yet, in the right instance, it can work, much like any cinematography technique, no matter how strange, would. But this is on the D90, things could be different on the 5D Mark II or even the GH1, all of them will require testing because, as I've said about the 5D Mark II examples, each one will handle the anamorphic adapter a little differently than the others.

PappasArts
05-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Yeah the Panasonic gets a lot of attacks,; yet I have had it on very high res cameras, and it hold it's own well. Just need to follow a few rules, that are mainly those connected to anamorphic filming. People say it's soft on their dvx; well which one was the chicken or the egg. Maybe it's the DVX that was the soft element. You mention at f1.2, That's pushing it in anamorphic. Anything really between 1.0 2.0 T or F stop is pushing other than the latest Panavision or Hawk anamorphics. For the most part all my test's have been wide open for worst case scenario performance. However things don't start to optically get good tell 2.8 then at .f4 way much better. Wide open simply increases astigmatism and softeness that is inherent with anamorphics. At f.4 it's minimal, at 5.6 it's gone. This goes for almost any anamorphic system.

Here is a 35mm f1.9 test I shot the other day.
Btw, I would feel sorry for the AC's pulling focus in anamorphic at F1.9. Talk about a torture
test.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/35MMF19.jpg

This is a 28mm @ f2.5 at 1600asa to test lowlight.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/28mmf25new.jpg

Here is a 19 to 35mm f3.5 lens set at 19mm at f.4. 19mm wides are pushing it since with the anamorphic wide-angel conversion
the 19mm is now a 12.73mm lens on the horizontal. At 20 to 22mm, the sides clean up. So a 22mm becomes a 14.47mm on the horizontal
when anamorphic adapter applied.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/19TO35MMNEW.jpg

BlackMagic Digital Camera Info Thread: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?28-BlackMagic-Cinema-Camera-Technology-Announcements-amp-Latest-Info

[QUOTE=PappasArts;1637705]Though, not the PLmount setup :-(....... Here are my lens testings with the Panasonic anamorphic attachment I started many months ago hoping to to use on a 5D or whatever gets selected, I've gotten crap from some people saying " anamorphic is soft, distorts blah blah. Well so do promist filters or even film flashing technically. I've always loved anamorphic, however not for sharpness which we know, it's for the ascetics that anamorphic is. There are a few other reasons, one being your FOV on the horizontal is different at the same distance to spherical cropped. It has a more dimensional look to it. I have been testing out various adapters attachments including the Panasonic 1.33x cause buying Hawks 1.33x on a 5D or whatever DSLR is cost prohibitive. Renting Hawks can be an option too...

Some samples:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/NEILANA.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/ANANODATA.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/IMG_0646-GP.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/ANAMORPHIC1copy.jpg

Panny 1.33x anamorphic on a 19mm to 35mm zoom. Below is a shot at 19mm, which stretches the boundary. At 20mm to 22mm the sides are clear, however I wanted to test worst case.

Click thumbnail
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/th_19mmto13mmanamorphic.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/?action=view&current=19mmto13mmanamorphic.jpg)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/th_35MMF19.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/?action=view&current=35MMF19.jpg)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/th_28mmf25new.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/?action=view&current=28mmf25new.jpg)

The camera I use for testing this setup:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/IMG_4227.jpg

MIKOS

Hunter Hampton
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Do you have any longer lens examples? Those look way better than I thought they would!

PappasArts
05-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Do you have any longer lens examples? Those look way better than I thought they would!

I just posted a few more large frames above Hunter.

Longest lens I have tested; I will look through my test archives. I have been testing this stuff for months now; just didn't talk about it on here until yesterday, so I have amassed quite the amount of testing data. Long lenses are a tough one, cause you need to stop down to avoid astigmatism from the paired optical elements..

MIKOS

Matty_g
05-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Anything really between 1.0 2.0 T or F stop is pushing other than the latest Panavision or Hawk anamorphics.

Add the elites to that list too. Have some music video stuff with them wide open at t2 that is stunning.

Also, I have a set of squarefront lomos that are t 2.5 and pretty damn good wide open.

mcgeedigital
05-15-2009, 01:50 PM
footage or it didn't happen.

qft!

Matty_g
05-15-2009, 02:21 PM
was that to me or to hunter?

squig
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Yep, I use the Panasonic adapter. It seems to be a real gem on these VDSLRs. The 1080P on the 5D Mark II really helps sell it though based on these pics and the full frame sensor might be helping as well. Through various tests, I've found that the adapter can work all the way through 300mm, I would test further but I don't have anything beyond 300mm. The only drawback is that you would have to stop down to get rid of the image blur, which is normal.

is there more or less aliasing on the 5D with the anamorphic adapter?

Zack Birlew
05-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Dunno, I'm judging by the screenshots shown on here. Michael can tell you better than I can.

squig
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
how wide can you go before you get vignetting?

Hunter Hampton
05-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Just for laughs...

squig
05-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Oh very stealthy

footage or it didn't happen!

just noticed some round lomo's on ebay.

don't you think you're pushing the weight limit with that GH1 on there?

good luck keeping up with the kid with that thing

Zacatac
05-15-2009, 06:27 PM
You know.... there is something called Overkill...

squig
05-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I feel sorry for the kid.....3 hours in makeup for that shot!

dad has better toys too

PappasArts
05-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Just for laughs...

How awesome. Me wants!

Anamorphic Lens Test Images... links:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1638289&postcount=97
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1637705&postcount=84

PappasArts
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
is there more or less aliasing on the 5D with the anamorphic adapter?

No more than any given wide spherical lens would have..

Funny, I need to repost a good conversation about people shooting with Panavions Genesis, and how to deal with aliasing problems with sets and wardrobes. It made me laugh..

PappasArts
05-15-2009, 07:25 PM

On the 5D it starts around 25mm to 28mm.

On a APS-C 1.6 crop sensor, it's starts around 18 to 20mm.

However, remember that an anamorphic is a .67x wide angle lens just in the horizontal axis. So a 28mm becomes a 18.76mm lens approximately in the horizontal axis...

squig
05-15-2009, 07:34 PM
On the 5D it starts around 25mm to 28mm.

On a APS-C 1.6 crop sensor, it's starts around 18 to 20mm.

However, remember that an anamorphic is a .67x wide angle lens just in the horizontal axis. So a 28mm becomes a 18.76mm lens approximately in the horizontal axis...

ok so with the smaller GH1 sensor and my larger 1.5x anamorphic adapter I should theoretically be able to go down to 10-14mm without vignetting. However I do like a bit of vignetting.

Can't wait to try it out.....cinemascope baby! there's no turning back now

PappasArts
05-15-2009, 08:11 PM
However I do like a bit of vignetting.

Yeah, you should be getting some pretty wide panoramics with that.

Vignetting is a bad thing. However artistically I understand it. That said, you never want it
to be forced on you by system limitations, making you live with lens to sensor artifacts like that. Best to add it in post or modify the lens system to make it happen on location, so you can disengage the process on other given shots, or not.

j
05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
That's cool Hunter. I'm saving pic#2 for future overkill reference.

-J

squig
05-15-2009, 08:30 PM
well as I have to crop my 1.5x anamorphic image to get 2.39:1 there shouldn't be any vignetting. yeah I generally add a bit in post. I added a little in my cemetery test footage for the film. It's barely visible but just helps draw attention to centre of the frame and gives it an extra filmic quality.

squig
05-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't want to be there when hunter goes to war, he'd start lobbing nukes in a firefight.

PappasArts
05-15-2009, 08:52 PM
well as I have to crop my 1.5x anamorphic image to get 2.39:1 there shouldn't be any vignetting. yeah I generally add a bit in post. I added a little in my cemetery test footage for the film. It's barely visible but just helps draw attention to centre of the frame and gives it an extra filmic quality.

Can't wait to see your footage you get with that baby.......

SonicStates
05-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't want to be there when hunter goes to war, he'd start lobbing nukes in a firefight.

I guess if you ever needed to shoot anti-tank/anti-aircraft weapon footage you can just take the cam off and put said weapons on that crazy tripod set up...90mm gun no prob.

squig
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Can't wait to see your footage you get with that baby.......

I know I know, I'm more excited about the lens than I am about the camera. I don't think it will arrive till after I send off the D90........then I have to wait till the GH1 comes.....it's killing me! Hunter mount a scud on that thing and please put me out of my misery

Illya Friedman
05-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Just for laughs...

Use it if you got it!

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

Zack Birlew
05-16-2009, 08:57 AM

Just letting you know, I've put the Panasonic anamorphic adapter on my Tokina 11-16 zoom. There is vignetting all the way to 16mm and then it disappears. My friends, 16mm anamorphic is truly epic. Granted, I wouldn't use it for closeups as it distorts pretty bad in the middle but if you want "Lawrence of Arabia" landscape shots, then 16mm is where it's at.

AdrianF
05-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Jack, what camera did you try this with, was it Four Thirds or a Full Frame? Just trying to get an idea of how this would work on say the m4/3 7-14mm.

Zack Birlew
05-16-2009, 09:30 AM
I've got a Nikon D90. I can't guarantee that there wouldn't be vignetting on Full Frame sensors but it should be no problem on the Micro 4/3" of the GH1, as a matter of fact, you might be able to get some more out of the Tokina on a GH1 but don't hold me to that.

AdrianF
05-16-2009, 09:34 AM
ok, so I'm thinking that going out as wide as 10mm on the GH1, with this adapter should avoid vignetting hopefully. If I can get hold of an adapter then I have to try this out!

Kholi
05-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Just for laughs...

Lmfao. Awesome

PappasArts
05-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Just letting you know, I've put the Panasonic anamorphic adapter on my Tokina 11-16 zoom. There is vignetting all the way to 16mm and then it disappears. My friends, 16mm anamorphic is truly epic. Granted, I wouldn't use it for closeups as it distorts pretty bad in the middle but if you want "Lawrence of Arabia" landscape shots, then 16mm is where it's at.

In APS-C with a 1.33x anamorphic, anything wider than 19mm approx; vignetting and slight blurring begins. Remember though, 1.33x which is .67x wide angle lens on the horizontal axis turns that 19mm into a FOV on the H axis to a 12.73mm approx lens.

On 5D MII full frame, vignetting and slight blurring starts at around 27mm approx and the .67x anamorphic on the H. Axis turns that into a 18mm FOV on a full frame.

squig
05-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I just scored another anamorphic adapter.....can't help myself. It's an optex 1.33x, same design as the century optics 16x9. I've been reading up on them and apparently the alignment of the 2 pieces of glass is very precise and a lot of the century lenses were out of alignment from the factory which explains the mixed reviews. I've seen some footage from them that looked good so hopefully this is one of the good ones. I wanted something small and stealthy to go alongside my isco-54 bazooka for steadicam work and possible kit lens AF use.

lyonfilms
05-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Hunter -

Enjoying the thread. Looks like working with the camera has come along since you had it over at our office the first day you got it.

Hey, when you get back from Seattle, we are shooting some very cool scenes for our DVX short TFG at a few great locations and sets. You should bring the GH1 and shoot some BTS stuff or some test shots :)

PappasArts
05-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I just scored another anamorphic adapter.....can't help myself. It's an optex 1.33x, same design as the century optics 16x9. I've been reading up on them and apparently the alignment of the 2 pieces of glass is very precise and a lot of the century lenses were out of alignment from the factory which explains the mixed reviews. I've seen some footage from them that looked good so hopefully this is one of the good ones. I wanted something small and stealthy to go alongside my isco-54 bazooka for steadicam work and possible kit lens AF use.

I owned the Optex and have the Century. Now you just need a camera............

Zack Birlew
05-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Wait a sec, we're getting a little far into this thread and I'm with everyone else, where's the footage?:(

philip bloom
05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Wait a sec, we're getting a little far into this thread and I'm with everyone else, where's the footage?:(

my footage will be online thursday at press launch of gh1 in europe....

Kholi
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Anamorphic footages!!!

squig
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
2 adapters in transit.......no camera :violin:

hunter!

pix2pixels
05-19-2009, 03:15 PM
2 adapters in transit.......no camera :violin:

hunter!

You lucky bastard... Here, no adaptor, no camera. :beer:

squig
05-21-2009, 01:58 AM
My Isco-54 anamorphic adapter came today just before I was about to send the D90 to it's new home so I went out into the foul weather and shot some test footage. I mounted the isco onto a nikon 35mm f/2 ai. I tried a 28mm but got some vignetting. My first impressions are that the isco should work very well on a GH1. The GH1's smaller sensor should allow me to use a 28mm lens perhaps even a 24mm. The isco only close focuses to 2m so to get tight head shots on the D90 I had to use a 135mm lens. With the extra crop on the GH1 I could get those shots with a 105mm.

anthonybsd
05-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Amazing job Mr Bloom! I know I have no chance of ever making even 1 second of something like this footage in my lifetime but I'm glad someone can. Stupid J&R, ship faster!

Nighthawk
05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
My Isco-54 anamorphic adapter came today just before I was about to send the D90 to it's new home so I went out into the foul weather and shot some test footage. I mounted the isco onto a nikon 35mm f/2 ai. I tried a 28mm but got some vignetting. My first impressions are that the isco should work very well on a GH1. The GH1's smaller sensor should allow me to use a 28mm lens perhaps even a 24mm. The isco only close focuses to 2m so to get tight head shots on the D90 I had to use a 135mm lens. With the extra crop on the GH1 I could get those shots with a 105mm.

Gotta ask. I've tried to find an Isco-54 and even an Optex 1.33x with no real luck. Can you point me in the right direction? Are these harder to find than I envisioned?

squig
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Gotta ask. I've tried to find an Isco-54 and even an Optex 1.33x with no real luck. Can you point me in the right direction? Are these harder to find than I envisioned?

I found both on ebay last week. They don't come along very often.

Nick Walters
07-26-2009, 05:57 PM
There is though a rare sought after set of ISCORAMA 1.5x anamorphic lenses in NIKON mount, they will work just like cinema lenses but they are very hard to find and are over priced when you do find them.

I dunno about insanely overpriced...I missed the boat on one on E-bay...it went for about $700

matt9b
10-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Where can I get me an iscorama 36 lens? Don't seem to be any on ebay or anywhere...

Martti Ekstrand
10-10-2009, 07:47 AM
There are some massive threads in the 5D section about Iscorama lenses. Check them.

schakal.
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Hello!

So, i have a GH1 and a Panasonic 1,33 Anamorphic Lens
The Anamorphic lens has a 72mm thread...

My GH1 stock lens, has an 62mm thread...

My problem is, that it is not possible to mount my GH1 to this anamorphic adapter with a 62 to 72 step up ring, because the thread at the 72mm side of the step up ring (HAMA) is too short.

So, what kind of step up ring is the best one for attach this lens, or some ohter lenses which has not an 72mm thread????

Im waiting for information :)

So pls, let me know!

Sry for bad english cause, im from austria :)

Greetz!!!!

pix2pixels
10-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Maybe you could be lucky with a different adaptor. There are some cheap ones (http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=step+up+ring+62-72mm&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&_odkw=step+up+ring+62mm&_osacat=0) on ebay. Worth a try.

Abe
10-28-2009, 03:13 PM
I am using a Tiffen 62 - 72 step up ring (old and thick) and it has enough depth for the adapter. I am still trying to find a way to keep the adapter in the straight up angle when I screw in. I saw PappasArts (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=3500) has a good way to mount the adapter as well as the eye cup. Someone might have better ways to do it.

schakal.
10-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Where can i get such a step up ring?

Are there other brands, who will make a step up ring for this?

ryancglover
11-01-2009, 07:31 AM
my first super quick test with the Panny 1.33x Anamorphic.. (cranked up iso + still underexposed and gross, sorry)

720P with canon FD 28mm f/2 at 2.8 & 1/2

i'm going to try to do some better test tomorrow if i have the time. excited with the look so far!

ryancglover
11-10-2009, 06:33 AM
..just posted some more test footage of the panasonic 1.33x anamorphic adapter in the footage section: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=189964

spidey
02-22-2010, 06:45 PM
is there any video footage with the anamorphic lens?

donotjump
06-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Finally my PL mount showed up. Now I can use my anamorphics! Here is my take on a digital directors viewfinder. Sorry, I got excited!

I like that hand grip attached to the gh1 on page 1....
anyone knows more info about it?

biginvegas
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I like that hand grip attached to the gh1 on page 1....
anyone knows more info about it?

Hunters might be an Arri for a viewfinder, kinda rare, this one on ebay is nice and cheap....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200622198986+&clk_rvr_id=244089417937

donotjump
06-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Hunters might be an Arri for a viewfinder, kinda rare, this one on ebay is nice and cheap....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200622198986+&clk_rvr_id=244089417937

Thanks for the link~